Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Which airline for monthly commute NYC-BOS? Or free agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH

I'm about to move from NYC to Boston. My job is allowing me to be a remote worker with the agreement that I'll work out of the NY HQ a week a month. One of the things I'm considering is flying back and forth. The monthly trips should net me 24 segments - that along with the likely 6 segments of work travel in addition will get me to 30 segments for the bottom tier of AA, UA or DL. The other 3 R/Ts for work would be to China (HKG or CAN), AUS and another tech city (generally for a tech conference of some sort). Given the competition on the route the fares seem to be lined up across all the carriers so it would seem that free agent wouldn't be any benefit vs the possibility of gaining a bottom tier status.

I think the main competitors are DL or B6. I'm staying with family east of the East River so UA and EWR doesn't make much sense. AA is a one-stop to AUS whereas DL and B6 have non-stops to AUS from BOS. My wife loves B6 for our leisure travel because we can book Mint but for my three R/Ts to HKG/CAN, AUS and other I worry about service recovery with B6. Not worried about service recovery on the NYC-BOS since if it gets cancelled or waivered I'd just take a bus. Not to mention that I don't think my TPAC long haul would earn anything towards Mosaic even if I flew a B6 partner. Which leaves me with DL since I can get to CAN on CZ or HKG on DL. Am I missing something?

A couple of other points - another way to look at it is to just bus it and use the savings to buy premium cabin. I didn't involve Amtrak since even though an argument could be made that it's the same amount of time with security etc on the train - a) it takes the same or more time than the bus and costs more and b) chasing Amtrak status doesn't help me with my other travel.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by coloneltigh
I'm about to move from NYC to Boston. My job is allowing me to be a remote worker with the agreement that I'll work out of the NY HQ a week a month. One of the things I'm considering is flying back and forth. The monthly trips should net me 24 segments - that along with the likely 6 segments of work travel in addition will get me to 30 segments for the bottom tier of AA, UA or DL. The other 3 R/Ts for work would be to China (HKG or CAN), AUS and another tech city (generally for a tech conference of some sort). Given the competition on the route the fares seem to be lined up across all the carriers so it would seem that free agent wouldn't be any benefit vs the possibility of gaining a bottom tier status.

I think the main competitors are DL or B6. I'm staying with family east of the East River so UA and EWR doesn't make much sense. AA is a one-stop to AUS whereas DL and B6 have non-stops to AUS from BOS. My wife loves B6 for our leisure travel because we can book Mint but for my three R/Ts to HKG/CAN, AUS and other I worry about service recovery with B6. Not worried about service recovery on the NYC-BOS since if it gets cancelled or waivered I'd just take a bus. Not to mention that I don't think my TPAC long haul would earn anything towards Mosaic even if I flew a B6 partner. Which leaves me with DL since I can get to CAN on CZ or HKG on DL. Am I missing something?

A couple of other points - another way to look at it is to just bus it and use the savings to buy premium cabin. I didn't involve Amtrak since even though an argument could be made that it's the same amount of time with security etc on the train - a) it takes the same or more time than the bus and costs more and b) chasing Amtrak status doesn't help me with my other travel.
AA appears to be in full retreat from China so that might factor into your decision. Why not just go with DL?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Are you looking to fly to HKG from NYC? Or any one-stop from BOS? Only asking as (I think) UA is the only one of the US3 to fly NYC-HKG direct...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:09 pm

Can you be more specific than "east of the East River".

-David
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Can you be more specific than "east of the East River".

-David
Queens - Rego Park. My office is by WTC but with my family in Queens, the Sunday inbound is gonna be a haul to get from EWR to Queens.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
AA appears to be in full retreat from China so that might factor into your decision. Why not just go with DL?
CX can get him to HK/CAN.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Are you looking to fly to HKG from NYC? Or any one-stop from BOS? Only asking as (I think) UA is the only one of the US3 to fly NYC-HKG direct...
Any one-stop from BOS works for me. I'm looking at a one-stop BOS-JFK-CAN (on China Southern). UA I'm trying to avoid as their 777s are 10-across and my company is economy-only regardless of length. Ditto CX which is why AA is out - not that you earn much on CX economy fares in AAdvantage.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL is discontinuing its HKG service (currently connecting through SEA), but partners with CZ (based in CAN) and especially MU for routings to/through mainland China. DL has also recently strengthened its partnership with KE, which has a reputation for being excellent in coach. You should be able to find good SkyTeam (DL's alliance) connections throughout Asia through ICN.

Note that both MU and now KE flights generally earn reasonable numbers of status miles even for discounted coach fares.

If you can get credit for your Asia trips, forget segments and calculate the status miles you can earn. 50,000 (where the minimum per segment is generally 500) DL status miles (called MQMs) and reasonable spend on DL and partner flights or spend on a DL AmEx credit card results in Gold status and free entry to airport lounges when flying an international itinerary, even on a cheap coach ticket.
coloneltigh likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that both MU and now KE flights generally earn reasonable numbers of status miles even for discounted coach fares.

If you can get credit for your Asia trips, forget segments and calculate the status miles you can earn. 50,000 (where the minimum per segment is generally 500) DL status miles (called MQMs) and reasonable spend on DL and partner flights or spend on a DL AmEx credit card results in Gold status and free entry to airport lounges when flying an international itinerary, even on a cheap coach ticket.
This is cool. For the TPAC, I could also depart out of NYC since I could schedule my week in NYC right before the trip - especially since the bossman is NYC-based. I did a couple of dummy bookings and noticed that KE flights get pretty decent MQMs. As much as I'd love to make Gold, I think with my travel Silver is about all I'd make unless the one TPAC turns into two TPACs per year (unlikely) since the NYC-BOS travel is self-funded and hence booked in advance so low MQDs.

And to that end as the NYC-BOS transfers are also self-funded and so strong preference for LGA/JFK as I'll be taking public transit. As far as the EWR closer debate, all I'll say is that as a native Queens person my experience has been better using transit to get to LGA/JFK. Though admittedly I'd prefer to try to get the JFK-BOS flights due to the mess that is LGA construction.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the KE schedule includes an A380 nonstop year round that departs JFK around midnight and arrives at ICN very early in the morning, so that you can connect elsewhere on their first morning bank of departures. This could work very well for business travel.

There might be a KE flight from BOS to ICN too.

Obviously there are other possibilities for using DL or KE to ICN for the onward connections on KE. DL operated flights have either C+ (essentially the same as Y+ on UA, meaning coach seats with more legroom etc.) or new Premium Economy sections (for instance on the A350 DTW-ICN and new A350 MSP-ICN and vv routes). You can also connect through LAX, ATL, SEA, etc. The price difference compared to regular coach might not be unreasonable.

Finally, remember that you can avoid the DL MQD requirement ($6,000 spend on DL fares and fees for Gold, including partner flights where the calculation often is in your favor) by spending $25,000 per year on almost anything (not including annual fees, cash advances, interest charges, etc.) on your DL AmEx Plat or Reserve credit card(s). You also earn an extra redeemable mile or two per dollar for DL tickets charged to these DL affiliated cards. The Reserve card (high annual fee) includes DL lounge access when flying DL, including on cheap domestic coach tickets or award tickets.

For CAN, there might be a CZ nonstop from JFK; they surely fly from LAX (and probably YVR/SEA/SFO too). MU would offer service, at least from the west coast, through Shanghai and/or Beijing, which isn't so convenient and puts you in the path of notorious mainland China ATC delays for military exercises, etc.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would not write off AA just yet.

Gold status would give you free, MCE seats at check-in, free same-day standby on a different flight, and no close-in award-booking fee. The fact that AA does not offer direct or nonstop service on the BOS-AUS route is actually a plus for you if you're trying to achieve status by segments: you'll get at least four segments for a BOS-AUS roundtrip.

Does your employer's travel policy really restrict you to Economy Class on a TPAC trip? If so, and if you do not want to fly CX in Economy, I would look at other oneworld options to HKG, if the Economy Class seating is any better. Maybe JL via TYO? Maybe AA via DFW or LAX? It would certainly make for a longer trip than the nonstop, but you might actually prefer to break up such a long trip. Plus, you'd get additional segments.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Though admittedly I'd prefer to try to get the JFK-BOS flights due to the mess that is LGA construction."

If you plan to take public transportation between an airport and Rego Park, I'd give the nod to LGA. The Q72 bus (do a Google search for the timetable) runs every 15-20 minutes most of the day between LGA and 63rd Drive in Rego Park.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Does your employer's travel policy really restrict you to Economy Class on a TPAC trip? If so, and if you do not want to fly CX in Economy, I would look at other oneworld options to HKG, if the Economy Class seating is any better. Maybe JL via TYO? Maybe AA via DFW or LAX? It would certainly make for a longer trip than the nonstop, but you might actually prefer to break up such a long trip. Plus, you'd get additional segments.
Yes, having flown that trip once already - my company is economy only for everyone. And no, PE doesn't count as economy. JL is better in economy but MQM earnings is not as good as the Skyteam partners - only Y or B gets full MQMs - though perhaps it doesn't matter if I make Gold by segments.

I guess what I'll do is try all the different airlines for the few trips before 2019 and see which one I like best. I am flying AA JFK-BOS on the 321T on Friday - we'll see. Maybe AA will be a contender after all.

Last edited by coloneltigh; Sep 4, 2018 at 8:37 pm Reason: Added bit about flying different carriers on the NYC-BOS route in 2018
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coloneltigh
Yes, having flown that trip once already - my company is economy only for everyone. And no, PE doesn't count as economy. JL is better in economy but MQM earnings is not as good as the Skyteam partners - only Y or B gets full MQMs - though perhaps it doesn't matter if I make Gold by segments.
AA's MCE seats are in a separate section of Economy Class; it's not a separate class of service like Economy Plus. Will your employer reimburse for special seating in Economy Class?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
AA's MCE seats are in a separate section of Economy Class; it's not a separate class of service like Economy Plus. Will your employer reimburse for special seating in Economy Class?
No. It specifically states in the policy that preferred seats fees will not be reimbursed.

That said thankfully our Concur blocks basic economy from the search results and werewtold we can book off the tool if we find better results elsewhere.

We also have the option of paying the difference ourselves and for the TPAC I'm not opposed to paying for a better experience. I forgot that AA's 777W was 9 across MCE. What's the typical pay price for non-middle MCE on DFW/LAX-HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.