Wiki Posts
Search

Native New Yorkers - Place of Birth for Passports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage
Native New Yorkers - Place of Birth for Passports

I've been working on getting my passport renewed and never gave this much thought but what is the official U.S government take on place of birth for people born in queens/brooklyn/etc.

For instance, Flushing Hospital is located in Flushing, NY per the USPS. Would the place of birth be Queens, NY,(birth certificate lists borough) Flushing,NY,(USPS) or New York,NY(Technically the city)? Or does it even matter?

How about when you renew? Say you put Flushing for your earlier passports? Will the department of state freak out if on the next renewal you put Queens?

Seems like this is a known issue that they are probably aware about but curious what people put!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Even though I grew up in Brooklyn, my passport says New York USA.

Welcome to Flyertalk AAL787.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is state and country, not city and country, on the current passports. So it should just be New York, USA.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53

Indeed passport says New York, USA. However, I am curious what the State Department would want to see and if they would care that one my previous application it said Flushing,NY and this one I put Queens,NY or NY,NY and potentially deny or delay the application due to the discrepancy.

How the question is phrased would potentially make me provide a different answer. Because I was curious, I checked my global entry and I had put Flushing,Ny when I had applied but the interview was at JFK and surely they understand the situation more than the passport offices elsewhere.

Curiously there seems to be only one other discussion of this I could find: http://ask.metafilter.com/161682/Where-was-I-born-officially
Sadly though, it was inconclusive as well.

Gonna call the NPIC on Monday but wanted to see what people's thoughts were on this first. The renewal is gonna be tight and didn't want it delayed because of this stupid issue
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Born in Bklyn but have New York, USA on pspt
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Originally Posted by dhammer53

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is state and country, not city and country, on the current passports. So it should just be New York, USA.
I'm aware that passports simply show state and country. What I'm most curious about is what you would put in the application itself? Would the state department know/care if I put Flushing,NY before and on this application put Queens,NY. Both are sorta correct. Obviously for Brooklyn, it would either be Brooklyn or New York as Brooklyn doesn't have the traditional administrative area issue that queens did.

Depending on the context and the mood, I might say 1 of the 3. In fact, checking my Global Entry account, it seems I used flushing, ny for that, though with the agent being at JFK, I'm sure they know the odd situation of the 5 boroughs more than the state department people.

I'll be calling the NPIC on Monday to see if they have any advice but wanted to see if FT had some wisdom on the topic
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AAL787
I'll be calling the NPIC on Monday to see if they have any advice but wanted to see if FT had some wisdom on the topic
My advice is that you're overthinking this and that the person at NPIC, if not a New Yorker, might not even understand the question. That said, I would go with what's on your birth certificate, since that is what you submitted as verification when you first applied for a passport.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Please note that this post has just been released from the moderation queue. Welcome to FlyerTalk, AAL787!
/Moderator

Indeed passport says New York, USA. However, I am curious what the State Department would want to see and if they would care that one my previous application it said Flushing,NY and this one I put Queens,NY or NY,NY and potentially deny or delay the application due to the discrepancy.

How the question is phrased would potentially make me provide a different answer. Because I was curious, I checked my global entry and I had put Flushing,Ny when I had applied but the interview was at JFK and surely they understand the situation more than the passport offices elsewhere.

Curiously there seems to be only one other discussion of this I could find: http://ask.metafilter.com/161682/Whe...orn-officially
Sadly though, it was inconclusive as well.

Gonna call the NPIC on Monday but wanted to see what people's thoughts were on this first. The renewal is gonna be tight and didn't want it delayed because of this stupid issue
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Another born in Brooklyn-ite and my passport also says New York.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The current passport application does require both city and state of birth. For Flushing, Brooklyn, and Queens, the answer would be "New York" as to city. Flushing is a neighborhood and both Brooklyn & Queens are Boroughs. All are located in the City of New York.

If you were to list any of the latter three on your application, the application would likely be returned for correction.

No need to call State, as this information is provided on the website and the questions are fairly clear on the forms, e.g. "City of birth" not "Borough of birth".

As others note, the State Department only lists the state and country of birth on the passport book itself.
Virginia M. likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The current passport application does require both city and state of birth. For Flushing, Brooklyn, and Queens, the answer would be "New York" as to city. Flushing is a neighborhood and both Brooklyn & Queens are Boroughs. Neither are cities.

If you were to list any of the latter three on your application, the application.

As others note, the State Department only lists the state and country of birth on the passport book itself.
I have zero doubt that people list neighborhoods and boroughs on their applications all the time, and that it's totally not an issue. That said, if I were to make a recommendation, I would have the application match your birth certificate, as I said upthread, since it's the birth certificate that's submitted as proof of place of birth.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Even people born in Syracuse have had US passports say New York, USA for decades.

In terms of applications, applications saying Flushing, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, NYC, etc in NY ordinarily get processed just fine even if the DVR's file lists place of birth in NY slightly differently.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 16, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
I have zero doubt that people list neighborhoods and boroughs on their applications all the time, and that it's totally not an issue. That said, if I were to make a recommendation, I would have the application match your birth certificate, as I said upthread, since it's the birth certificate that's submitted as proof of place of birth.
Originally Posted by Often1
The current passport application does require both city and state of birth. For Flushing, Brooklyn, and Queens, the answer would be "New York" as to city. Flushing is a neighborhood and both Brooklyn & Queens are Boroughs. All are located in the City of New York.

If you were to list any of the latter three on your application, the application would likely be returned for correction.

No need to call State, as this information is provided on the website and the questions are fairly clear on the forms, e.g. "City of birth" not "Borough of birth".

Unfortunately, for NYC, it's not 100% certain what people would put. I do agree that in the vast majority of cases, you put exactly what is on your birth certificate. The city of New York, however, issues its own birth certificate, listing the borough instead! To add onto that, mail to anyone outside of Manhattan, is addressed to either the borough ( the case of bx, si, and bk) or "town" (in the case of queens, based on the consolidation of the city). I don't think that happens anywhere else in the country.

Research turned up that London (of the UK) is not dissimilar but there passport agency actually puts out guidelines regarding the issue and is fine with district or city for British passports

Regardless, I went with Queens on the application and will let everyone know if there are any issues I like closure on the issues so anyone who might search for this topic in the future can find some info

Last edited by AAL787; Mar 18, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think that happens anywhere else in the country.
Don't be too sure. I think there are lots of parts of the country where people list their neighborhood, rather than city or town, as their mailing address, and thus probably deal with this on their passport applications as well. For example, I was raised in Newton, Massachusetts, which is comprised of Newton Centre, Newtonville, Newton Corner, Newton Highlands, West Newton, Auburndale, Nonantum, Waban, and parts of Chestnut Hill (parts of Chestnut Hill also lie in Brookline and Boston). I have no doubt that on passport applications, some list Newton, and some list their particular neighborhood. I have no doubt that these go through without a hitch.

But please report back. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Mrs. SFO777 was born in Queens. Passport says New York.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.