Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way JFK Airport to Paramus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Best way JFK Airport to Paramus

Plan to fly from Seattle to Paramus in early April.
Jet Blue seems the least expensive; it flies to JFK.
We prefer a direct transport (no transfers), which I guess would mean by taxi.

Just did an initial Google search regarding transport.
It showed that from JFK to Paramus a taxi would be $100 + tip.
But I also read that there is a taxi shortage, and therefore long waits, from some JFK terminals.
JetBlue would land at JFK terminal 5.

Is the taxi option our best option (and is $100 the usual price)?
If yes, how much of a tip would be expected?
Any lower-cost (but not too slow) options, such as direct bus or shared van, etc.?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Uber, which will be more comfortable than a taxi, is quoting $111. I’m not sure what people’s practice is in terms of tipping uber drivers, but you should round up the taxi fare to the nearest dollar and tip the taxi driver at least $20.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
JFK to New Jersey is one of the worst ground transits to be found in the US. Anywhere from 3:30 to 8:00 PM (rush hour) will be even worse. I would think long and hard about whether you are achieving meaningful savings flying B6 into JFK rather than UA or AS into EWR.

Bear in mind not only the time, but the significantly cheaper ground transport from EWR.
FlyinHawaiian and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
JFK to New Jersey is one of the worst ground transits to be found in the US. Anywhere from 3:30 to 8:00 PM (rush hour) will be even worse. I would think long and hard about whether you are achieving meaningful savings flying B6 into JFK rather than UA or AS into EWR.

Bear in mind not only the time, but the significantly cheaper ground transport from EWR.
I'm a big jetBlue fanboy, but I would agree that EWR would be easier. The JFK economics may work out if there are a few of you.

That said, a couple of quick notes:
If you are on the red eye, rush hour will slow you down. If you are on the evening arrival, you should be fine.
The prices mentioned upthread are all in the reasonable range.
NYC Yellow cabs can refuse trips outside of the city. I would not just go to the cab stand, I would pre-arrange my ride to avoid this.
When prearranging a ride, beware the tolls. You are responsible for round trip tolls for the vehicle and they are a significant addition to the fare. Make sure that the tolls are included in the price quoted. Some car services do, some do not. Lyft includes these fees.

Have a good trip.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:06 pm

Tolls are generally included in the quote for Uber and Lyft (the price they quote is all-in unless you add a tip). But you can't prearrange the ride or set the price ahead of time (both Uber and Lyft offer a prebooking option, but all this does is request a ride at a preset time--you won't get a driver any faster that way than if you manually requested a ride at the same time, and the fare won't be determined until the actual request happens, so you're still subject to "surge" pricing if there happens to be high demand at the time your request is actually made).

Traditional car services like Dial7 and the like do NOT include tolls in their quotes, and many drivers will insist on being paid the roundtrip cash-rate tolls (not the EZpass rates). But at least those services let you prearrange the ride and know the exact fare ahead of time.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:08 am

If you don't want to use Uber and Lyft which are most comfy ones and not too expensive, then public transportation is the way to go but you would need to do a couple of transfers I am afraid.

Take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station, go to the ground floor where the connection to the Subway is available. Hop on the E train, To Manhattan and hop off at Port Authority Bus Station. There you have the bus line 163 that goes to Paramus. Bus ride is approximately 15-20 minutes on the express bus. Total cost will be around $15

Las time I ride an Uber to Tenafly from JFK it cost me $70, George Washington bridge toll included. It was at 20:00 approximately.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I second taking the UA/AS nonstop to EWR, or if you really want to stick with B6, fly SEA-BOS-EWR
Dianne47 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.