Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2011: Avoiding the crowds

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Fall 2011: Avoiding the crowds

I am trying to time my next trip to the city for Fall 2011 so that I avoid weeks of massive events like fashion week or the U.N. General Assembly. At this point I am thinking mid-October. Anyone know if there are any particular days to avoid?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:57 am

Just check hotel rates and pick a cheaper week. Aside from hotel costs, big events like Fashion Week and the UN GA don't really have much of an effect on how crowded the city is.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by phlashba
I am trying to time my next trip to the city for Fall 2011 so that I avoid weeks of massive events like fashion week or the U.N. General Assembly. At this point I am thinking mid-October. Anyone know if there are any particular days to avoid?
Stay away from the Times Square area. Columbus Day and Halloween weekends will likely be busier but October is a popular time with NYC as the weather is generally warm but not at all hot. I would suggest looking at hotels south of 34 street but above SoHo.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

October is a wonderful month to be here. After Columbus Day but before the marathon should be great.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I lived in the city for many years so many I should have phrased my question differently. The problem seems to be that every time I'm in town, somebody says ---- "Oh, didn't you know this was _____ week? That's why you cant find a _____."
It would be nice if there were some kind of master calendar listing the major events so that I could plan accordingly.

Interesting comment about Halloween though; it never would have occurred to me that it had any impact whatsoever.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After the marathon but before Thanksgiving also could be good.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:21 am

I'm going the week before Thanksgiving. Seeing some really great hotel rates just before the Thanksgiving holiday. In some cases 50%-60% less for the Sunday-Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.