Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA: Former restaurant on 4th floor above lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

The elevator that goes to the Amex lounge on the third floor of LGA was malfunctioning this morning and being worked on. The repairmen and a security officer initially told us we couldn't get on but then relented and said they'd drop us off. After the doors closed the elevator unexpectedly went up to the fourth floor (instead of down to the gate level) and opened. The door was only open for a second but it was clear it was a completely abandoned section of the airport building. The security officer was not pleased and said this was a badge only level. I asked what it was and she said "it used to be a restaurant many many years ago." The view was spectactar, better than the lounges, and it was a huge space. Anyone know what this was?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I found references to any "Aviation Terrace Restaurant" at LaGuardia:

https://www.google.com/search?q=avia...RB1UvpwjekM%3A
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I found references to any "Aviation Terrace Restaurant" at LaGuardia:

https://www.google.com/search?q=avia...RB1UvpwjekM%3A
Wow, great find! Thanks for sharing. I found this article too: http://observer.com/2014/11/long-fam...-yorker-hotel/

Discusses a "Kittyhawk Lounge" as well as the Aviation Terrace restaurant you mentioned that were run by the New Yorker hotel.

However, I'm thinking the Aviation Terrace restaurant is not right, because upon further research it was atop the then-Land Plane Administration Building, which I don't think is today's Terminal B. (Aviation Terrace might've been an even more cool space - it offered outdoor seating!).

Anyone have any other thoughts on what might be upstairs in Terminal B?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by adcer
Wow, great find! Thanks for sharing. I found this article too: http://observer.com/2014/11/long-fam...-yorker-hotel/

Discusses a "Kittyhawk Lounge" as well as the Aviation Terrace restaurant you mentioned that were run by the New Yorker hotel.

However, I'm thinking the Aviation Terrace restaurant is not right, because upon further research it was atop the then-Land Plane Administration Building, which I don't think is today's Terminal B. (Aviation Terrace might've been an even more cool space - it offered outdoor seating!).

Anyone have any other thoughts on what might be upstairs in Terminal B?
I did see a reference to Joe Baum of Restaurant Associstes, the company that ran the Four Seasons restaurant in the Seagrams Building). Consideting that Baum ran the Newarker restaurant before joining RA, that might be a possibility - I could not find anything else.

However, the years might work in that if Baum was involved, it would likely have been in the Sixties.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:26 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
This is not the restaurant you are looking for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.