Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > New Features
Reload this Page >

Top Flyer will be launched tomorrow

Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

We are very excited to announce that the time has come. Top Flyer will officially be launched to the public tomorrow! You will start to see promotions throughout the FlyerTalk site for our Top Flyer program. Some of the promotions will include changes to some core pages such as the homepage and changes to the main navigation.

We look forward to seeing you in the game!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just curious. Did you address the concerns that were expressed in this thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-f...top-flyer.html

Cheers. Sharon
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by IBAngel
Fine print for our members under 21 or residing outside the U.S.:

The Top Flyer program is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Well if they were doing the right thing they wouldn't bury it in the fine print.

Again, sounds like a contest that benefits IB & Amex more than it benefits FTers.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Some of the promotions will include changes to some core pages such as the homepage and changes to the main navigation.

(emphasis mine)

Can you explain in more details what are the "changes to the main navigation" on FT, so FTers can provide on-the-point input, if you guys do value FTers' input?

You know we've seen enough technical hiccups from IB so far. sometimes it's hard to tell the differences between bugs and desired "improvement" since the IB Era on FT.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well if they were doing the right thing they wouldn't bury it in the fine print.
To clarify, there is no "fine print". All of the rules are openly listed on the "how to play" page which is easy to find from the home page of Top Flyer. If anyone is interested in reading all of the rules you are welcome to do so here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/topflyer/pages/how-to-play
http://www.flyertalk.com/topflyer/pa...and-conditions
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Can you explain in more details what are the "changes to the main navigation" on FT, so FTers can provide on-the-point input, if you guys do value FTers' input?
There will be two changes to the navigation. On the site navigation bar (on the top of the page) there will be a Top Flyer button to the right of Help. In the sub-navigation under Extras you will find a link to Top Flyer (It's the second option down).

There is also an RSS feed on the home page and banner ads throughout the site.

Last edited by IBAngel; Jan 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Isn't this a little embarrassing on a number of levels?

First, it provides a financial incentive to do what FTers already do for free.

Second, that financial incentive is pathetic. It suggests the "worth" of FTers is a $25 giftcard.

Third, the lawyers have excluded a sizable portion of the FT community from participating.

Yet another joke from the folks at IB.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
There will be two changes to the navigation. On the site navigation bar (on the top of the page) there will be a Top Flyer button to the right of Help.
Now I just saw that one.

Is it really necessary to have "Top Flyer button" THAT big on the top of the page? What's wrong to have it the same size as the other buttons on the site navigation bar, naming "Home", "Forums","Members", "Extra" & "Help?" Would a little consistency on FT bother IB/Amex that much?

If IB/Amex's intent is to make Top Flyer stand out, an eye-sore-type of way probably is not the best way to promote Top Flyer. A board-wide announcement probably will be a better and reasonable way to do it, IMHO.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Isn't this a little embarrassing on a number of levels?

Second, that financial incentive is pathetic. It suggests the "worth" of FTers is a $25 giftcard.

Third, the lawyers have excluded a sizable portion of the FT community from participating.
Agree.

Originally Posted by lin821
Now I just saw that one.

Is it really necessary to have "Top Flyer button" THAT big on the top of the page? What's wrong to have it the same size as the other buttons on the site navigation bar, naming "Home", "Forums","Members", "Extra" & "Help?" Would a little consistency on FT bother IB/Amex that much?

If IB/Amex's intent is to make Top Flyer stand out, an eye-sore-type of way probably is not the best way to promote Top Flyer. A board-wide announcement probably will be a better and reasonable way to do it, IMHO.
I literally burst out laughing when I saw the size of the Top Flyer button being so much larger than the other buttons on the navigation button. My first thought was a my er, font, is bigger than your font.

My 2nd (more probable one) thought was that they want to keep it large to draw more traffic there at least initially so they can count clicks & say it was a 'success' Especially for newbies who don't know any better, they'll see the buttons, see a larger one, especially w/ a name like Top Flyer & think that's where the important stuff is - vs where it's really occurring in the individual airline & hotel & travelbuzz forums.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Just saw it for the first time (the button and the page). "Bizarre" is the kindest description that comes to mind.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by vasantn
Just saw it for the first time (the button and the page). "Bizarre" is the kindest description that comes to mind.
"Amateur hour" is the kindest I came up with.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I am generally supportive of any initiative that improves the travel experiences of others. However, I am somewhat wary of the manner in which Top Flyer does this. I agree with the observations made by magiciansampras upthread and would add that the format appears to be similar to that of an old boys club, which could become frustrating for some. I shall eschew this new format and shall continue to post my observations and advice in the relevant Flyertalk forums. I anxiously await the expansion of the cloud and the introduction of web 3.0 which will undoubtedly integrate all that is wholesome about Flyertalk with appliances such as my mobile phone, sat-nav and toaster-oven.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't get it. Well, I do but I don't like it. Seems like FT has been quite successful for all these years, without needing to grease anyone's palms to share information. Feels like selling out. And I agree the fact the TopFlyer button is so much bigger than the regular FT links is really cheesy looking.

Assuming TF is wildly successful, then what? I now need to check BOTH places to try and find good tips? The more competitive-minded or greedy may just ignore FT and focus on TF. Hopefully none of that happens but then why re-invent the wheel?

Agree also that excluding <21 and international is very bad form, given the significant contributions of FTers in both of those categories.

However, seems like plenty of potential benefit for AMEX:

GRANT OF RIGHTS TO SUBMISSIONS: By making a Submission, each Participant agrees to grant Sponsor and its agents and designees (including American Express) an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual, nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, sublicensable, transferrable, unrestricted license to use, reproduce, store, archive, edit, modify, make derivative works of or based on, sublicense, display, disseminate, distribute, sell and otherwise exploit in any manner and for any purpose, the Submission (including all rights embodied therein) and any and all elements thereof, including but not limited to the names and likenesses of any persons or locations depicted therein, for any purpose, in, on or through any and all media, platforms, systems, devices, technologies, formats, business models or manner, now known or hereafter devised (including, without limitation, on Sponsor’s and its designees’ websites and applications), without compensation or notification to Participant or any third party and without any further permission from Participant or any third party.

GRANT OF PUBLICITY: Participation in the Program constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agents and designees to use a Participant’s name, biographical information, image, likeness and/or statements about the Program and Submissions for advertising, trade, promotional and other purposes in any and all media now or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law.
The above seems to contradict the answer to the following concern wrt the beta test: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15203583-post21.html
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras

To quote IB-Dick: “Our intent is to offer a new method of sharing knowledge that some members might find engaging. For those who don't find it engaging, your Flyertalk experience should remain mostly unaffected.”

Simply, Top Flyer was designed, and is intended to be a fun game. To clarify, the top 10 Top Flyer participants at the end of the month get a choice between 5,000 American Express Membership Rewards® bonus points OR a $25 American Express® Gift Card. We realize not all players have an American Express MR account so the $25 gift card is offered as a choice to those who win. If you find the prize to be "pathetic" you are welcome to abstain. A prize, monetary or other, never determines anyone’s worth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.