Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traffic Leaving NYC on a Friday evening

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Traffic Leaving NYC on a Friday evening

We are headed from the Boston area to see relatives in Middletown, NJ. We are going to stay overnight at a friend's house in CT, then want to spend the day in NYC before arriving in NJ in the evening. We want to take the kids to the Intrepid museum (and other stuff). Since we are passing through we are thinking of driving in and parking by the museum, but I'm concerned about traffic leaving Manhattan on a Friday evening.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how late I would have to leave to avoid the worst of it? The museum is not far from the lincoln tunnel, would that be a mistake to try to go that way? Any suggestions on how to manage it?

Edited to add: I'm talking about this friday, so we would be dealing with summer friday traffic.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Traffic will be bad, throughout the day. The Intrepid is less than 10 blocks from the tunnel, it could be quick, or it could take up to an hour to get through depending on conditions. I would guess on average 30-45min wait to cross after 4pm.

Did you consider parking in NJ and taking the ferry across? NY Waterway has service between Port Imperial / Weehawken and Midtown / 39th Street, which is seven blocks from the Intrepid. Parking at Port Imperial is $10/day. Traffic on the NJ side should be less aggravating than Manhattan, plus you'll get nice views on the ferry.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperi...nTerminal.aspx

If there are multiple adults another option might be to drop off the museum goers at the Intrepid, with the driver meeting them later in Belford NJ, which is a few miles from Middletown, and has NY Waterway service from Midtown / 39th Street.

http://www.nywaterway.com/BelfordHarborWayTerminal.aspx

Last edited by nycflyer; Jun 22, 2011 at 3:58 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:59 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cb2020
We are headed from the Boston area to see relatives in Middletown, NJ. We are going to stay overnight at a friend's house in CT, then want to spend the day in NYC before arriving in NJ in the evening. We want to take the kids to the Intrepid museum (and other stuff). Since we are passing through we are thinking of driving in and parking by the museum, but I'm concerned about traffic leaving Manhattan on a Friday evening.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how late I would have to leave to avoid the worst of it? The museum is not far from the lincoln tunnel, would that be a mistake to try to go that way? Any suggestions on how to manage it?

Edited to add: I'm talking about this friday, so we would be dealing with summer friday traffic.
Traffic on Friday into the Lincoln Tunnel can be very heavy until around 8 pm. You might look at www.wcbs880.com (the all news station's web site) on a few Fridays and check the traffic reports. Generally, the 11th Ave. approach (as opposed to 9th Ave.) to the LT has fewer delays.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
From my days of schleping out to Fire Island on Fridays. Now in summer, the rush hour tends to be really bad from 3PM-7PM and begins to taper off quickly as commuters in summer time want to get home early. I would say that anytime after 7:30PM-8PM you should be ok. Stay in Manhattan and have an early dinner then leave the city.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I was looking at NY Waterway, my biggest problem with going to belford and taking hte ferry from there is it appears the last one leaves at 9:30am (until the afternoon), so to get there where we are in Connecticut we would have to leave extremely early and still might hit traffic going around NYC and still might end up missing it.

I will look into one of the closer NY waterway ferries though, if the main problem is literally just getting over the hudson, then that would work, if there is enough parking at the ferry terminal.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
I went out of NYC on a friday night in dec. 2009 at about 9 or 10pm and it was a lot of traffic in town. The tunnel was ok.

Visited MoMA (parking round the corner) and had some dinner after.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:30 am
Original Poster

So I have another question then, does anyone know if the parking at the lincoln harbor/weehawken ferry terminal is plentiful or does it fill up to capacity? If its a big commuter ferry I could see this being a problem, all the lots around the commuter trains into boston often are full by 9-10am.

And if we were going to weehawken, in the morning, would you recommend still going up and around by the Tappanzee bridge (our usual route) rather than the GW bridge, or would it not be worth going that far around to avoid the traffic on the highway through bronx and on the gw bridge?

Last edited by cb2020; Jun 22, 2011 at 6:41 am
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Traffic will be bad, but parking in NJ and riding the ferry back and forth will almost certainly take longer than sitting in traffic (although it will be more pleasant!).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Traffic will be bad, but parking in NJ and riding the ferry back and forth will almost certainly take longer than sitting in traffic (although it will be more pleasant!).
It's only a 6 minute boat ride, I've read on here that you can wait sometimes hours just to get into the lincoln tunnel on a friday night
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's only a 6 minute boat ride, I've read on here that you can wait sometimes hours just to get into the lincoln tunnel on a friday night
It may be a 6-minute boat ride, but you have to drive there first and wait for the boat (in both directions). I'd bet that the entire process would take longer than just driving. (Except in the most extreme cases, it does not take "hours just to get into the lincoln tunnel on a friday night." It can take a frustratingly long time, but not hours.)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
It may be a 6-minute boat ride, but you have to drive there first and wait for the boat (in both directions). I'd bet that the entire process would take longer than just driving. (Except in the most extreme cases, it does not take "hours just to get into the lincoln tunnel on a friday night." It can take a frustratingly long time, but not hours.)
P.S. I'll let the NJ experts opine on whether you might be better off taking the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the Verrazano Bridge to the Outerbridge Crossing instead of taking the Lincoln Tunner.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
So I have another question then, does anyone know if the parking at the lincoln harbor/weehawken ferry terminal is plentiful or does it fill up to capacity? If its a big commuter ferry I could see this being a problem, all the lots around the commuter trains into boston often are full by 9-10am.

And if we were going to weehawken, in the morning, would you recommend still going up and around by the Tappanzee bridge (our usual route) rather than the GW bridge, or would it not be worth going that far around to avoid the traffic on the highway through bronx and on the gw bridge?

i live in jersey city and i drive every other week back and forth to new england, so i can tell you from my own experience, i would DEFINITELY park in weekhawken (if you are still going to the intrepid) and take the ferry back and forth. regarding the parking lots - there are many - they have really built the place up, so there are now parking lots across the street and all along the river - no worries there.

and yes, still plan on taking the tappen zee vs. the GWB!! i regret every time i give in to temptation to take the GWB....
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Friday night.

Stay in Manhattan and leave Saturday morning.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Leave around 11pm. Of course the Intrepid will have closed long before then but you could go out for dinner and/or perhaps see a play. Your kids will LOVE Manhattan at night assuming they aren't 5 years old!

Otherwise, stay the night and leave early Saturday morning and I mean EARLY.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Park at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. $28 for 12 hours is not bad for the area, it is not far from the Intrepid, and gives the easiest access to the Lincoln Tunnel in the evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.