Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip To NYC - ≈ November 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

First Trip To NYC - ≈ November 2014

Evening! My wife and I are trying to book our first trip to NYC slated for next year, most likely the week after Thanksgiving (11/30 to 12/4ish). Had a couple of questions and request for recommendations while we stay in the city.

First, as a born and raised Florida boy, anything anyone recommends to not freeze over? And not going during that time frame is out of the question as the misses wants to see what the holidays look like up north.

For entertainment, more than likely the usual items such as a Broadway show, visitng Chelsea Market, and other touristy things. that being said, we're assuming it's best to stay in Manhattan for the duration of our stay. In terms of hotels, we're looking at staying a few nights at the Hyatt 48 Lex given the still good UR to HGP value prior to the devaluation. I would love to get in on Park Hyatt NYC, but we're not taking any chances. I'd like to also stay a single night at the St. Regis just for that all out experience. We're not married to any one hotel though so other recommendations are welcome.

In terms of flights, we're leaving out of TPA. I'm hoping for a direct flight (due to fear of flying) probably into LGA since it's a bit closer via taxi but I just don't know the airports up in the area. I think we'd avoid flying into EWR due to distance from our base of operations.

Given that I'd like to try and make this as memorable as possible (before I plan our trip to London for 2015), any reason to go business/FC for short haul domestic?

Thanks again for your advice FTers!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Chose your local NYC airport based on price. If you're going to save $100 flying into EWR, then fly into EWR, it won't cost that much more to get to Manhattan. Non stop flights to an of the three airports should be easy. And there is a difference between "non stop" and "direct", which might be important if you have a fear of flying.

How not to freeze? Buy (or borrow from a snowbird friend) a heavy coat, gloves, and a good hat that covers your ears.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
A few items:
You have a choice of options for airports from your origin and NYC -
LGA, EWR OR JFK.
You can also base your departure from FL via SRQ, TPA or MCO depending which is cheapest (prices are typically around $100 o/w unless JetBlue offers a sale). The flight is short so unless you plan to load up on cocktails or a very large/wide individual - save your UG/FC money for dinner in NYC.

Cold weather can be 50s or currently 23 (w/wind chill @12). If you are able - after X-Mas sales this year try to buy your gloves, hat, scarf, etc. And layer layer layer! Don't rely solely on a coat.

Hotels and location is entirely dependent on cost and luxury requirements - as most hotels have easy access to public transportation or cabs.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I like Tripadvisor for up to date info on hotels, and I highly suggest you check your hotel prior to your trip for updated info. I can think of a couple times that has really saved me. Once a hotel was undergoing a room by room renovation and there were many reports of construction noise going on in the adjacent room starting at 7 AM. Another time, users reported about a construction site across the street which cause excessive noise problems. Don't just reply on reputation and location in making your hotel selection.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
And there is a difference between "non stop" and "direct", which might be important if you have a fear of flying.
This is an important distinction.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions thus far. With regards to cost, we're looking to minimize costs, including airfare and hotels, through miles and points. My thinking is if I can reduce the cost of getting to and staying in NYC, as RooseveltL stated, I'd rather spend the money on dining and other luxuries that we don't see here in Tampa. Just thinking of stepping foot in a place like Chelsea Market makes my mouth water.

My apologies for the flight descriptor distinction. We're looking for a non-stop flight from TPA. Looks like flight itineraries are still not available for our time frame but we figured we'd have a gameplan now. I know Delta flies nonstop into LGA. Not sure I'd want to swing 100k SkyPesos though for business class. Thanks again all!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
If you are staying midtown (which it seems you are) the best ways of getting to the city from JFK and LGA are the airport shuttles such as the NYC airporter (http://www.nycairporter.com/) or the standard Go/Super Shuttles. The aiporter drops at Grand Central and then either walk, or take a free hotel transfer. For EWR take NJT in to Penn Station and either cab or walk it.

I don't really like taking cabs anymore because I'm paying more to sit in the same traffic the shuttles are in without the free wifi, but someone people don't like the hassle of getting to the stop and sharing a ride.

For hotel and show deals, check broadwaybox.com for deals.

On a personal note, I tend to avoid EWR because it seems to always have the worst delays, which outweighs the advantage of being closer to Manhatten.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Bring VERY comfortable shoes. I cannot stress this enough. I have had to take visiting family/friends to get a fresh pair of sneakers twice.

Don't worry about first class as the flights are short.

Fly into any of the 3 airports based on price/schedule. The shuttle from LGA or JFK works fine. I DO NOT use NJ Transit trains from EWR. EWR is my primary airport and when not using a car service for work I use the Coach USA Olympia Bus. It picks up/drops off at each terminal and had 3 stops in Manhattan (Port Authority, Bryant Park & Grand Central). No schlepping of bags and much less waiting/transfers.

Study the subway map before you get here. NYers are by default actually very friendly and like to help out with directions. BUT stay out of our way and do not even think about trying to ask for directions when we are on our way to work.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd recommend a taxi or private car service, rather than a shuttle service. Though the latter is cheaper, taxis and private car services (which cost roughly the same) will get you to your hotel much faster without have to schlep luggage through midtown.

As for the cold, just get ready for it. Subways are a great way to get around and get you out of the cold (though subway cars are always overheated) -- just study the maps. Understand, however, that the NYC subway system was, at one time, three separate "lines" -- the IND, the IRT and the BMT. Though it's all operated as a single system, New Yorkers still refer to the different lines, e.g. "Take the IRT down to 42nd Street, then change to the downtown IND and get off at the West 4th Street stop." Also, because these were once three separate systems, it is sometimes a little complicated to go from one line to another, even though the map shows both having a stop at the same location. Changing trains might involve, going up a specific staircase, following a concourse to a specific pedestrian tunnel, going through the tunnel and then down another staircase to the actual stop of the other line. Directions are well-marked and you won't get lost, but make sure you pay attention to signs and be prepared for a bit of walking and stair-climbing.

Weather at Thanksgiving is variable, as already noted, so bring clothes that are adaptable for mild to extreme cold. You're going to spend a LOT of time outside on foot -- blocks can be very long in Manhattan, depending on which direction you're going. For example, it's a much, much longer walk from 3rd Avenue to 7th Avenue than it is from 57th Street to 42nd Street. Taxis are an option but, particularly during high-travel times, you'll be paying a lot of money to sit in a taxi going nowhere fast. As a rule it is faster to go up or downtown (along the avenues) than cross-town (along the streets). For efficiency, try to plan your visit around neighborhoods -- Wall Street area in the morning, upper East Side in the afternoon, mid-town in the evening (for the Broadway show -- and, please, don't just pick any show or some Disney dreck or revuesical because you've heard of it; check the reviews in the New York Times, the New Yorker and other reputable sources. Trust me, you'll thank me for it.).

Finally, be sure to allow for breaks to return to your hotel. You'll want to stop by the room to drop off purchases, warm up, rest your feet AND use the toilet -- finding a usable public toilet in NYC is a specialized skill not unlike gold prospecting.

Also, though you said you want to do the typical tourist things, bear in mind that NYC, in my opinion the greatest city in the world AND the center of the universe, is also the most diverse city in terms of things to see and do. If you have special interests, do a little research before going; chances are you'll find a museum, multiple stores, a convention or two, or something else that focuses specifically on your personal interests. Whether it's antique toy trains, high fashion, Lithuanian food, circuses, the history of radio . . . it's there in New York and, probably, there's a lot of it.

And, finally, yes, New Yorkers are friendly and helpful, not withstanding the public perception to the contrary. Don't be put off by what might seem like brusqueness or shortness -- that's just New York attitude and isn't meant to be rude; that's just how New Yorkers talk (I mean "tawk"). If a hot dog vendor says, "Hey, lady, what do you want?" he's not being rude; he really wants to know how he can help you. Ask him, "Are these hot dogs really kosher?" and he'll say, "Lady, I get dese every morning straight from Sabrett's. Dey got rabbis all ovah da place dere. Dese are the most kosher you gonna find in da City.* Wanna try one? De're great with mustud."

* New York City is called "the City," which refers to Manhattan unless you're outside of NYC in which case it refers to all of the 5 boroughs -- growing up in Queens, I would say, "Hey, ma, are we going into the City on Saturday?" "New York" refers only to the City. "New York State" means the the rest of the state. I grew up in New York. Anyone from Albany who says, "I grew up in New York," rather than "I grew up in New York State (or Upstate New York)" is a lying interloper trying to trade on the prestige associated with being a real New Yorker.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
If you're going to do the tourist thing, I'd suggest buying a City Passes. I did and it's a great value.

Link here

Also, if you want to access the crown of the Statue of Liberty you'll need a reservation. It was physically demanding, but an incredible experience that I highly recommend.

Link here
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
a few words

buy long johns and tight underwear. Dont let the cold wind touch you as much as possible

as for things to do, look into the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City. Also, NY Botanical Garden might be nice with their holiday train show (a bit out of Midtown, so a different view of NY).

Of course a lot of things to do near Rockefeller Center..the tree, ice skating, window watching at Saks.....

Oh, so many things to do.....
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Weather at Thanksgiving is variable, as already noted, so bring clothes that are adaptable for mild to extreme cold. You're going to spend a LOT of time outside on foot -- blocks can be very long in Manhattan, depending on which direction you're going. For example, it's a much, much longer walk from 3rd Avenue to 7th Avenue than it is from 57th Street to 42nd Street.
Only if you go via, say, the FDR. Otherwise, they're about the same.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michael El
If you're going to do the tourist thing, I'd suggest buying a City Passes. I did and it's a great value.

Link here
I prefer the New York Pass yes it is more expensive but includes a lot more things. I find it incredible value and it made me go see things I might not have done.

OP has some time to plan what they want to see and sort out some itineraries and group attractions in the same place to save travel times.

Am often amazed that many people visit NYC without doing some even basic planning on what they want to see and when and so miss out on a lot.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Subways are a great way to get around and get you out of the cold (though subway cars are always overheated) -- just study the maps. Understand, however, that the NYC subway system was, at one time, three separate "lines" -- the IND, the IRT and the BMT. Though it's all operated as a single system, New Yorkers still refer to the different lines, e.g. "Take the IRT down to 42nd Street, then change to the downtown IND and get off at the West 4th Street stop."
Everything PTravel said is right on, except this. The newer subway cars are quite comfortable unless you happen to get in the odd one whose a/c or heat are broken. It happens, but it's rare. In the summer, the a/c in the older cars in the fleet isn't as strong as in the newer cars, but that won't matter for you.

As for the whole BMT/IRT/IND thing...anyone who started living here after about 1990 will have no idea what you're talking about unless they're a subway/train buff. As a general rule, the IRT trains are the numbered lines (1-7). The BMT/IND ones are the lettered trains (A-G, J, L-N, Q-T). But this is totally irrelevant to getting around the city. All you need to know is the train letters/numbers you want.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
As for the whole BMT/IRT/IND thing...anyone who started living here after about 1990 will have no idea what you're talking about unless they're a subway/train buff. As a general rule, the IRT trains are the numbered lines (1-7). The BMT/IND ones are the lettered trains (A-G, J, L-N, Q-T). But this is totally irrelevant to getting around the city. All you need to know is the train letters/numbers you want.
+1. I work in NYC and have a number of coworkers who are locals...and no one refers to IRT/BMT/IND...letters and numbers only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.