Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

How to give cabbies instructions so you don't get ripped off? (Midtown East - LGA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to give cabbies instructions so you don't get ripped off? (Midtown East - LGA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
The problem you are facing is a typical one.
Most cabbies know Manhattan and do not know Brooklyn/Queens.
I'd like to point out that an insane number of yellow cabs and livery companies alike are set up in the LIC/Astoria area, which is 15-20 minutes to LGA by local roads to GCP.

I'm pretty sure they're just trying to get you there ASAP so that they can turn around and get another fare. Crescent St S/B towards the 59th St Bridge is always filled with cabs coming back from, presumably, LGA (they don't want to pay the fare back into Manhattan).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I would not imply any cab driver is attempting to rip anyone off because a meter is a meter and cabbies typically want to get rid of you soon vs. later so they can obtain the next fare.

My take-away is many cabbies don't know alternatives for routes to outer boroughs or airports. So, if they know the Tri Bridge is closest that is what they will take and same goes for VWE, etc.
Many cabbies -- despite living in Brooklyn or Queens -- have poor knowledge of the alternatives once you get out of Manhattan or are heading out of Manhattan.

Expect to more frequently get less experienced cabbies during the off-hours than during the regular hours. At least that is what I would expect given how taxi owners/users rent/re-rent/share a cab.

NYC cabbies really aren't much in the game of taking people on long trips to try to fleece the passengers -- they would end up fleecing themselves. They are big time into taking the fastest route to pick up a new fare even if the trip is longer distance-wise and involves tolls. They want you out as fast as possible to pick up the next fare. The cabbies do generally better picking up fares in Manhattan for Manhattan drop-offs than taking you to LGA and hiking up the distance to save their time or hiking up the distance and time. [The exception may be cabbies about to come off a shift who need to get back to Brooklyn or Queens.] This dynamic of how to maximize their income -- which they know pretty well -- is why from the UES I often have had to play a game of picking up a cab in the "wrong" direction with my bag sort of out of sight to hail a cross-avenue cab.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 30, 2013 at 3:00 am
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by transparent
The last couple times, I ended up taking a cab, mainly due to the time of day (really early, and really late). My understanding was that the fare should have come out to about $28 with tip.
It's a time of day thing as early in the morning it's closer to $28 but as the day wears on it's around mid $30 as the traffic on the surface streets as well as the BQE and Queensboro increases. Often a lot of the traffic is on the streets coming from LGA on to the GCP.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by cestmoi123

3a. The way I see a lot of cabbies wanting to go is to take the Grand Central to the BQE (278) to 495 (essentially, the same route as to the Midtown Tunnel), but then get off at Van Dam, and take the BQE. This is certainly simpler than taking surface streets, but it's a bit longer.

I'm guessing you mean BQE-LIE-Van Dam-Queens blvd/plaza-QBB? The BQE doesn't make any sense on the final part.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I'm guessing you mean BQE-LIE-Van Dam-Queens blvd/plaza-QBB? The BQE doesn't make any sense on the final part.
Cheers
Howie
Exactly, yes.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:00 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
What? Why not GCP->31st->Astoria Blvd N->Crescent St/21st St->QBB?

That area by the LIE exit S/B on BQE is often traffic heavy thanks to the Kosciuszko. Then again, they are the experts
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:50 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
From LGA to your area, there are basically three river crossing options: the Triboro, the Midtown Tunnel or the Queensboro.

3b. You can also take surface streets to the Queensboro. This route is the shortest and the cheapest. Take the Grand Central Pkwy toward the Triboro, but get off at exit 45 (31st St). Stay to the right (don't get back on the highway toward the Triboro) through the intersection with Astoria Blvd, and go straight ahead, then make a left onto Crescent Street. Follow Crescent St all the way down until it basically feeds you into a right turn onto the Queensboro Bridge. For most (but not all) cabbies, telling them "take Crescent St to the 59th St Bridge" will get you this route. I find it about 3/4 of cabbies know what I'm taking about. Here's a Google Maps link for this route, assuming the UN is your destination: http://goo.gl/WNpqeq

Going from LGA to the UN, distance for each route is:

3b. 7.6 miles, no toll

Assuming no traffic (so all meter based on distance, not time), you're looking at fares of (assuming 20% tip on the whole fare, including toll):

3b. 7.6 miles, no toll, $26

Bottom line, 3B (Crescent St to the 59th St Bridge) is very likely your best bet, unless the 59th St Bridge is much more congested than the Triboro or Midtown Tunnel.
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. True, I'm not local enough (in Queens) to be able to direct the route, but hopefully this will help.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
The implication of this thread the cabbies are trying to rip you off troubles me. It's not like cabbies make extra money by taking toll roads. Most take the toll roads because they're faster, and faster is always better for the cabbie.

Don't get me wrong. There are some cabbies who would prefer to take a longer route or otherwise try to rip you off. But that's true in virtually every city, and in fact I think it's less true in NYC than in most other U.S. cities. (In Boston, I have on numerous occasions had to redirect cabbies to the Sumner Tunnel when leaving Logan Airport instead of the Ted Williams Tunnel, which adds several dollars to a trip to my Cambridge apartment.) When traveling to JFK, for example, which is a flat fare except for the tolls, most cabbies will take the toll route not because it puts any more money in their pocket, but because it's faster.

That said, if you're knowledgeable there are ways to save tolls and take shorter routes that cabbies may not know about. By all means, educate yourself and feel free to direct the cabbies. If done politely, I rarely have a cabbie argue with me about the route I want to take. If they do object, just be firm. And please remember that being a cabbie is not an easy job; it involves very long hours for not very good pay. By all means don't let them get away with ripping you off, but it doesn't hurt to show a little compassion to these guys.
I understand that being a cabbie is a tough job. I always tip fairly when the cabbie is being fair. And what I consider fair is to follow my instructions when I give them (the first guy took a toll when I made clear NO TOLL). The second trip I was just making sure. I would also consider a cabbie taking a toll to save himself some time without checking with me to be a roundabout way of putting more money in their pocket (because they can get a new fare quicker), at my expense.

I'm sorry that checking to make sure I wasn't ripped off troubles you; I've been ripped off (even when I spoke the local language, and was familiar with the city) in many places and even when you are prepared it happens. But you are right, I feel it happens much less in NYC.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Very informative, especially since I rarely take taxis in NYC (preferring public transportation).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by transparent
I would also consider a cabbie taking a toll to save himself some time without checking with me to be a roundabout way of putting more money in their pocket (because they can get a new fare quicker), at my expense.
While I agree with most of your post (especially when a cabbie took a toll when you explicitly asked him not to), I don't agree with this part.

Yes, maybe it's beneficial for the cabbie, but most people taking taxis prefer the quickest route possible as well. Tourists probably are not aware of which routes are fastest or of the fact that tolls can be avoided. New Yorkers, maybe. But obviously, not all are. Likely, the cabbie generally faces no opposition when taking toll roads, so he will naturally choose the quickest route he knows. Unless instructed, no reason to do otherwise. Thus, I don't have a problem with taxis taking toll roads, but I will make it clear which route I prefer if I have a preferred route.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:46 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
While I agree with most of your post (especially when a cabbie took a toll when you explicitly asked him not to), I don't agree with this part.

Yes, maybe it's beneficial for the cabbie, but most people taking taxis prefer the quickest route possible as well. Tourists probably are not aware of which routes are fastest or of the fact that tolls can be avoided. New Yorkers, maybe. But obviously, not all are. Likely, the cabbie generally faces no opposition when taking toll roads, so he will naturally choose the quickest route he knows. Unless instructed, no reason to do otherwise. Thus, I don't have a problem with taxis taking toll roads, but I will make it clear which route I prefer if I have a preferred route.
Agreed. It's a no-win situation for the cabbie - if they take the longer route with no toll, then people will complain that they are running up the fare that way.

If you have a preferred route, it's up to you to specify. Some cabbies will ask as a matter of courtesy, but they are by no means required to do so.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:34 pm

Taking the Triborough is never faster.

Always tell the cab driver to take the 59th St. Bridge to 31st Street to Grand Central Parkway. The driver will probably ask what terminal, but if he or she doesn't, tell them before the airport exits, or if you don't know, tell them what airline you're taking. Drivers always say there's too much traffic on the 59th St. Bridge, but that's practically never true. The trip over the Triborough is a few miles longer, benefitting the driver, and you have to pay that extra fare, plus the toll. Sometimes they say the Triborough is safer from people who might rob the cab if it's stuck in traffic. Don't fall for it. Take the 59th St. Bridge, and say it like you know what you're talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.