Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Transportation Options from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Airport (JFK or EWR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List

Hi,

Will be taking a cruise in June out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I wanted to know what are some good and economical, if possible, transportation from the cruise terminal.

Or, are there economical car rental agencies nearby to rent a car. The ones I checked have been astronomical just for a 3 day rental.

Thanks much in advance for any input.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't understand. Why would you want a 3 day rental if you're just trying to get to the airport?

There are many public transit options, and taxis if you have lots of luggage.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Manhattan car rentals tend to be very expensive, especially in the Summer. Where will you be headed over the three days? Are you sure you need a car for all three days?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Well, you can say I have a three day layover to visit New York, Philadelphia, etc.

I actually found a really good rental rate of $100 for 3 days at EWR, but then I would have to get transportation there; hence, the question.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

On certain days of the week, some car-rental companies offer special one-way rates from Manhattan to EWR. What day are you looking at?

Otherwise, Budget offers a special one-way rate from Manhattan to JFK for $40+tax, including the first tank of gas. But then you'd need to rent another car for two more days from JFK (or nearby locations).

You certainly do not want to have a car during the time that you are visiting Manhattan.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

On certain days of the week, some car-rental companies offer special one-way rates from Manhattan to EWR. What day are you looking at?

Otherwise, Budget offers a special one-way rate from Manhattan to JFK for $40+tax, including the first tank of gas. But then you'd need to rent another car for two more days from JFK (or nearby locations).

You certainly do not want to have a car during the time that you are visiting Manhattan.
I am looking at Saturday, June 14, 2014. Also, how far is the budget rental from the cruise terminal
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:29 pm

The cheapest is the B61 bus, which stops one block from the cruise terminal (I assume you mean the one in Red Hook, Brooklyn), to downtown Brooklyn. Then the A train to Lefferts Blvd. for the Q10 bus to JFK. A faster connection would be the A train to Howard Beach and the Air Train ($5 extra) to JFK. It's not clear from your posting in which direction you will be traveling. If you start in Brooklyn you would need $2.50 in coins to pay for the bus and more money or credit card to pay for the A train/Q10 (free transfer) and Air Train. In the other direction you can get a Metrocard at the airport or Howard Beach, which is good for one transfer, not two. I have only departed from the Cruise Terminal, and I have no idea on the availability of taxis from there to downtown Brooklyn. To or from EWR the A train from downtown Brooklyn will take you to Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, where you can get a NJ Transit train or a bus to the airport.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Budget has several Manhattan locations. The one closest to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on West 49th Street, about 1/2 mile away (Budget location code NY5). If you are interested in booking the Manhattan-JFK one-way special rate, use BCD code R344905 at budget.com.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Track
The cheapest is the B61 bus, which stops one block from the cruise terminal (I assume you mean the one in Red Hook, Brooklyn), to downtown Brooklyn. Then the A train to Lefferts Blvd. for the Q10 bus to JFK. A faster connection would be the A train to Howard Beach and the Air Train ($5 extra) to JFK. It's not clear from your posting in which direction you will be traveling. If you start in Brooklyn you would need $2.50 in coins to pay for the bus and more money or credit card to pay for the A train/Q10 (free transfer) and Air Train. In the other direction you can get a Metrocard at the airport or Howard Beach, which is good for one transfer, not two. I have only departed from the Cruise Terminal, and I have no idea on the availability of taxis from there to downtown Brooklyn. To or from EWR the A train from downtown Brooklyn will take you to Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, where you can get a NJ Transit train or a bus to the airport.
The thread title and the OP both refer to the "Manhattan Cruise Terminal." Norwegian, Carnival, and Crystal still use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Budget has several Manhattan locations. The one closest to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is on West 49th Street, about 1/2 mile away (Budget location code NY5). If you are interested in booking the Manhattan-JFK one-way special rate, use BCD code R344905 at budget.com.
Thanks for the info and offer code. This may be a consideration.

Are there a lot of toll roads from Manhattan to JFK?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hoangb
Are there a lot of toll roads from Manhattan to JFK?
No.

There aren't any toll roads to JFK from Manhattan. There is a toll at the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and the Midtown Tunnel. You can also drive to JFK toll free.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I really don't understand why you would want to hassle with renting a car just to get between Manhattan and the airport. Just take a taxi.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
OP, clarity on your questions & see if we understood - to best help you.

You are flying into EWR/JFK for a cruise, plan to stay 3 days post-cruise? If so, where do you plan to stay in NYC/Manhattan or NJ side as you mention going to PHL also so it sound liked post-cruise? Then, your plan is to checkout & drive the car to JFK to dropoff, and catch your flight home?

Parking is very expensive in Manhatttan - $40 to $50 overnight near/below most hotel's or nearby underground garage. Staying in Manhattan, use mass transit - we don't drive into the Manhattan, just PITA and $$.

If you pickup your rental deal in EWR and drive into Manhattan - it's at much as $15 cash toll one-way only, ouch . Going to JFK, it can be toll-less if you know your way around & allow enough travel time due to unpredictable traffic, better than LAX and you know how I-5 and I-10 and I-405 can be like at all hours.

If you are driving the rental pre-cruise for 3 days, then it's different and post-cruise, going straight to JFK - best advice I can give, as above, take a flat-rate taxi. Or, depending on departure time - taxi to NY Penn Station - LIRR train to JFKAirTrain or taxi to subway train to JFK AirTrain (don't confuse it with NJ Transit to EWR AirTrain as someone else recently claimed.)

We are leaving this Sunday out of MCT (on NCL's Breakaway) for a week toward warmer weather. Please checkout Cruisecritic forum as we have plenty of FAQ, insider's tip and East Coast Departure/NYC Board have plenty of details for you. Logistics for cruise transport are a bit more complicated.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:59 am

I think the OP is planning to take 3 days AFTER his/her cruise to explore between NYC and Philly and wants a rental car for that period. (S)he is finding cheaper rental cars at EWR than in Manhattan, and therefore wants transport from the cruise terminal to EWR to pick up the rental car.

Assuming that's right...

As others have noted, you don't want a rental car to explore NYC. Just take public transit or taxis to get around the city itself.

You can also get from NYC to Philly much more cheaply by bus (see boltbus and megabus in particular) than by car, and if you need a rental car at the other end, they're likely to be a lot less expensive in Philly than in Manhattan or EWR (when looking at EWR rental cars, make sure you're looking at all-in pricing as there are a lot of extra taxes/fees for cars picked up at EWR).

If you wanted to explore some of the areas around NYC before heading to Philly, then a rental car probably does make sense. You might broaden your search from EWR to other rental car agencies that are near commuter rail stations, as they won't have all the airport taxes/fees that EWR has, and will likely pick you up from the train station if they aren't walkable. The Highland Park, NJ Hertz HLE, for example, should pick you up from the Edison NJ Transit RR station. And there are rental agencies in White Plains, NY very close to the White Plains Metro North RR station.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
I think the OP is planning to take 3 days AFTER his/her cruise to explore between NYC and Philly and wants a rental car for that period. (S)he is finding cheaper rental cars at EWR than in Manhattan, and therefore wants transport from the cruise terminal to EWR to pick up the rental car.

Assuming that's right...
This is a good summary of what I was trying to convey. I apologize for my lack of clarity if it may have confused some.

I do plan on seeing other parts of New York and the vicinity and I will have three post-cruise to engage in visiting.

I will definitely not use the car for when visiting New York area, but I will need a car for at least two of the days as there are friends whom I will be visiting that are a few hours away from New York, so I having a car is definitely desired as I foresee only staying around New York City area for only 1 day.

I figured that I would pick up car from EWR as my return flight is there and I would just drop off car once we depart. Additionally, the rental rates that I have researched in NYC/Manhattan area are exorbitant to say the very least. Hence, I considered getting a rental car in NJ, as they are three to four times cheaper than what I see in New York, but if the savings result in so much stress and hassle, then I will just pick up in New York.

Thanks for all your input. It is much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.