Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sticker Shock Taking Uber from EWR to Midtown

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
The other way to avoid the EWR surcharge would be to take one of the free hotel shuttles to a nearby EWR hotel, and then take take Uber from there to NYC.
That's a pain as you first have to ride the Airtrain to P4 (or P2, I always forget which it is), then get on the shuttle, then get Uber.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by CMK10
That's a pain as you first have to ride the Airtrain to P4 (or P2, I always forget which it is), then get on the shuttle, then get Uber.
Oh I totally agree it's a pain! But the OP was complaining about the $20 surcharge and this is a legitimate way to avoid it. Believe me, I know one or two "frugal" people who would gladly go through all that trouble to avoid the fee!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC AA
"$20 surcharge on all trips between New York City and New Jersey. New York City rates will apply to all trips that begin at Newark Airport."
https://www.uber.com/cities/new-jersey
So just now realizing how meaningful this is. Recently did Uber round trip from NYC to Edgewater. The fare heading to NJ was like 60% higher, since it used the NYC-originating driver and rates. The return used the much cheaper (and unlicensed/non-TLC?) NJ drivers and rates. Both had the $20 surcharge.

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Oh I totally agree it's a pain! But the OP was complaining about the $20 surcharge and this is a legitimate way to avoid it. Believe me, I know one or two "frugal" people who would gladly go through all that trouble to avoid the fee!
Maybe I'm missing something, but that wouldn't avoid the $20 surcharge, but it would give you the lower NJ rates compared to the NYC rates.

And SJC AA's alternative above does save you the $20 surcharge, but you still pay NYC rates to get to Hoboken/JC, right?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And SJC AA's alternative above does save you the $20 surcharge, but you still pay NYC rates to get to Hoboken/JC, right?
Yes; that alternative was more viable before they applied NYC rates to Newark airport pickups.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Does anyone know if Lyft charges a surcharge? I may switch to it instead of Uber for my NYC-NJ trips..
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Isn't the $20 an airport fee, not a surcharge and it doesn't matter whether you are in a car service, taxi, or ride-share?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Isn't the $20 an airport fee, not a surcharge and it doesn't matter whether you are in a car service, taxi, or ride-share?
$20 is a surcharge for any rides originating in NYC or NJ and going into the other. Pickup at NJ Airport going to NYC just triggers NYC rates.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Does anyone know if Lyft charges a surcharge? I may switch to it instead of Uber for my NYC-NJ trips..
Lyft's NYC and NJ fare pages (https://www.lyft.com/cities/new-york-city and https://www.lyft.com/cities/new-jersey) both say a $14 toll will be added to all trips between NYC and NJ.

Lyft doesn't say on their website that they pick up at EWR (just JFK and LGA) but I'm pretty sure they do.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I Uber X'd between EWR and midtown and back last week. Both fares were in the $79 ballpark, one way, fairly in line with others' experiences. Certainly not great compared to other forms of public transportation, but I found it to be quite efficient. I was traveling at non-peak times of the day.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Lfyt absolutely picks up at EWR but suggest you meet driver at arrival level and sit in front seat so they don't get harassed by PANYNJ police.

I typically give the alternatives - take the bus to EWR if off-peak. It takes identical time (assuming you are deboarding at first drop off Term) as private car if you time departure from Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street between 8th and 9th Avenues) with their schedule (every 15/20 minutes) and $16 each way. The same on the return trip if you are going to Port Authority or mid-town East side. It is more convenient vs. train and transfer off-peak times.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I Uber X'd between EWR and midtown and back last week. Both fares were in the $79 ballpark, one way, fairly in line with others' experiences. Certainly not great compared to other forms of public transportation, but I found it to be quite efficient. I was traveling at non-peak times of the day.
I think Carmel/Dial7 would come out maybe $10 cheaper and I think they should pretty much be just as efficient. And if you're comparing the luxury cars (vs. Uber Black), the price differential is probably quite large.

I think you still have to call the dispatch upon arrival, though maybe they've been improving their app functionality.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I think Carmel/Dial7 would come out maybe $10 cheaper and I think they should pretty much be just as efficient. And if you're comparing the luxury cars (vs. Uber Black), the price differential is probably quite large.

I think you still have to call the dispatch upon arrival, though maybe they've been improving their app functionality.
Just my personal experience, but I do not like that service. I feel like you get what you pay for with them, and I find it hit or miss whether they will show.

Again, just my own experience, but Uber X was truly "no muss, no fuss". Practically waiting outside the terminal door. Which may have, indeed, been true if they just dropped someone else and I had fortuitous timing.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Misses" happen, but IME, they are few and far between, and you can always try Uber as a backup. I've also been in some less-than-perfect UberX cars.

I also don't like not being able to pre-reserve a pickup from my home via Uber. I have to hope cars will be available and it won't be surge pricing. Not always the case for a rush-hour-ish pickup.

Net, I still prefer the traditional services for airport travel (and I usually buy-up for $5 to the "deluxe" car); I don't think the Uber premium is worth it on a regular basis. JMHO.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Misses" happen, but IME, they are few and far between, and you can always try Uber as a backup. I've also been in some less-than-perfect UberX cars.

I also don't like not being able to pre-reserve a pickup from my home via Uber. I have to hope cars will be available and it won't be surge pricing. Not always the case for a rush-hour-ish pickup.

Net, I still prefer the traditional services for airport travel (and I usually buy-up for $5 to the "deluxe" car); I don't think the Uber premium is worth it on a regular basis. JMHO.
And here's the crux. I went with what I know and has treated me well in the past. I was looking for certainty of execution and I didn't think Dial 7 was gonna provide that. Plane hit the ground, I pulled up the Uber app, saw that cars were right outside the terminal, looked up the estimated fare, and booked my car. Done and done.

But that doesn't mean Dial 7 doesn't work for others.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
and I find it hit or miss whether they will show.
I used to travel extensively for work and towards the last few months I can't tell you how many times my car service was canceling on me or seriously delayed. I tried a couple different providers. Was running to the gate for a few flights and missed one. I like to cut it close but a 30-45+ min delay for a scheduled car is ridiculous. Much easier to just hail Uber or a Taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.