Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA over EWR, how much of a savings is worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I live in NJ about a 35 minute drive from Newark airport in perfect conditions and a 1-hour 5-minute drive in perfect conditions from LaGuardia Airport. (1 hour 10-minutes in perfect conditions from JFK).

I'm trying to decide how much of a savings it would take for me to fly from LaGuardia instead of Newark(JFK fares were significantly higher than LGA) . In my case, the flyers are a 7-year old plus her parents. We'd likely be flying home on a night before school resumes and be away for 5 days or less. We would only take nonstop flights which both airports offer.

It's probably cheaper for a 5-day or less stay to drive and park rather than cabbing it which is $105+ to Laguardia each way and $45 each way to Newark.
Convenience is something else.

For $240 savings on the roundrtrip for the three of us ($80 each), is it worth it to go to Laguardia or are the possible traffic delays, tolls, higher parking fees?, not worth it in terms of money, stress etc...????

How much of a savings is worth it to you? What else am I not considering??
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:31 am

Not worth it in my opinion. People try to often save on flights - but in the process add massively to the inconvenience. If you are on a budget just save a bit more while there (cheaper dinners, smaller rental car, etc)
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:24 am

I'd probably do it if the net savings (taking into account differences in tolls, parking, etc.) was really going to be in the hundreds. But then I'd probably regret it.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

OP: Are any other airports possible for the route you want to fly? ABE, TTN, SWF, HPN? They might or might not have even lower fares than LGA.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: DL
I'd also say not worth it. I'm on the other side - LGA/JFK being much closer than EWR. If I don't save at least twice what it would cost me to get there and back I don't see the point. EWR has much cheaper parking (so for you, another reason not to go to LGA) and frankly, I prefer to minimize stress whenever possible. The drive can be incredibly stressful and beyond unpredictable. As erik123 said - if price is an issue, cut back elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.