Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Options for working on long layover at JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR

I have booked a flight to Asia (in Y) that leaves out of terminal 7 at JFK just after midnight. Due to the fact that I'm using BA miles for the flight, I need to 1) purchase a separate positioning flight to JFK, and 2) allow lots of extra time for possible travel delays (travel is in the winter) since BA does not allow any changes within 24 hours of the departure time. I'm purchasing travel insurance with trip interruption coverage that provides some coverage if there is a 12 hour delay (weather, mechanical, etc). So, the bottom line is that I expect to have about a 12 hour layover at JFK. I would like to have the option of working at least part of the time, so I need wifi and electrical outlets, and I prefer somewhere quieter.

I am leaning towards a positioning flight to JFK on JetBlue (terminal 5 arrival). I understand this terminal is pretty nice with free wifi and decent food/shopping options. I also understand that JetBlue does not have an interline agreement with the carrier I am flying internationally, so I will need to claim my luggage at Jetblue, which means that I will have to exit the secure area, and it did not seem like the area outside security at terminal 5 would offer much in terms of a good place to work with some food options.

Is my understanding above about terminal 5 logistics correct? If not, where would be good places to pick up wifi and work in terminal 5 after claiming my luggage?

I don't have access to any lounges based on my airline status (none) or class of service (Y). I am willing to pay for a day pass for lounge access, but given that I am limited to visiting lounges in terminal 7 and landside (pre-security) lounges in other terminals, and that many lounges do not sell day passes, it seems like my options are limited to:

- The Lounge (landside at terminal 4): Pay $40 for four hours + $10/additional hour

- The United RCC (in terminal 7): Pay $39 or $50 for day pass

I was hoping to get some feedback from others more familiar with JFK options about the following questions in particular:

1) Am I correct in assuming (if I fly into terminal 5 or 7), that I only will be able to access "The Lounge" (landside in terminal 4) and/or the United RCC in terminal 7?

1a) I'm pretty sure I can't access other landside lounges in terminal
4 (i.e., the Oasis Lounge or the Swiss lounge) without any status, club/lounge membership, or Priority Pass - correct?

1b) Am I correct that there are not any landside lounges in other terminals (besides terminal 4) that I could access by purchasing a day pass?

1c) Am I correct that the RCC is the only lounge in terminal 7 available via daypass purchase to someone in my situation?

2) Assuming that my lounge choices are between the Lounge in T4 or the United RCC in T7, do you have any feedback on the tentative pros and cons I identified with each option and/or other thoughts about the two?

- The Lounge: Expensive for longer visits, probably better food v RCC, different terminal than my international flight

- RCC: In same terminal as international flight, closes at 8:30 pm, limited food options

3) Any recommendations for a reasonably priced but decent hotel option for a hotel day use room and/or a hotel with a restaurant/lobby area where I could spend a few hours?

4) Are there other options I should consider but did not mention?

Thanks in advance for reading this very long post and for any advice!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Wow, lots of questions! I'm a little surprised that B6 and BA do not have an interline agreement, particularly given B6's recent alliance with AA, a BA partner. I think you should double check your info.

Where are you originating from? If from the DC area, consider flying AA to JFK. They certainly interline with BA, and you could purchase a day pass (which includes wifi) to use the AA lounge at JFK upon arrival without exiting the secure area.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:17 am

Moreover, if you are originating from DC, why not just take Amtrak to NYC? You can then take the Long Island Railroad directly from NY Penn Station to Jamaica, then the Airtrain to JFK from there. Those are all very easy transfers to make.

I think the train should give you enough comfort to budget far less than a 12 hour layover. If the train is delayed for hours, it's either because of a freak Amtrak problem (5% likelihood) or bad weather (95% likelihood), in which case your flight to Asia probably isn't leaving anyway.

You can use the money you would have spent on a lounge to upgrade to first class on Acela, which will give you plenty of room to work, free food, and all the alcohol you need to dull the pain of your long flight in Y.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
Wow, lots of questions! I'm a little surprised that B6 and BA do not have an interline agreement, particularly given B6's recent alliance with AA, a BA partner. I think you should double check your info.
There is not an interline agreement between B6 and BA. B6 only has a dozen or so right now with other carriers.
Originally Posted by needtoescape
I am leaning towards a positioning flight to JFK on JetBlue (terminal 5 arrival). I understand this terminal is pretty nice with free wifi and decent food/shopping options. I also understand that JetBlue does not have an interline agreement with the carrier I am flying internationally, so I will need to claim my luggage at Jetblue, which means that I will have to exit the secure area, and it did not seem like the area outside security at terminal 5 would offer much in terms of a good place to work with some food options.

Is my understanding above about terminal 5 logistics correct? If not, where would be good places to pick up wifi and work in terminal 5 after claiming my luggage?
Yes, your understanding is more or less correct. I love T5 but it is not a quiet place to work. There is free WiFi and it is a relatively nice terminal as airports go, with good food options and a nice vibe to it. But definitely not a quiet place to work.

Outside security the WiFi is still free but there are precious few seats/plugs available for passengers.

In short, I'd probably avoid T5 as your "lounge" plan.

1) Am I correct in assuming (if I fly into terminal 5 or 7), that I only will be able to access "The Lounge" (landside in terminal 4) and/or the United RCC in terminal 7?
I believe you can also buy in to the Oasis but maybe not. Other than that I believe that you have identified the options you have correctly.

2) Assuming that my lounge choices are between the Lounge in T4 or the United RCC in T7, do you have any feedback on the tentative pros and cons I identified with each option and/or other thoughts about the two?
The RCC can be a sauna when the weather is warm and there aren't many decent food options inside. Technically it is a single visit pass that you are buying so if you chose to wander around in the terminal you'd have to buy in a second time, though odds are that the agents would overlook this.

I'd also consider that if you have to check bags then you need the BA counters to be open and accepting bags for your flight. If they are not then you'll not get into T7 anyways as you'll still have your bags so the UA RCC won't be an option anyways.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions; I'm adding some clarifications and follow-up questions below

Originally Posted by Blumie
Where are you originating from? If from the DC area, consider flying AA to JFK. They certainly interline with BA, and you could purchase a day pass (which includes wifi) to use the AA lounge at JFK upon arrival without exiting the secure area.
Yes, I'm originating in the DC area. AA is an option, but the price is much better with JetBlue, and I'm kind of interested in trying B6 because I know a lot of people who love this airline.

Do people think the AA lounge is much nicer than the UA lounge? How about AA v UA v "The Lounge"?

Originally Posted by blort
Moreover, if you are originating from DC, why not just take Amtrak to NYC? You can then take the Long Island Railroad directly from NY Penn Station to Jamaica, then the Airtrain to JFK from there. Those are all very easy transfers to make.

I think the train should give you enough comfort to budget far less than a 12 hour layover. If the train is delayed for hours, it's either because of a freak Amtrak problem (5% likelihood) or bad weather (95% likelihood), in which case your flight to Asia probably isn't leaving anyway.
The train is my backup plan if flights are cancelled but Amtrak still is running; it just seems like a lot more hassle to take multiple trains than flying, in terms of managing my connections among three trains and dragging my luggage around (I do not travel light).

Originally Posted by sbm12
There is not an interline agreement between B6 and BA. B6 only has a dozen or so right now with other carriers.
Yes, your understanding is more or less correct. I love T5 but it is not a quiet place to work. There is free WiFi and it is a relatively nice terminal as airports go, with good food options and a nice vibe to it. But definitely not a quiet place to work.

Outside security the WiFi is still free but there are precious few seats/plugs available for passengers.

In short, I'd probably avoid T5 as your "lounge" plan.

I believe you can also buy in to the Oasis but maybe not. Other than that I believe that you have identified the options you have correctly.

The RCC can be a sauna when the weather is warm and there aren't many decent food options inside. Technically it is a single visit pass that you are buying so if you chose to wander around in the terminal you'd have to buy in a second time, though odds are that the agents would overlook this.

I'd also consider that if you have to check bags then you need the BA counters to be open and accepting bags for your flight. If they are not then you'll not get into T7 anyways as you'll still have your bags so the UA RCC won't be an option anyways.
Thanks for all the detailed information and for confirming some of my research. Just to clarify, I'm flying on CX but booked with the BA one partner award. It probably doesn't make a difference since BA and CX share a terminal, and it appears that BA personnel even do check-in for some CX flights. Is there a separate CX ticketing counter, or is that shared with BA?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is there a separate CX ticketing counter, or is that shared with BA?
I've never checked in with CX there but I'm betting it is a separately designated/branded counter.

As for which lounges are nicer, AA is definitely nicer that UA. Oasis has better free food than AA but it is also a bit darker inside and more about a comfortable place to lounge than somewhere to sit and work IMO. Never been in The Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.