Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airtrain to LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
If the Astoria line were extended, that would allow direct access to LGA, without changing from train to bus.
According to the WSJ, Queens politicians are stopping that from happening. Giuliani proposed that extension and did a study on it in the mid 90s.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gov-andr...dia-1421779531
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:06 pm

I like Blumie's idea of renovating the Jackson Heights station to be more accessible. Maybe even have a big elevator that goes straight from the E/F platform to the Q70 loading area. Which would probably be more convenient than the inevitable up/down/around that a 7-train-to-AirTrain connection at Willets would entail.

Then I'd throw in some super-duper customized buses that are comfy for pax with lots of luggage. And if/when they ever get around to renovating the terminals at LGA, they should configure the roadways to allow public buses to go right up to the terminal to make the bus super convenient.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Originally Posted by boboqui
Why not a fast ferry?
there used to be a ferry. I took it from the marine terminal to home near the east river once. It was nice. I was one of two passengers. For whatever reason, not a lot of people took it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I've always found LGA a pain to get to by road, and even though it's "closer to Manhattan" than JFK or EWR, I've preferred the others due to their rail connections. So at first glance, this sounded like a great idea. But after reading everyone's comments, it sounds like I should stop hating on LGA, learn to love the Q70 to Jackson Heights, and probably get to midtown east (near 53rd/Lex) both faster and cheaper than I now do from JFK or EWR. Is the Q70 still only $2.50 on a MetroCard? Is the transfer to the subway really free? What about going the other direction?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DanTravels
it sounds like I should stop hating on LGA, learn to love the Q70 to Jackson Heights, and probably get to midtown east (near 53rd/Lex) both faster and cheaper than I now do from JFK or EWR. Is the Q70 still only $2.50 on a MetroCard? Is the transfer to the subway really free? What about going the other direction?
Yes, yes, yes and yes (just like all other local buses).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Add me to the list of people who aren't impressed, especially now that the Q70 is an option. That long 7 ride into the city doesn't sound much fun, especially as others have pointed out you'll have to transfer.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Last year, I went to LGA. I was expecting a slow bus and was thinking of the New York Airporter or Taxi. When the Q70 came, it was super fast. Non-stop to the 7 line. That bus is better than spending half a billion dollars to replace the bus with a train. In fact, it would be nice if they had buses every 3 minutes and that would be cheaper than half a billion.

The next improvement to the Q70 would be to have express 7 trains more often. That would help many people besides LGA passengers.

As far as the post above, I took the 7 and didn't have to transfer!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Box5
As far as the post above, I took the 7 and didn't have to transfer!
The reference was about people originating elsewhere that needed to transfer to the #7, especially in reference to to getting to Willets Pt.

-David
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Box5
In fact, it would be nice if they had buses every 3 minutes and that would be cheaper than half a billion.
Exactly. They could vastly expand the frequency and quality of Q70 service for a fraction of the cost of building a train from Willets point to LGA.

The next improvement to the Q70 would be to have express 7 trains more often. That would help many people besides LGA passengers.
The 7 line only has three tracks, so the express can only operate in one direction at any given time (there is an inbound express in the morning and an outbound express in the evening). Also note that the first Q70 stop (Jackson Heights/74th Street) is a local 7 station and doesn't have express service at any hour. You have to go another stop to Woodside/61st Street on the Q70 to get the 7 express. But from Jackson Heights/74th Street you CAN get the E or F express, which run in both directions almost 24/7.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I'm also a big fan of the Q70. It's really helped getting to / from LGA.

I agree that there are a lot of things against this plan, however I would strongly support it IF:

The AirTrain system built for LGA is completely compatible with the JFK AirTrain. That way I could hold out hope that they would one day connect the two so that you could go to either airport from Jamaica or Willets point, and there would be a sensible transfer between the two airports.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Doubtful as one would have To construct on VWE or GCT to extend both systems. Might see 2nd age subway sooner
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AMflier

I agree that there are a lot of things against this plan, however I would strongly support it IF:

The AirTrain system built for LGA is completely compatible with the JFK AirTrain. That way I could hold out hope that they would one day connect the two so that you could go to either airport from Jamaica or Willets point, and there would be a sensible transfer between the two airports.
How often is this actually an issue? I've never seen any statistics, but I can't believe there are that many pax who actually make LGA-JFK connections...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
How often is this actually an issue? I've never seen any statistics, but I can't believe there are that many pax who actually make LGA-JFK connections...
I suspect it happens a fair bit, and would happen even more if the connection were easier, but agree with your implication that it hardly seems worth building a train just for that purpose.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Originally Posted by AMflier

It must happen often enough to support the twice-an-hour shuttle bus service between LGA and JFK:

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServi...Transfers.aspx
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It must happen often enough to support the twice-an-hour shuttle bus service between LGA and JFK:

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServi...Transfers.aspx
But is it worth a billion+ in infrastructure investment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.