What time should I arrive at HPN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time should I arrive at HPN?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by stravels
How long should I allow to get through security for a 6:00 am flight on a Tuesday?

Anyone know of a reliable website to find out what time airline counters open and what the peak times are/how long it will take to clear tsa? Found out the hard way that the united website is not reliable, and rather than edit the website the response from united customer support was that they would inform the station manager that they should be open earlier. There was no reason to open earlier as there was no line
Full disclosure - I always prefer to be airside as early as possible (within reason), but I would say you should get to HPN no later than 5:15 am if you have your boarding pass in hand and don't have to check any luggage. If you need to stop at the ticket counter for any reason, I'd be there by 5 am. HPN is notorious for being a zoo at the peak departure hours, and the "morning rush" is one of those periods. Several airlines have departures within 15 minutes of one another and the waiting area (it's not fair to call them gates) can be packed. The security lines can also snake back into the baggage claim area and can take 10 minutes to clear. The waiting area stinks, but you're better off getting airside and grabbing a seat to wait for your departure rather than trying to show up last-minute and race through the ticket counter/security lines and dashing to your plane.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:43 pm

Sunday afternoon?

What the recommendation for Sunday afternoons at HPN? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by DrRumack
What the recommendation for Sunday afternoons at HPN? Thanks.
Overall, my recommendation wouldn't change. Security can still be a bit of a zoo at HPN and they generally still bunch up the departures so the security and waiting areas get congested. I'd get to the airport an hour before your flight, maybe even a few minutes earlier if you're checking bags. And there's construction where the old rental car lot used to be. The rental car lot has been moved to 240 Airport Rd., which is actually a little bit before the commercial terminal, so if you're returning a car, leave a couple of extra minutes for that. Watch carefully for the signs.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
More than an hour before at HPN if checking bags?!? How conservative are you?

25 minutes before the flight if checked-in and no bags. 35-40 if bags.

Yes, security can be unfortunate. But they call people up for flights that are leaving.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
More than an hour before at HPN if checking bags?!? How conservative are you?

25 minutes before the flight if checked-in and no bags. 35-40 if bags.

Yes, security can be unfortunate. But they call people up for flights that are leaving.
Conservative enough that I don't leave getting on my plane up to the kindness of gate agents or TSA. I've seen the security line wrap around the baggage claim area a time or two and then extend on back towards the ticket counters.

Get there 25 minutes before the flight and you're rolling the dice. But to each his own.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:38 am

Bumping. 6:00 a.m. AA flight on a Tuesday morning.

No bag to check. Unfortunately, have often NOT been getting PreCheck despite having Global trusted traveller.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
Bumping. 6:00 a.m. AA flight on a Tuesday morning.

No bag to check. Unfortunately, have often NOT been getting PreCheck despite having Global trusted traveller.
You're probably doing something wrong with how you enter your info.

I'd personally arrive at 5.30 but a touch aggressive. 5.15 would be pretty conservative.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I've never seen a line longer than 20 minutes. During holiday travel, YMMV (your mileage may vary).
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Is there precheck at HPN?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:12 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

You can check the hours for HPN Precheck at the link above.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Yes. There's precheck. It's open early.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.