Wiki Posts
Search

Buying metro card at JFK terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Buying metro card at JFK terminal?

Just noticed that all my cards are expired. Havent gone there in a while. Fastest way to reach destination in Brooklyn is by bus and few stops on 2/3/4. Is the only place at the airport to get a metrocard still at the airtrain exit-stations or any hint?
If we need to take the bus, since we come from abroad, I don't have 5,50 USD in coins. Any hint if there is a coin change machine at the terminal (Dl int.) maybe for luggage trolleys?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where to buy metrocards at JFK?

Newsstands

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...train-jfk.html
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mith
Just noticed that all my cards are expired. Havent gone there in a while. Fastest way to reach destination in Brooklyn is by bus and few stops on 2/3/4. Is the only place at the airport to get a metrocard still at the airtrain exit-stations or any hint?
If we need to take the bus, since we come from abroad, I don't have 5,50 USD in coins. Any hint if there is a coin change machine at the terminal (Dl int.) maybe for luggage trolleys?
I'm not sure if the newsstands in the JFK terminals still sell Metrocards. If you go to http://www.mta.info and click on the Metrocard icon, you should eventually find a way to search for Metrocard retail locations. Or, you can send a message to the MTA from that website asking if there are any retailers left at JFK.

And do not throw away your old Metrocards. Even though the cards have expired, the value on them has not. Unless they expired a long time ago, you should be able to exchange them for a new card at no charge at a staffed, subway booth. So even if you cannot get a new Metrocard in the terminal, you would only need $2.50 in coins for the bus; once you get to the subway station, you can get a new Metrocard.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

A post from last year indicates that the Hermes shops at T1, T4, and T7 sell Metrocards. Don't know whether that is still the case, however.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:56 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Q10 bus ends (and begins) at T4. I would assume that some newsstand there would sell metrocards.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The Q10 bus ends (and begins) at T4."

Not anymore. The Q10's JFK terminus is now Terminal 5. The change was made sometime in 2012.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

"The Q10 bus ends (and begins) at T4."

Not anymore. The Q10's JFK terminus is now Terminal 5. The change was made sometime in 2012.
Given the post looks like the OP is actually catching the B15, but that also leaves from T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.