Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Irene - Emergency Measures and Airport Impacts (Aug 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Irene - Emergency Measures and Airport Impacts (Aug 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Exclamation Hurricane Irene - Emergency Measures and Airport Impacts (Aug 2011)

So when do y'all think NYC airports will start having preventative flight cancellations due to Irene?

On Saturday 8/27 I am supposed to fly on a DL Award ticket:

CLT - JFK: 1040AM
JFK - LAX: 3:20PM
LAX - KUL: 12:45AM

I wonder how long flights will come in and out of JFK (and EWR/LGA)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For up-to-date information, see:

NYC Severe Weather website

MTA Weather Alert
--Metro-North/NJ Transit Port Jervis Line Updates

NJ Transit Service Information

Port Authority of NY & NJ Hurricane Irene Advisories

Amtrak Service Advisories

LATEST: (as of Thursday, September 1, 3:15pm local time)
NYC airports and bridges & tunnels are all operating normally.

MTA is currently reporting good service on all subway lines. Some bus service changes are in effect due to down trees.

Metro-North has resumed service on the Waterbury Branch of the New Haven Line, with 20-40 minute delays due to power outages affecting grade crossings. The Port Jervis Branch remains out of service due to catastrophic track damage and is not expected to reopen for several months. Busing at Port Jervis and Middletown to/from the Hudson Line-Beacon Station begins today. Good service is reported on all other lines and branches.

LIRR is reporting good service on all branches.

NJ Transit - The Northeast Corridor Line is reporting 10-15 min delays due to flooding at Trenton and the North Jersey Coast Line is reporting 20-30 min delays. On the Main/Bergen/Port Jervis Line, busing is in effect at Port Jervis and Middletown to/from the Metro-North Hudson Line-Beacon Station, and at Harriman to/from Ramsey Route 17. The Raritan Valley Line, Morris & Essex Line, Montclair-Boonton Line, and Atlantic City Line have several station advisories and service changes in effect. The Pascack Valley Line is reporting good service.

Amtrak service has been restored between Washington, New York, and Boston, including the Acela Express. Service on the Ethan Allen, Lake Shore Limited, Carolinian, and Cardinal trains has been restored today, and service on The Palmetto is scheduled to resume on Friday. Service remains suspended for Northeast Regional trains west of Richmond to/from Newport News, for Empire Service trains west of Albany/Rensselaer to/from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, and for Maple Leaf trains east of Niagara Falls to/from Albany.

(as of Tuesday, August 30, 10:35pm local time)
addendum to 5:50pm update below

LIRR plans to restore full weekday service to the Long Beach and Port Jefferson branches for the Wednesday morning commute.

NJ Transit service was partially restored today. Northeast Corridor trains are operating between New Brunswick & New York ONLY due to flooding at Trenton. Service remains suspended between Trenton & New Brunswick. Bus and Light Rail are now operating on regular weekday schedules. Systemwide cross-honoring remains in effect for rail, bus or light rail, PATH and private carrier buses. In addition, NJ Transit is cross-honoring with Amtrak between Newark Airport Station and New York Penn Station, today, Aug. 30, 2011. Additional delays and service changes are in effect. See the NJ Transit website for full details.

(as of Tuesday, August 30, 5:50pm local time)
LGA, JFK, EWR, and SWF reopened on Monday. TEB (Teterboro) airport reopened earlier today as well.

MTA subway and bus services are running with Good Service throughout most of the system. Some delays and service changes are in effect on the A/C/E and N/Q/R lines. See the MTA website for full details

LIRR is operating full weekday service on the Far Rockaway, Babylon, Port Washington, Hempstead, Ronkonkoma, and West Hempstead branches. Service has also been partially restored for the Tuesday evening Eastbound commute on the 5 remaining lines that had been previously suspended (Long Beach, Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, portions of Montauk). Some service suspensions and delays remain due to track damage. See the LIRR website for full details.

Metro-North service has been partially restored. Regular Weekday service is in effect on the Harlem Line (to/from Southeast), Hudson Line, New Haven Main Line, and New Canaan Branch. Busing is in effect on the upper Harlem Line from Southeast to Wassaic. Danbury and Waterbury Branch Line service remains suspended. Port Jervis line service is suspended indefinitely due to catastrophic damage to tracks. Alternative bus services are being established.

Amtrak service has been partially between Washington and Boston. Acela Express service between Washington, New York, and Boston, Northeast Regional trains, and East Coast overnight services are expected to resume on Wednesday, Aug 31. Other service suspensions remain in effect, including Northeast Regional trains west of Richmond to/from Newport News, VA, Empire Service east of Albany to/from Buffalo, and the Lake Shore Limited between Chicago and New York/Boston.

(as of Monday, August 29, 2:00am local time)
LGA is scheduled to reopen for both arrivals and departures at 7:00am Monday.
JFK and EWR are scheduled to reopen for arrivals at 6:00am Monday and for departures at 12:00pm noon Monday.

NYC Taxi and Limousine will discontinue Zone Fares as of 5:00am Monday. In addition, street hails and group rides will no longer be allowed for non-medallion livery (car service / limousine) vehicles.

MTA expects to offer only limited subway and bus service at 6:00am Monday; expect longer waits and more crowded trains - residents are still urged to make alternate plans for the morning commute. All service to the Rockaways (Rockaway Blvd. to Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park) remains suspended due to flooding.

LIRR will resume near-normal service for the Monday morning commute on six branches (Babylon, Huntington, Ronkonkoma, Port Washington (half-hourly service west of Great Neck; no service east of Great Neck), Hempstead, West Hempstead), but service remains suspended to/from Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, Long Beach, Far Rockaway, Montauk (east of Babylon), and Greenport (east of Ronkonkoma).

Metro-North suffered significant damage to its rail system and will not operate regular service on any of its three lines.

PATH service will resume fully at 4:00am Monday.

NJ Transit rail service remains suspended until further notice, except for the Atlantic City Rail Line. Bus and light rail will operate on a modified schedule. Systemwide cross-honoring of tickets and passes on alternative transit modes is in effect. PATH trains and private carrier buses will also honor NJ transit tickets and passes.

MTA and Port Authority bridges and tunnels are all open.

The mandatory evacuation order for "Zone A" was rescinded at 3:00pm Sunday.

(as of Sunday, August 28, 12:30pm local time)
All three major NYC airports (LGA, JFK, EWR) remain closed to all traffic and reopening times are not known at this time. The airports are expected to be closed throughout the day Sunday. Hurricane Irene has been downgraded to Tropical Storm Irene and a Tropical Storm Warning is in effect. The Flood Warning remains in effect thru 6:00pm Sunday, with a Flood Watch thru 2:00am Monday. Mass transit is NOT expected to be running in time for the Monday morning commute, and residents are urged to make alternate plans. Zone-based taxi ride sharing is in effect. The George Washington Bridge lower level has now reopened to E-Z Pass customers and the Holland Tunnel is now reopened in both directions. The FDR drive is closed from E125th St. to E34th St. and is not accessible from the Triborough (RFK) Bridge.
(as of Sunday, August 28, 1:00am local time)
All three major NYC airports (LGA, JFK, EWR) have been closed to all traffic until further notice, and are expected to be closed throughout the day on Sunday. Note also that bridge crossings may be closed due to high winds. The George Washington Bridge lower level is currently closed in both directions and the Palisades Parkway entrance is closed.

NYC is currently under a Hurricane Warning, a Flood Warning thru 12:00 noon Sunday, and a Tornado Watch thru 5:00am Sunday. High tide around 8:00am Sunday will bring particular concerns regarding possible flooding. Mass transit is NOT expected to be running in time for the Monday morning commute, and residents are urged to make alternate plans. Zone-based taxi ride sharing is in effect.

(as of Saturday, August 27, 12:00pm noon local time)
All three major NYC airports (LGA, JFK, EWR) are now closed to arrivals. Check directly with your airline for rebooking information. Public transportation has also begun shutting down.

(as of Friday, August 26, 11:47pm local time)
A MANDATORY EVACUATION has been issued for low-lying "Zone A" coastal areas in all five boroughs, including all parts of the Rockaways. All residents must evacuate by 5:00pm Saturday. Evacuation centers will open at 4:00pm Friday for those without alternative shelter. All residents are encouraged to prepare "Go-Bags" with essential supplies.

• All MTA services, including subway, bus, and rail (LIRR, Metro North) will begin shutting down at 12:00pm noon Saturday.
• PATH service will begin shutting down at 12:00pm noon Saturday.
• NJ Transit rail service will begin shutting down at 12:00pm noon Saturday (trains originating prior to noon will continue to their final destination.)

Members report that all five NYC airports will be closed to arriving flights as of 12:00pm noon Saturday to avoid stranding incoming passengers. Airports plan to remain open for departing flights. Note that most airlines have already canceled flights into and out of NYC for Saturday and Sunday. Check with your carrier for rebooking information.

(as of Friday, August 26, 2:17pm local time)
Members reporting that Mayor Bloomberg is ordering mandatory evacuation of the Rockaways and shutdown of the MTA at Noon on Saturday; MTA service may not be restored in time for Monday AM rush hour. Airlines canceling flights in/out of NYC on Sunday - contact your airline ASAP to rebook as flights are being zeroed out to accommodate rebookings. Alternative links to evacuation zones have been added below. More details to follow...

(as of Friday, August 26, 1:32am local time)
The mayor expects to decide on whether or not to order a mandatory evacuation of low-lying "Zone A" areas by 8:00am on Saturday, August 27. However, Zone A residents, especially the homebound, are being encouraged to move to alternative locations if available to reduce congestion. All NYC residents are also encouraged to prepare for possible flooding by preparing 'Go-Bags' with drinking water, flashlight, important medications, essential documents (passport, etc.), and extra sets of house and car keys.

For Mayor Bloomberg's full press release on Thursday, Aug 25, see:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/html/2011b/pr307-11.html

For a map of potential evacuation zones, see (note that load times may be slow due to high volume):
http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/nyc...ther_map.shtml
http://project-s3.wnyc.org/news-maps...ane-zones.html
http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/index.htm
http://embed.docstoc.com/docs/docume...oc_id=92033780
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dai...e-are-you-in-0

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Sep 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm Reason: moved Port Jervis link to top
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hurricane only has one i.

My concern is talk that the MTA could suspend all service starting Saturday afternoon. Bloomberg said he would make an announcement by 8am Saturday if he orders a mandatory evacuation of parts of the city. You'd think that the MTA would delay work stoppage given that it will take HOURS for people without cars to evacuate. In addition, if service is suspended, WNBC was reporting tonight on the 11pm news that service probably would not be back for Monday morning's commute.

Here is a map of NYC's evacuation zones. http://project.wnyc.org/news-maps/hu...ane-zones.html The city's website has too much traffic but this website provides the exact same map.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:42 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks for that link Analise - the nyc.gov Hurricane Evacuation Zone Finder does not seem to be working.

I have taken the liberty of turning the OP's thread into a more general resource/discussion thread for all NYC residents and visitors (and fixed the title ). Hopefully this will all turn out to be nothing, but better to be prepared, just in case...

I will try to keep the OP updated, but I'm currently traveling. I can say that I already experienced an Irene-related preventative cancellation today, as our first flight was supposed to be LGA-MIA! Fortunately, we managed to reroute and made it out of LGA after the local front passed thru.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:03 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the OP: You should at least try to be proactive and call DL for an alternative routing to LAX that avoids the east coast. Although I don't see a waiver notice on the DL website right now, I'd think a phone call couldn't hurt, even given that it is award travel. Certainly DL has other ways to get from CLT to LAX!

More generally: on that map, am I reading it wrong or do both JFK and LAX appear in zone B (flooded by a cat 2 or greater)?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:50 am

The WSJ is reporting that if MTA shuts down, it will begin to do so SATURDAY morning, the time when Bloomberg will decide if mandatory evacuations are necessary for low-lying areas. It is amazing how the mayor, who has a seat on the board of the MTA, didn't even consider how people would evacuate if mass transit is suspended at the time he orders people to evacuate. He himself said that if people don't leave as they might be ordered to do, the worst that can happen to them is that they'll die. So why take away the means of their survival?

The point of my mentioning this is if any of you lives in such a low lying area or have friends and family who do, leave today.

Originally Posted by dstan
Thanks for that link Analise - the nyc.gov Hurricane Evacuation Zone Finder does not seem to be working.
You're welcome. The politicians are telling people to look up their zone online yet aren't able to deliver that info? I just knew that another website would have it. We're on the border of a flood zone. It's one block away. Good title change by the way!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Thanks for that link as well! One block from zone B here as well. Good thing I'm planning on leaving the state for the weekend, haha. Although, driving back on Monday should be interesting.

Scheduled to fly out on Tues morning from LGA - how crazy/off-schedule do we think the airlines will be by then?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Analise
The WSJ is reporting that if MTA shuts down, it will begin to do so SATURDAY morning, the time when Bloomberg will decide if mandatory evacuations are necessary for low-lying areas. It is amazing how the mayor, who has a seat on the board of the MTA, didn't even consider how people would evacuate if mass transit is suspended at the time he orders people to evacuate. He himself said that if people don't leave as they might be ordered to do, the worst that can happen to them is that they'll die. So why take away the means of their survival?

The point of my mentioning this is if any of you lives in such a low lying area or have friends and family who do, leave today.

You're welcome. The politicians are telling people to look up their zone online yet aren't able to deliver that info? I just knew that another website would have it. We're on the border of a flood zone. It's one block away. Good title change by the way!
Your are right about the Saturday morning shutdown. Possibly, the MTA would start a slow phase out which would go through midnight or early Sunday AM starting with certain less used bus and subway lines on the weekend. This would allow people that need to work on Saturday get to work and home albeit it may take them longer or on different routes. But then again this is the MTA (which of course the city has no control over.)

I am due to arrive back into LGA Saturday night at 10:30PM. So far my AA flight from DFW shows going. Assuming I make it back the taxi lines will be a horror at LGA if there is no public transportation available.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:20 am

I'd like to think that if your flight isn't cancelled that the MTA service won't be cancelled either. Wishful thinking perhaps.

To be the on the safe side (as that taxi line will be enormous as you said), why not arrange for car service. Just a thought.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:56 am

We live in zone B, a block from the edge of zone A, on the 38th floor. We're taking a little weekend trip to a friend's place in Brooklyn outside of any evacuation zone.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:23 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I tried the links in posts #1 and #2 (I'm using google's CHROME), and they didn't seem to work; but http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/index.htm did. I'm in zone C, one block from "NO ZONE".
PS: I've noticed (but never gave it much thought, until now) that one of the areas one evacuates to is YORK COLLEGE in Jamaica--I know the campus, but wonder how many people do they think that campus can hold?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think CLT will be closed on saturday, so nyc activity is moot.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
If http://nyc.gov/oem or http://nyc.gov/hurricanezones don't work (overloaded they say), try

http://embed.docstoc.com/docs/docume...oc_id=92033780

or

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dai...e-are-you-in-0

I live in No Zone.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Aug 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
Hurricane only has one i.
would that be the 'eye' of the hurricane?

thought I would provide a link for Hurricane Irene's path
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4...large#contents

I noticed I am in Zone C (UES), but more concerned about the big hole on 2nd avenue known as the oft delayed soon-to-be 2nd Ave subway line -- if there is severe flooding, that is going to be a huge pool!!!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:45 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
AA just started cancelling out it's Sun ORD-LGA schedule into NYC, thru at least Sun evening. Mon and Tues flights are largely zeroed out.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bloomberg on TV now: Mandatory evacuation for the Rockaways, subway shuts down tomorrow at noon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.