Wiki Posts
Search

EWR taxi fares to points in New Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat

Does anyone know what the taxi fares are from EWR to New Jersey locations?
I've never taken a Newark cab but I've heard that they are unmetered and go by a flat rate "zone" system from the airport. Haven't found any info online about current fares. Also, can Newark cabs pick you up outside Newark and take you back to EWR? Can they be called ahead of time?

My usual destination when flying into EWR is South Orange, which is only 11 miles from the airport but not very convenient via train/bus since it's not on the main NEC NJ Transit line.

I usually ask a relative to pick me up, but that's not always an option. I've also taken a town car in the past, but that seems very expensive compared to some of the car service rates on the other side of the Hudson (about $75.00 from EWR to South Orange).
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:15 am

Sample EWR taxi fares are here. South Orange isn't on the list, but based on the distances of other destinations I'd guess it's roughly $50 + tip.

I'm not sure if Newark or Elizabeth taxis can pick up outside the cities of Newark and Elizabeth (they can only do EWR terminal pickups at the terminal(s) located in their respective city, for example). But there are almost certainly local taxi companies in South Orange or nearby that can take you to the airport. Poke around Yelp or Yahoo Local and you should be able to find a few. You can also try some of the car services listed under EWR/NJ on the page linked above. Dial7 for example will probably pick you up in South Orange.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"My usual destination when flying into EWR is South Orange, which is only 11 miles from the airport but not very convenient via train/bus since it's not on the main NEC NJ Transit line."

How about taking the NJ Transit go28 bus from the airport to Newark's Broad Street Station, and a train to South Orange from there?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I'll add that the GO Bus is a BRT route (Bus Rapid Transit) with fixed stops (not every corner like your average city bus) operating more akin to Light Rail service.

GO28 Bus Schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0028.pdf
GO28 Bus Information: http://www.njtransit.com/go28
Morris and Essex Line Schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0040.pdf

If you still have questions on specific towns in NJ, feel free to list the towns and I will get you the fares from our chart on Sunday.

Last edited by kwildnj; Apr 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

South Orange...are you going in the vicinity of Seton Hall? I ask because I found a website that apparently ranks college transportation. It mentions 2 taxi companies for transportation between the university and EWR. It also quotes cab fare as $32. Now I'm not sure how old the website is but you might want to consider calling either of these cab companies to price cab fare to your destination in South Orange.

Best Ways to Get to the Airport
A cab ride to the airport costs $32.
Green Taxi Cab Co. (973) 643-4100
Newark Cab Association Inc. (973) 824-0716
http://collegeprowler.com/seton-hall...ransportation/
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I understand your troubles it is close in distance but quite expensive cab ride and scheduled limo requires arrival at airport too far in advance.

Besides options given previously with Go28 to Newark Board St. for train. This can be tricky as there are two different flavors of Go28 and one doesn't stop at Nwk Board St.

Newark cabs have a flat rate so it cost $55 to drive a distance (to a town) even if short.
I'd suggest similar to previous response check the rate via S. Orange or Mapelwood based cab companies. It may be cheaper and if you can coordinate with them for your arrival so they pick you up at the airport (at departures) for slightly lower cost.

E.g. of above - last time I was too intoxicated to drive home from Manhattan late night I took PATH to Nwk Penn. The Newark company cab ride was a flat $55 but I called my townie cab company and they told me to wait at the Hilton for their arrival and it saved me $20.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:04 pm

Try using www.taxifarefinder.com when trying to figure out the cost of a taxi fare. I have used this website multiple times in the past and it has always given me very accurate fare estimates! Hope this helps.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions. Analise, I'll have to check out the two cab companies you mentioned and see what their current rates are to EWR.

I've been aware of the go28 bus to connect to the train, but the Morris & Essex Line only runs once an hour on weekends and other non-peak hours so the timing isn't always convenient.

Another option would be to take a cab from EWR to the Ivy Hill shopping center on Irvington Avenue, which is in the city of Newark but only 1/2 mile (and an easy walk) to my destination in South Orange. Does the fare jump from $18 to $50 once you cross the city line? I'll have to find this out next time I am there.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I've been aware of the go28 bus to connect to the train, but the Morris & Essex Line only runs once an hour on weekends and other non-peak hours so the timing isn't always convenient.
The other possibility is the Coach USA #31 bus (not NJ Transit) from Newark Penn Station - some runs continue to South Orange.

http://www.google.com/search?q=coach+usa+31+bus

I've never taken it, but you should be able to catch it by taking either the #62 to Penn Station or the go28 to Broad & Market.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

I flew into EWR today so finally got to try the taxi to Ivy Hill option. Sure enough, the dispatcher quoted me only $18.00 since the Ivy Hill shopping center is within the Newark city limits. According to the chart posted at the Terminal A taxi stand, the fare to Maplewood or South Orange is $43.00.

The driver yelled and grumbled about taking me there (he said "that's like going to Maplewood") but the dispatcher did give him a short trip card so he could cut the line when he came back to EWR.

He dropped me off in front of the Walgreens on Irvington Avenue, I gave him $21 to cover fare and tip, and I walked the 0.8 miles into South Orange. The 12 minute walk was pleasant enough and saved me $25!

This was an Elizabeth cab, but was still unmetered and subject to the same rates for trips out of EWR as Newark cabs.

An added bonus: the Ivy Hill area is less rough looking than last time I was there a few years ago. There is a new Newark Police substation, a preschool and a new facade on the shopping center. I felt perfectly safe even walking on the block or two of Irvington Avenue that is in Newark.

Coming back I'm flying out of LGA, so I won't get to try the reverse direction. There aren't any particularly convenient places to wait for a cab in Ivy Hill, so this trick won't work as well heading back to EWR.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
This was an Elizabeth cab, but was still unmetered and subject to the same rates for trips out of EWR as Newark cabs.
The border between Newark and Elizabeth runs through EWR. Only Elizabeth cabs can pick up at the terminal(s) in Elizabeth (I think Terminal A?) and only Newark cabs can pick up at the terminal(s) in Newark (I think Terminals B and C?). But they all have the same rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.