Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If I understand correctly, the fee must be paid with a MetroCard. Can I use the same MetroCard to pay for multiple people?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Up to 4 people per mertrocard last I checked.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent, thanks!

Other question would be what would likely be a faster/easier connection - taking the subway to WTC to connect to PATH (and is A or E preferable) or LIRR to Penn Station to connect to NJ Transit? (PATH and NJT can both work equally well, so it's more of which connection to get there is the better option)
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You haven't said where you're going but LIRR via NYP will be faster. Also more expensive.

Assuming the trains are running on normal schedules A to WTC is ~5 minutes faster than E.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, thanks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:57 pm

Asking on behalf of friends who are intending to fly into JFK on SQ26 on Apr 24 (ETA 1110 - presumably arriving T4?). They have visa waiver for the US, but neither of them have been to the US before, so I'm assuming that they can't use the immigration kiosk on arrival.
They have plans to fly to MCO from JFK after arrival (separate tickets) and they will have check in baggage.

Is it feasible for them to make it to either AA2704 (ETD 1550) or DL572 (ETD 1558)? Or is it safer to go with B6 883 (ETD 1638)?
Are transfer counters available after baggage collection/customs so that they can recheck the bags immediately? Or would they need to drag their bags on the AirTrain to the appropriate onward terminal and check the bags in there?

I haven't personally done an immediate transfer at JFK before, so I'm hoping some of you would be able to offer some advice re: this! Thanks!

Last edited by flyingbubbles; Dec 28, 2018 at 8:57 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:05 pm

It is generally advised to leave at least 3 hours to make an international transfer. They will, as you correctly assumed have to see a customs official, not a kiosk. Personally, I would probably take the 1558 flight.

You indicate they are on two separate tickets. They are not transferring anything, so they will need to take their bags and check in. The transfer desks are for people on one ticket with a change of aircraft in the US. Delta leaves from both terminal 2 and terminal 4. If they are lucky, it will be T4. They would have to take their luggage upstairs, check it in and then go through TSA security. I think ( maybe go to the Delta forum and verify) that even if they are flying out of T2 they could theoretically check their bag in at T4 and then take a jitney shuttle ( Delta only) AFTER security from T4 to T2. Personally, if they are going out of T2, I'd bring my luggage there. --less chance of it going on its own journey!

They do not need to drag bags onto air train. If they rent a luggage cart, they can take the cart to the air train. (use elevator) and take the cart ON the air train to T2.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:14 am

Thank you very much, @awayIgo!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:06 pm

I will be arriving from LHR on the BA113 arriving into JFK T7 on a Thursday evening at 1915.

I need to get to CHS, ideally on the Thursday evening. There are two flights from JFK to CHS that evening.

One at 2044 with Delta (don't know which terminal), and the other with JetBlue at 2059 (T5).

As a US citizen travelling with carry-on luggage only (with no TSA Pre), is it likely that I can make either of these?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by shadowline
I will be arriving from LHR on the BA113 arriving into JFK T7 on a Thursday evening at 1915.

I need to get to CHS, ideally on the Thursday evening. There are two flights from JFK to CHS that evening.

One at 2044 with Delta (don't know which terminal), and the other with JetBlue at 2059 (T5).

As a US citizen travelling with carry-on luggage only (with no TSA Pre), is it likely that I can make either of these?
Hi,

Do you have Global Entry or expidited entry into the US?

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Regards

TBS
If the OP has no TSA Pre, then the educated assumption is the OP has no GE. GE comes with complementary Pre.

OP, BA will arrive in T7, while DL will leave in either T2 or T4, B6 will leave in T5. I would recommend booking the later flight with B6 to give us a few extra minutes. When you clear immigration and customs and are at landside at T7, look for airtrain sign. Make sure to take the on that circles around terminal. Do not take the one that goes to federal circle, Jamaica or Howard beach.

Also, are there AA flight to CHS, can you get them on one ticket with your BA flight? AA is also in a different terminal (8), and you need to transfer landside via airtrain.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Neither - willing to sign up for either but I won't be in the USA before this trip (based in London). My understanding is that I can't complete registration without an interview in the US?

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Also, are there AA flight to CHS, can you get them on one ticket with your BA flight? AA is also in a different terminal (8), and you need to transfer landside via airtrain.
Thanks for the pointer - if this happens then there will be a lot of jogging around JFK, knowing where I'm going will save a few seconds. Will a taxi/uber/car from T7 to T2/4/5 save any time?

I was hoping to take the DL flight as I'll be able to use points for it, rather than an expensive B6 flight, but if the 15 minute difference might be make-or-break, then I'll do what needs to be done.

BA flight is already booked, and there aren't any JFK-CHS flights after 1915 other than DL and B6 that Thursday, so that's a no-go unfortunately.

Trying to save myself an unnecessary overnight in NYC...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Will a taxi/uber/car from T7 to T2/4/5 save any time?
Taxi, maybe, if the queue isn't too long. There is generally a few minutes wait for Uber, at least.

Since you are HBO (handbag only), connecting the inter-terminal AirTrain is relatively easy, and the interval between each train is quick.

Honestly, assuming your BA flight arrives on time, and you are not stuck behind a long line at immigration/customs (you shouldn't - T7 is not particularly busy at that time of the day), you would be fine with going with DL. Of course, you know your walking pace and navigating through airport terminals better than anyone.

Edit: forgot to mention, as a US citizen, you don't have to fill out the blue form anymore. You can queue and complete your entry info at the machine (though not the GE kiosks). There will be someone in the arrival area to direct you to the right place. Look for the US citizens area.

Good luck!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Neither - willing to sign up for either but I won't be in the USA before this trip (based in London). My understanding is that I can't complete registration without an interview in the US?
The past couple of years they have offered for a limited time interviews at the US Embassy in London. LAst yeas was March - May but I've not seen anything for this year.

Once you have conditional approval you can also see if you have do the interview on entry but that would eat into your time at T7. You can also pre arrange interviews in the US but that depends on their being availability when you are there.

Also at the moment there are significant delays in even getting conditional approval
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:20 am

The Airtrain that just does the terminals travels in terminal reverse order so T5 is only the next stop from T7 (no T6) if you end up at T8 you've gone the wrong way and should get off. T4 would be after T5 and T2 after that (no T3).
It's a slight walk from Airtrain to the terminal with moving sidewalks at T5 then down an escalator to departures.
B6 does sell Even More Speed an expedited security lane to get you to TSA document checker faster then you enter the general queue for the scanners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.