Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good/fun restaurant in BOS, dinner for 2, birthday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
From Hamersley's Bistro website:

Cake!: We love birthdays, and especially birthday cakes! Our pastry chef is happy to make you a personalized cake for the birthday, anniversary, or other special occasion being celebrated. Please give us at least 48 hours notice.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Oh cool Dan6681, I didn't see that on their web site, thanks!

Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations and double thanks for the after dinner recommendations. Will post how it all works out
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Since our trip was this past weekend, I figured I should share an update.

The Hilton actually ended up working out very well. I got a great rate on the room and on arrival we were upgraded to a suite. My gold amenity was waiting in the room and we were given vouchers for complimentary buffet breakfast the next morning in the cafe. We arrived in the early afternoon and then headed out to do some tourist-y things, since she had never been to Boston I figured this was a must. We arrived back at the room and were getting ready for dinner when there was a knock at the door. The hotel sent up a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries with a handwritten note signed by a half dozen or so staff members wishing my fiancée a happy birthday ^ When I made the reservation online, I made a note that we were celebrating a birthday and would hope for a room with a good view; obviously the staff took that a few steps further. The only problem was on Sunday morning we were awakened to noise - maybe some construction was going on. Sounded like banging. Mentioned it at checkout and they apologized profusely and comped my parking. I plan on writing a letter thanking the staff.

We then hopped a cab to Hamersley's for dinner arriving early to check out the bar. Bartender made a good dry martini (I think he just put the vermouth bottle a foot away from the shaker ) and we were seated shortly thereafter. We had a great corner table along the outside bench seating. Dinner, service and atmosphere were good ^

Following dinner we took a cab over the No. 9 Park for drinks. It was still pretty crowded with dinner when we arrived (maybe ~9:45 or so). We told the maitre d' that we were having drinks and were given a table in the lounge area. Ordered a round - the drinks were pretty good; however, it was like pulling teeth trying to get another drink. The tables on either side of us were having dinner and seemed to be getting fine service. Our waiter sucked (and the tip I then gave him reflected that). He didn't come over once to see if we needed anything (we were there over an hour), I had to flag someone else down to get a drink list - even the waitress at the table next to us asked if she could help us with anything since I had an empty glass in front of me for quite a while. I finally get the scotch list, decide rather quickly what I want, and again can't find the waiter. I was fed up at this point and we just paid the bill and left. I guess my final opinion is that the front staff (maitre d', coat check, bartenders) are very friendly and helpful but our waiter was just horrible.

Overall a good trip and we had fun. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:09 am

What about Dicks Last Resort?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by thelark
Since our trip was this past weekend, I figured I should share an update....
I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in Boston. Your experience at No. 9 is disappointing because their service normally is stellar.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend in Boston. Your experience at No. 9 is disappointing because their service normally is stellar.
I would give the place another shot as it really seemed like we just had bad luck with our waiter. Granted though, if I went back and he was serving us, I would ask for a change.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:19 pm

Sounds like an overall great weekend. I think my favorite post-dinner nightcap in Boston is the Owl Bar at the Fairmont Copley. A very unique room, live music most nights of the week, and a very good scotch list. Hope you will come back and visit again soon.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Very glad to hear that your weekend turned out mostly for the best! Kudos to the Hilton staff for going the extra mile to make your stay a memorable experience!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Sel de la Terre

Prior to opening Sel de la Terre in the spring of 2000, Chef/Partner Geoff Gardner spent eight years as the sous chef at Boston’s prestigious L’Espalier restaurant, where he immersed himself in the teachings of his mentor, L’Espalier’s Chef/Proprietor Frank McClelland. McClelland and Gardner envisioned the opening of a rustic French brasserie, where they could serve seasonal and locally grown Provençal-inspired cuisine in a casual setting and would sell the handmade breads that L’Espalier had become famous for under Gardner’s direction. They agreed the perfect first location would be the beautiful and ever-developing downtown waterfront area of Boston. In the spring of 2000, they realized their dream with the opening of Sel de la Terre. At the helm of Sel de la Terre’s kitchen, Chef Gardner always practices the service philosophy and cooking techniques, he learned working with Chef McClelland at L’Espalier. All which quickly helped Sel de la Terre become one of Boston’s most highly-acclaimed restaurants and to earn such impressive accolades as “Best French Restaurant” by Boston Magazine in 2003 and 2004 and 100 Hottest Restaurants in the World by Condé Nast Traveler. In September 2007, Chefs McClelland and Gardner presented their slice of Provence to the suburbs, with the opening of a second Sel de la Terre in the brand new Natick Collection.

At Sel de la Terre, our concept is simple. We:
• offer approachable and affordable Southern France cuisine in a comfortable environment
• use only farm fresh produce and obtain our ingredients from local farmers whenever possible
• cook with seafood that is indigenous to New England
• serve only the highest quality meats available
• provide knowledgeable and professional, but entirely unpretentious service
• build strong relationships with our neighbors
• propose an adventurous, eclectic wine list without attitude
• make menus available throughout the day and evening
• bake and sell the best bread…period
• strive to “find an opportunity to improve at every moment” (Chef/Owner Frank McClelland)
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by mlgagne
Prior to opening Sel de la Terre in the spring of 2000, Chef/Partner Geoff Gardner spent eight years as the sous chef at Boston’s prestigious L’Espalier restaurant, where he immersed himself in the teachings of his mentor, L’Espalier’s Chef/Proprietor Frank McClelland. McClelland and Gardner envisioned the opening of a rustic French brasserie, where they could serve seasonal and locally grown Provençal-inspired cuisine in a casual setting and would sell the handmade breads that L’Espalier had become famous for under Gardner’s direction. They agreed the perfect first location would be the beautiful and ever-developing downtown waterfront area of Boston. In the spring of 2000, they realized their dream with the opening of Sel de la Terre. At the helm of Sel de la Terre’s kitchen, Chef Gardner always practices the service philosophy and cooking techniques, he learned working with Chef McClelland at L’Espalier. All which quickly helped Sel de la Terre become one of Boston’s most highly-acclaimed restaurants and to earn such impressive accolades as “Best French Restaurant” by Boston Magazine in 2003 and 2004 and 100 Hottest Restaurants in the World by Condé Nast Traveler. In September 2007, Chefs McClelland and Gardner presented their slice of Provence to the suburbs, with the opening of a second Sel de la Terre in the brand new Natick Collection.

At Sel de la Terre, our concept is simple. We:
• offer approachable and affordable Southern France cuisine in a comfortable environment
• use only farm fresh produce and obtain our ingredients from local farmers whenever possible
• cook with seafood that is indigenous to New England
• serve only the highest quality meats available
• provide knowledgeable and professional, but entirely unpretentious service
• build strong relationships with our neighbors
• propose an adventurous, eclectic wine list without attitude
• make menus available throughout the day and evening
• bake and sell the best bread…period
• strive to “find an opportunity to improve at every moment” (Chef/Owner Frank McClelland)
I happen to like Sel de la Terre, but is there a reason that you cut-and-paste (without attribution) what I assume is their website into this thread?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Blumie
I happen to like Sel de la Terre
Really? All of my meals there have been exceedingly mediocre. Although I think I've only been for lunch.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Really? All of my meals there have been exceedingly mediocre. Although I think I've only been for lunch.
I prefer it for dinner. Nice wine list too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.