Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Third world airport (JFK) [bug at JFK T8]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Third world airport (JFK) [bug at JFK T8]

I thought I was confused, as T8 looked pretty nice. Then I saw the bug crawling on the seat (the seats next to the gates, where they have an outlet every other row).
I do not know what bug it is but it looked pretty disgusting (though not a bedbug because those are pretty flat).
Thus I realized it is true NYC has third-world airports. You have to worry about picking up bugs just sitting there.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
JFK Terminals 3, 5 & 8 are decent. The others, while lackluster in appearance & amenities, do their job of being a waiting area for departure with some news stands and overpriced bars,.

LGA def has terminal situations that justify the third world moniker and all the work being done has made it "potentially temporarily" worse.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bugs? There are birds living in the terminals at JFK, and I suspect rats and mice too.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Bugs? There are birds living in the terminals at JFK, and I suspect rats and mice too.
I guess they have to pay the birds more to do their job of eating the bugs.
Are the cats on strike?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd take the bug any day over mice I've seen scurrying about IAD airline lounges.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've flown mostly Terminal 4 and some T5 and while it can take ages to get to your gate if you're flying out on a regional jet, I've never experienced the critters the OP did at T8.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

So is it better to go to a crowded gate area, because the chance of a bug crawling on me versus another passenger is lower, or are there more bugs in places with more people?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:34 am

I worked for an outside contractor and have seen the "backrooms" of the terminals and a bug on the seat is nothing compared to what is behind the scenes.
If the food you buy or your luggage could talk...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
one bug does not a 3rd world airport make.
Analise and BearX220 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You are kidding yourself if you think there aren't bugs/mice/rats at most major airports third world or first world
Analise likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
You are kidding yourself if you think there aren't bugs/mice/rats at most major airports third world or first world
Or pretty much anywhere there's a source of food and easy ingress....
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Some "third world" airports I have been to lately make a few of the European and American airports look like real crappers.
Analise likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

So I guess the whole "first-world airport" is a veneer. Basically like a Chinese airport. Very nice and pretty, but who knows what is underneath.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So I guess the whole "first-world airport" is a veneer. Basically like a Chinese airport. Very nice and pretty, but who knows what is underneath.
Can you please provide us some link that details how first-world airports are certified to be bug-free? I'd much rather run into some little bug in an airport than know I was inhabiting some toxic waste dump where they continually try to kill every last bug that may be there.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You could say the same about all those 3* Michelin restaurant and the 5/6/7* hotels. And if you think hospitals are pest free ...
nightkhan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.