Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

One day in NYC with a 4yo. What to do? Best pizza and deli?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One day in NYC with a 4yo. What to do? Best pizza and deli?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAChargers
Thanks for the help. I didn't have internet access so we went to Carnegie's deli at the recommendation of the hotel. I had red about Stage also and we walked past it but saw the line at Carnegie's and waited about 15 minutes to get seated. We shared a Reuben for $27 which seemed a little pricey but it wasn't bad.
Do concierges assume that tourists want to be in restaurants filled with other tourists? $27 for a reuben IS way overpriced. I assume they knew that tourists wouldn't mind. I'm glad you had a nice trip.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by swag
It's been too long ( ~5 years?) since I've been to Carnegie, so I was curious enough to look for a menu.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/menu.php

Base corned beef sandwich is $16, reasonable if it's still as overstuffed as I remember. The Woody Allen (super-stuffed corned beef & pastrami) is $19. The "gargantuan combo" sandwiches (including the reuben) are mostly $24.

All of these have a $3 charge for sharing, so yeah, there's $27. Add on tax and tip and you've got a $35 sandwich. (That's worth every penny, IMO).

You're still hungry???
We only ate about half of it total! Not to sidetrack too much about Carnegie's but I found it humorous that the waiter handed us the bill and said to pay up front but leave the tip on the table.

We ended up eating at John's and found it ok. Nothing great imo but nice.

We waited about 15-20 min at both Carnegie's and John's but I figure there must be something worth waiting for if all of these people are waiting.

In the end, it was too short of a trip and we were much too tired. We flew HNL-EWR on an almost 10 hr red-eye and arrived at about 12:30pm at the hotel (6:30am HNL time). We were tired and our room wasn't ready so we went to Carnegie's and went back and checked in and rested for a while and went to Toys R Us as recommended and walked a little of 5th Ave.

After dinner we were all tired and didn't do much else that day. The next morning we forced ourselves to wake up at 9am (3am HNL time) and have breakfast which was included as a diamond at the hotel.

By the time we finished breakfast it was already close to 11am and our car was coming at 1pm so we took a quick walk back to 5th to go to the American Girl store for our 4yo daughter and then back to the hotel to catch the ride to the airport.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by LAChargers
We only ate about half of it total! Not to sidetrack too much about Carnegie's but I found it humorous that the waiter handed us the bill and said to pay up front but leave the tip on the table.

We ended up eating at John's and found it ok. Nothing great imo but nice.

We waited about 15-20 min at both Carnegie's and John's but I figure there must be something worth waiting for if all of these people are waiting.

In the end, it was too short of a trip and we were much too tired. We flew HNL-EWR on an almost 10 hr red-eye and arrived at about 12:30pm at the hotel (6:30am HNL time). We were tired and our room wasn't ready so we went to Carnegie's and went back and checked in and rested for a while and went to Toys R Us as recommended and walked a little of 5th Ave.

After dinner we were all tired and didn't do much else that day. The next morning we forced ourselves to wake up at 9am (3am HNL time) and have breakfast which was included as a diamond at the hotel.

By the time we finished breakfast it was already close to 11am and our car was coming at 1pm so we took a quick walk back to 5th to go to the American Girl store for our 4yo daughter and then back to the hotel to catch the ride to the airport.
Sounds like you did about all you could given the time difference/jet lag. I'd say that was a pretty good use of your time, and I'm sure that your daughter enjoyed the American Girl store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.