Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:01 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Yellow Taxi Cab drivers required to use EZ Pass + discount at toll crossings

Didn't want to start a new thread but had a question about this:

I recently went from Mid-town to LGA. The cab driver took the R.F.K Bridge. He said he left his EZ Pass at home and asked that I pay the $6.50 cash toll. I gave him $6.50 and he got me a toll plaza receipt. When I got out of the cab and examined the taxi fare receipt I saw $4.80 added on the toll line of the taxi fare. Was I double charged for the toll? And should I complain to the TLC?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I guess he is charging you for the round trip.
Of course, there is the chance he picks up a fare and charges them toll also but I could be wrong but cabs departing NYC for Newark airport do charge you the return toll even though you don't encounter it on the outbound direction.

The tunnel is faster than the QBoro Bridge as you eliminate the local lights, etc. in Queens and queue up to the bridge lower level. Is it worth $4.80 of time doubtful but taxi drivers don't always follow logic.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by TTT

I recently went from Mid-town to LGA. The cab driver took the R.F.K Bridge. He said he left his EZ Pass at home and asked that I pay the $6.50 cash toll. I gave him $6.50 and he got me a toll plaza receipt. When I got out of the cab and examined the taxi fare receipt I saw $4.80 added on the toll line of the taxi fare. Was I double charged for the toll? And should I complain to the TLC?
You got screwed either way on this. It is a fineable offense to operate a taxicab in New York City without an EZ-Pass. Unofficially if they don't have one they have to pay the fare and charge you the discounted EZ-Pass rate (which is the $4.80 that appeared on your fare). Or they charged you the return journey toll which is also a fineable offense as there are only three crossings which allow for return tolls and neither the Midtown Tunnel nor the RFK Bridge are included.

Since you have the receipt and the Medallion number file a complaint with the TLC.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:37 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by TTT

Yes, you should complain to TLC.

Taxi cab drivers are REQUIRED to use EZ Pass and are REQUIRED to pass the discount along to the passenger. If a driver charges me $6.50 because they forgot their EZ Pass, then that's their problem, and I deduct the difference from the tip, as well as any additional waiting time spent in the Cash lane, which is usually slower than the EZ Pass lane.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...b_rights.shtml

http://www.examiner.com/government-i...o-use-e-z-pass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And as this topic is a bit different from the original thread, I've split it out into a separate thread.
/Moderator
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TTT
So he added the EZ pass discounted fare back to Manhattan even though he claims he left it at home. Sounds like he didn't. He might have had it all along but in the glove compartment in a protective bag which blocks charges from being made.

TTT, you need to report this. This lowlife took advantage of you. Don't reward him by letting him get away with it. We already have a thread in which that OP rewarded a cabbie with a large tip after he mouthed off at him because the fare was only to Queens and not to Manhattan.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all - complaint, with receipts, has been filed. I guess I need to submit some written testimony as well.

It smelled fishy but it is good to know for sure. And he seemed like a good guy - at least his Christian reggae music led me to think so.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Oh, man, I missed that he actually made you pay the $6.50 toll in cash and THEN CHARGED YOU AGAIN for the $4.80 EZ Pass rate on the taxi fare. What a crook.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LGA ain't EWR

You don't pay RT tolls on LGA (or JFK) runs. Only EWR (becs. it's out-of-state). Either this guy screwed you deliberately or inadverdently, but either way, you did get screwed.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how they add the fare to the meter, but perhaps it was inadvertent. In any event, the OP should have noticed the extra charge when paying and addressed it then. IMO, there's some responsibility there.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't know how they add the fare to the meter, but perhaps it was inadvertent. In any event, the OP should have noticed the extra charge when paying and addressed it then. IMO, there's some responsibility there.
Great point! How do they add the toll? If it requires the cabby doing something to the meter (e.g. pushing a button but certainly manually adding dollars and cents), then it may well be larceny. In that case, it's not like he didn't know the passenger already paid the toll.

Edited to add: The "great point" was the question about how the toll gets added to the meter computation. I reject any idea that the passenger has any responsibility to determine the accuracy of the bill on the spot or is then foreclosed from relief. Should cab drivers have a 15 minute statute of limitations for intentional or negligent overcharging?

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jan 21, 2012 at 10:26 am
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree - I didn't look at the receipt or fare calculation on the screen closely enough. It was not until I got into the airport that I really looked at it and noticed. I should have paid more attention before getting out of the cab.

It very well could have been inadvertent - I think I read somewhere that some meters are designed to automatically add the toll when driving through the booth. Maybe that's how it worked in this situation. In any case he shouldn't have had me pay the cash toll to begin with and should have had his EZ Pass (if he indeed forgot it).
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
I agree - I didn't look at the receipt or fare calculation on the screen closely enough. It was not until I got into the airport that I really looked at it and noticed. I should have paid more attention before getting out of the cab.

It very well could have been inadvertent - I think I read somewhere that some meters are designed to automatically add the toll when driving through the booth.
Don't kid yourself. You were taken advantage of. There is no automated meter that adds EZ pass fare over the East River for a reverse trip to Queens. This guy knows he must have his EZ pass with him but chose to lie to you.

Nothing about what you experienced is "inadvertent". You were targeted.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I guess he is charging you for the round trip.
Which is not permitted on east river crossing fares; only to EWR is that allowed.
I don't know how they add the fare to the meter, but perhaps it was inadvertent.
When they go through the toll there is an alert on the meter that they accept to run the charge. My understanding is that it is triggered based on the GPS in the system.
Originally Posted by Analise
Don't kid yourself. You were taken advantage of.
Absolutely. I'd complain to the TLC about it, and also write it off as a $6.50 lesson that doesn't deserve too much more follow-up.

There is no automated meter that adds EZ pass fare over the East River for a reverse trip to Queens.
Well, the meter does know when you're crossing a toll plaza and prompts the driver to add the toll to the fare. The driver stole the extra $4.80 by accepting the toll add-on while knowingly not paying with such. And the driver really stole $6.50 because the toll should have been the lower number to begin with.

Nothing about what you experienced is "inadvertent". You were targeted.
Agreed.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Edited to add: The "great point" was the question about how the toll gets added to the meter computation. I reject any idea that the passenger has any responsibility to determine the accuracy of the bill on the spot or is then foreclosed from relief. Should cab drivers have a 15 minute statute of limitations for intentional or negligent overcharging?
The OP is 100% responsible for not checking the bill when paying it. And now, as a result, he has to file forms/complaints and hope he can get his money back. If he checked the bill then, he wouldn't be in this situation. It's pretty straightforward, isn't it?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
The OP is 100% responsible for not checking the bill when paying it. And now, as a result, he has to file forms/complaints and hope he can get his money back. If he checked the bill then, he wouldn't be in this situation. It's pretty straightforward, isn't it?
NO! I don't blame victims. This kind of reasoning is akin to saying "she was asking for it."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.