Cape Cod for a road trip this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I was looking at taking the family and kids (girls 7 and 12) down to Cape Cod for 4-6 days this summer. We would like to do some beach, sighseeing and relax and enjoy a nice vacation in the Mass costal area. I have been scouting out accomodation in Hyannis, Norwood and Orleans. Can someone please recommend something reasonable that I could take the family down to somewhere in the Cape? Also different activites would be appreciated as I have been down to Boston and Foxboro a few times but never in the Cape in the summer.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:45 pm

My husband's family has a house in Chatham, so I am overly biased towards that area of the Cape... I've been there at least a week every summer for the last nine years.

I wouldn't recommend Hyannis unless you're into schlock - it's the commercial area of the Cape. If you want chain restaurants and chain hotels, then that's your place but if you're looking for more character, other areas are better. I really like Orleans. It has the advantage of being in the middle of everything, a cute downtown, good restaurants, and great beaches - ocean, bay, and pond. I'm not familiar with Norwood. If Orleans is more your style - you might also look at Harwich.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Have been around the world and Orleans on the cape is my favorite vacation spot. I love Nausett Beach (Coast Guard Beach). It is also perfectly located for lots of fun day tripping....Plymouth, Provincetown, Out to the Islands, Whale Watching. Orleans has a great Drive in Movie (or at least did the last time I was there). You can do the beach on Nausett or on the bay side. It is just my favorite place on the planet
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I would second the Chatham area. Note that Chatham itself is pretty expensive, but the towns next-door and in the area are less so and still quite nice. Harwich and Brewster are quite good.

Chatham's charm really comes from its main street and town center. Lots of great restaurants, small hotels, etc. Harwich and Brewster have little main streets and town centers, but much smaller (but fewer people!).

Do be warned that when people say that the Cape is crowded, one of the places they have in mind if Chatham. But it is nice.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Thanks for the reply's please keep the info coming. I will definitely look into Chatham and Harwich? For those that have been do you do the motel thing or B and B?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by greenlotus
Thanks for the reply's please keep the info coming. I will definitely look into Chatham and Harwich? For those that have been do you do the motel thing or B and B?
B and B or rent a house, I'd say. If you're going to be there 6 days I'd highly recommend renting something. You'll have to act quick though as the summer rentals go quickly.

For hotels, in Chatham the Chatham Bars is quite nice. I've also heard good things about the Moorings B&B.

Harwich used to have a place called the Sea Heather Inn which was lovely. I think it might have been turned into condos or something though.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:55 am

Whenever I think of Cape Cod, I think of horrible traffic. Have you considered the "other" Cape in MA? Just a thought about Cape Ann.... http://www.capeannvacations.com/
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:38 am

The traffic situation is only bad if you're traveling at peak times - if you are off-peak you flow right through. The Sagamore rotary was eliminated last fall, so we'll see this summer how that improves the situation. Once you're on-Cape, traffic isn't usually too bad unless it rains - and then seemingly everyone gets into their cars and heads for Hyannis.

I agree that renting a house is the way to go if you're going to be there for a week with kids. If you're going the hotel route, Chatham Bars Inn is hard to beat, but you certainly pay for the privilege.

Having bikes is a great way to avoid the traffic problems in Chatham - you can bike to the beach, and avoid parking problems too.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:00 pm

Agreed that the traffic problem is overstated. Just don't go during peak times and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The peak time to go to the Cape is usually Saturday mornings, because one-week rentals traditionally start Saturday early afternoon and end late Saturday morning. (In between the owners and all the help they can round up are frantically cleaning and straightening.) The rest of the time it is often exaggerated by those who want to keep people away. Avoid that time and you should be fine, keeping in mind that Cape roads (with the exception of U.S. 6 as far as Orleans) were not designed for covering miles quickly.

Where's Norwood on the Cape, BTW? There's a town by that name about 10-15 miles south/southwest of Boston, but I don't know of one on the Cape.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Whenever I think of Cape Cod, I think of horrible traffic. Have you considered the "other" Cape in MA? Just a thought about Cape Ann.... http://www.capeannvacations.com/
Funny, when reading the thread my mind went immediately to the traffic there in the summer, which is in itself enough reason for me to stay away. I'll try Cape Ann myself next time.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. That Chatham Bars place looks very elegant. Probably a little more that I'm interested in spending however. The moorings B and B looks to have closed as of Jan 2006. Harwich looks like a good alternative to Chatham with lots of different accomodations there. Still doing the research!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by greenlotus
Thanks for the great info. That Chatham Bars place looks very elegant. Probably a little more that I'm interested in spending however. The moorings B and B looks to have closed as of Jan 2006. Harwich looks like a good alternative to Chatham with lots of different accomodations there. Still doing the research!
Don't forget Brewster.. it is quite lovely.

Harwich Port is where all the action is in Harwich. The Sea Grille in Harwich is a great place for dinner (www.capeseagrille.com). Go to Sundae School for ice cream afterwards.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:33 pm

Don't start me on the "best homemade ice cream on Cape Cod" debate...

I just got curious and looked up Norwood - it's a suburb of Boston, so you must be thinking of something else?

Yes, CBI is up there price-wise. For other Chatham hotels - my parents stayed at the Wayside Inn on Main St. in Chatham a couple of years ago and enjoyed it - it wasn't too pricey and it's in the middle of everything.

If you're interested in house rentals - here is the real estate agent my in-laws use to rent out their house in August:
http://www.webstersrealestate.com/index.cfm
The houses they rent tend to be a little more "rustic" - not 100% up-to-date and show house perfect. The trade-off is that they're more affordable. To rent directly from an owner, you can check out the classifieds on capecodchronicle.com
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Once again. All the local information is so greatly appreciated!

I will look into Brewster as well as another alternative!

Thanks fellas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.