Question on connection in LGA-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 9W silver, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat

Hi all,
I am travelling from IAH to BLR on a personal trip and the cheapest option is DL from IAH to LGA and AI from JFK to DEL. I have flown on AI from the US before and didnt mind the experience at all.
However, I am a bit skeptical on changing airports and there is only a 2:30 hrs connection time.
Any brave soul who has done this before? Will DL/AI provide the shuttle or are we on our own?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
You're on your own for the transfer, I'm afraid. It's a pretty short connection and I wouldn't risk it, but if you have to, check the NYC forum for any previous experience with such transfers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/

I'd say the odds of missing the connection are rather high, probably >50% depending on time of day/week and traffic.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Do you have status on AI and/or are you flying business class? How well do you know LGA and JFK?

If your answers are "no" and "not very well", then this is a riskier move than I'd advise. This said, the cab ride is pretty much a straight shot and you don't have to enter Manhattan, so assuming your flights are on time and you don't have baggage, it's definitely doable.

So just how bindaas are you?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
LGA to JFK by cab takes 30 minutes - if you aren't stuck in traffic that is.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 9W silver, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat
thanks folks.. this helps.. I will have a checked in bag that might take some time as I dont have status with DL/AI.. I am not going to use the option.. in no mood for the adventure that seems to be in store
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bpbindaas
thanks folks.. this helps.. I will have a checked in bag that might take some time as I dont have status with DL/AI.. I am not going to use the option.. in no mood for the adventure that seems to be in store
i did this earlier this year & it took me about 45 minutes from the time i landed in lga to the time i reached the check-in counters at jfk....but i had almost 7 hours between flights so was in no rush....
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i did this earlier this year & it took me about 45 minutes from the time i landed in lga to the time i reached the check-in counters at jfk....but i had almost 7 hours between flights so was in no rush....
Thanks Keyser!
Did you have any checked in bags? and what time of the day did u make the connection??
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bpbindaas
Thanks Keyser!
Did you have any checked in bags? and what time of the day did u make the connection??
if i remember correctly, i had 2 checked in bags & my lga flight landed around noon....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.