Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Would it be purely speculative to assume that the payment might be applicable for US-resident members only?

It would be difficult, but perhaps not impossible, to get a well rated tip for something which doesn't apply to US carriers.
You are correct. The Top Flyer program is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by IBAngel
The Top Flyer program is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older.
This sounds more like a contest now limited to a specific target group and not a quest to elicit the best travel tips from across FT. Besides not letting our members from outside the U.S. participate, you're not letting our U.S. members under 21 participate at all. Are their travel tips not as valuable as mine (I do meet the requirements for the target group)?

FlyerTalk is, and always has been, since Randy Petersen founded it, about inclusion, not exclusion. Everyone is welcome to FT events and on the forums of FlyerTalk.

That will not be welcome news to a sizable group of FT members. One of our New Zealand members is the most-traveled persons I've ever met on FT. He will not be allowed to participate.

Well, at least he can still contribute to FlyerTalk as long as you're not placing similar restrictions there.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
The Top Flyer program is open to.... who are 21 years of age or older.
Do you know you already effectively exclude lucky9876coins, one of our savvy & expert FTers by this age cutoff "restriction?"

ps. I have no idea if lucky9876coins had or would volunteer(ed) to be a beta tester or not....

Last edited by lin821; Nov 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tom911
This sounds more like a contest now limited to a specific target group and not a quest to elicit the best travel tips from across FT. Besides not letting our members from outside the U.S. participate, you're not letting our U.S. members under 21 participate at all. Are their travel tips not as valuable as mine (I do meet the requirements for the target group)?

FlyerTalk is, and always has been, since Randy Petersen founded it, about inclusion, not exclusion. Everyone is welcome to FT events and on the forums of FlyerTalk.

That will not be welcome news to a sizable group of FT members. One of our New Zealand members is the most-traveled persons I've ever met on FT. He will not be allowed to participate.

Well, at least he can still contribute to FlyerTalk as long as you're not placing similar restrictions there.
Well said Tom.

And a HUGE to IB for even suggesting this is something that's to benefit FTers when you exclude most from participating - or being eligible.

BTW IB, if you're throwing in exclusions & limitations such as has been mentioned, it does sound like it's more of a contest/sweeps, so I'm assuming if that's the case, you're checking to make sure you comply w/ all applicable US laws re: contests/sweeps. If not, attorney generals of states like to look into such things.

But the bottom line is - the way this was presented & is being touted at the top of FT is totally misleading. And you need to amend your stickey/post w/ that info.

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Is AMEX allowed to use/reuse (ie: advertising, it's own travel products) any posts in this Top Flyer thing?

OR anything we post on FlyerTalk for that matter? If so, can we "opt out"?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:10 am
No longer at Internet Brands

Programs: America Advantage
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Is AMEX allowed to use/reuse (ie: advertising, it's own travel products) any posts in this Top Flyer thing?

OR anything we post on FlyerTalk for that matter? If so, can we "opt out"?
Am/Ex is required to gain specific consent from the original creator to repost or publicize any piece of content.

brent
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by bconver
Am/Ex is required to gain specific consent from the original creator to repost or publicize any piece of content.
(emphasis mine)

Who is the original creator? Is the original creator the same as the original poster?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:54 pm

brent
Well this is sounding less & less like it's for the benefit of FTers & more to the benefit of Amex or IB.

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I wish that I could articulate why this makes me unhappy. It just does.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well this is sounding less & less like it's for the benefit of FTers & more to the benefit of Amex or IB.

Cheers.
Upsetting.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Anyone with concerns about dubious intentions may abstain from playing. Our intent is to offer a new method of sharing knowledge that some users might find engaging. For those who don't find it engaging, your Flyertalk experience should remain mostly unaffected.

I assure you that there is nothing nefarious going on.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:36 pm

And you're also assuring us that you're not allowing a # of FTers to participate in this thing (no int'l, must be 21+) that is to the 'benefit of all'.

It's not that it's not engaging - it's a bit of false pretenses (understatement).

So when you have something that's to the benefit of all & is open to all, you'll probably get people willing to open up & share. Oh wait we already have something like that - it's called Flyertalk. And no contests required to enter.

IB's post # 1 is misleading & needs to be updated to mention that FTers outside of the US & younger than 21 are not allowed to participate. While it's fine (not really) cuz this is beta, it needs to be made perfectly clear if this thing formally launches that it's only for a subset of FTers.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 23, 2010 at 5:43 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The Top Flyer program is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older.
I am considerably older than 21, but while I am an American citizen, I am neither a legal nor an illegal resident of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia.

Come to think of it, is it even legal to be a legal resident "of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia "? Don't you have to chose one of those 50 states or the district?

I did consider taking up residency in Alaska, but a guy named Tod refused to move out and allowing me to shack up with his wife, Sarah.

I can't understand his obstinacy -- after all, I offered to share the $25 gift card with him if I won.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Thank for the feedback on the gift card, I can't do too much about it immediately but I will take a hard look at it mid term.

brent
While I find the manner in which this program works to merely perpetuate the "good old boy club" which is as palpable here as it is at any mainstream american country club, I am a little surprised that you did not choose to rewards the FT member that made it to the top of the month's popularity contest with the most obvious token of appreciation... 10,000 - 20,000 miles/points in the program of the winners choice. I mean, a gift card is a nice neutral idea, but a $25 gift card doesn't even get close to "it's the thought that counts" territory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.