Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on where to stay in NY/Newark

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Advice on where to stay in NY/Newark

I'll be arriving at EWR on Friday night at 6:30pm and departing Sunday afternoon at noon. Since time is limited, of course I'd like to maximize my time on Manhattan (ie: leave early and return to the hotel late at night), but since accommodation is so expensive I'm open to alternatives.

Currently on Priceline's express deals, I see 4* accommodation at NY's Financial district to be about $121 USD/night + fees

My next alternatives, are hotels near EWR at 3*, $84/night, or downtown Newark, 3*, $74/night via Priceline's express deals.

I've read that the EWR airport area is generally very safe, whereas downtown Newark is a hit or miss depending if you use good judgement. I'm tempted to stay at downtown Newark and pay the $5.50 to and from NY Penn Stn while saving a few bucks on the hotel stay, but I'll probably be back late on Fri/Sat night.

Is it worth it to save the few bucks and stay in Newark?

TIA
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:20 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
For $40 or so more a night I'd definitely stay in NYC. Save a ton of time commuting to and from the city on such a short visit.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chawk12
Is it worth it to save the few bucks and stay in Newark?
For what you're describing IMO no. But that's a timing thing, not a safety one. Figure 30ish minutes each way minimum commuting. And trains are less frequent later at night.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If you do stay in Newark, you should certainly take PATH rather than NJ Transit. The NJ Transit schedules are abysmal on the weekends, and you can easily wait 50 minutes for a train.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have usually stayed at the Newark Airport Marriott right on the grounds. Book in advanced have got a rate close to $100.00. Never stayed downtown EWR.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbm12
For what you're describing IMO no. But that's a timing thing, not a safety one. Figure 30ish minutes each way minimum commuting. And trains are less frequent later at night.
I had some friends who did the 'let's stay in Newark and save some cash' thing and the regretted it.

They lost shed loads of time each day in just getting into Manhattan and the places they wanted to see and they also lost any flexibility of just popping back to the hotel to drop off shopping or to have a quick rest etc.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.