Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with hotel booking.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Help with hotel booking.

Hello, I looking to book a hotel in the Chelsea area for Thursday, Oct 22- Sunday Oct 25th. I've searched my normal places (hotwire, travelzoo, priceline, LMT, Kayak, etc) but haven't found any real good deals. Seeking a 4 star but not looking spend more then ~$250/night. Any help of different areas I could look? Thanks, Chris
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by domers
Hello, I looking to book a hotel in the Chelsea area for Thursday, Oct 22- Sunday Oct 25th. I've searched my normal places (hotwire, travelzoo, priceline, LMT, Kayak, etc) but haven't found any real good deals. Seeking a 4 star but not looking spend more then ~$250/night. Any help of different areas I could look? Thanks, Chris
Welcome to FT. New York is an expensive city. You won't find a four star property for anywhere near $250 in Manhattan. I suggest checking out New Jersey or Queens.

You might get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

Did you try naming your own price on Priceline?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try Country Inn & Suites in Queens via ClubCarlson.com.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I just searched hotels.com and literally 1 hotel in the neighborhood under $250 showed up - Hotel Pennsylvania, which isn't really in the heart of Chelsea to start with and is a bit on the grungier side (although it is right across from Penn Station, if you are looking for convenience).

If you stretch your budget to $300/night, you can get the Hilton Fashion District. Again, not really in the heart of the neighborhood (26th and 7th also ain't really the best part of the neighborhood, either - you're one block from a homeless shelter), but it's about as affordable as it will get. FWIW the hotel shows up as having 4-star amenities.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For a 4* hotel around ~$250, go to Hotwire. That's my my 1st thought. There are several 4* in areas they define as midtown west - hells kitchen, Times Sq North, Times Sq South, Empire State Bldg (ESB region for Hotwire is 5th Ave and EAST) that are in the $250 area. Look at the maps for area definitions. Chelsea however is not in your price range but these neighboring areas aren't far from Chelsea. Again, look at the maps to pick what you like.

If you want 4* for ~$250, Hotwire or Priceline is the way to go.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Try Backbid

You enter your details - area, price etc and hotels will bid against them.

You don't have to have a (refundable) reservation already but it seems you get more bids if you do.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:36 am

Important to note that there aren't many hotels in Chelsea to begin with. Look around Penn Station (lots of chains) and Meatpacking (lots of boutiques). Both are accessible by walking to Chelsea.

Further afoot there's Time Square, Hudson Square and Union Square areas. Super quick subway rides to Chelsea.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I was able to find Manhattan NYC–an Affinia hotel at a total cost of $900 via expedia's app one day sale. Since the reviews really aren't all that great, I may try to find something else via Hotwire/Priceline.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by domers
Thanks for the input. I was able to find Manhattan NYC–an Affinia hotel at a total cost of $900 via expedia's app one day sale. Since the reviews really aren't all that great, I may try to find something else via Hotwire/Priceline.
When I was traveling weekly to Manhattan in 2006, the Affinia Manhattan was my go-to. Besides a great location and relative affordability, by NYC standards the rooms were huge. The furnishings weren't so much dated as they were vintage - I felt like I was in my Grandparents' apartment in Brooklyn. Somehow, a decade later, I'd be surprised if much has changed.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA GfL
The Affinia group of hotels was my go-to also, whenever possible when I stayed in NY on business. There are several properties (and I believe the same group owns the Benjamin, a higher-priced hotel in Midtown East). The staff is always very friendly, the rooms--as swag says--are much larger than one would expect in NY, as well as being well-appointed and modern. The fact that none of the hotels have restaurants means that they are classified as three-star at the online booking services, but in fact the rooms are absolutely four-star quality.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
3rd on Affinia - haven't stayed at Manhattan but have stayed at 3 other properties - love them! For me, the kitchen (or kitchenette, depending on your room) makes it the best deal for me - I can eat leftovers in my room

(the Shelbourne has a restaurant - or it did when we stayed there a couple years ago - maybe it's technically not a part of the hotel? Except I think there's a door from the lobby....)
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the input on Affinia. I'll keep the reservation I have and see if I can do any better. It does appear that I can book The Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection for a total of $833 via Priceline but I'm not sure if its worth it based on the small rooms at The Carlton. Anyone stayed at The Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.