Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS: Snow In December?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:22 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
BOS: Snow In December?

I've been to Boston a few times, and have always enjoyed it. But I don't think I've been before in December. This year, we are going to be going to Europe for Christmas, and will first travel to Boston for Dec. 18-21 before heading across the pond. I assume it will be cold, but does it normally snow in Boston in December? Or does that not usually happen until Jan or Feb?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Boston doesn't get as much snow as it can in January or February, but it can definitely snow in Boston in December.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:12 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We got about a foot of snow in mid December 2020, so you never know
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Hoc
I've been to Boston a few times, and have always enjoyed it. But I don't think I've been before in December. This year, we are going to be going to Europe for Christmas, and will first travel to Boston for Dec. 18-21 before heading across the pond. I assume it will be cold, but does it normally snow in Boston in December? Or does that not usually happen until Jan or Feb?
1. Take a look a at a decent weather site and look at historical averages/data.
2. This will be December in the northern latitudes - it will be cold and likely some snow whether BOS or most places in Europe.
3. Pack for warmth.
4. Answer anyway is: Global Warming (i.e. what ever the weather is/will be, it will get blamed).

David
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Hoc
yes snow occurs in mid december in Boston. They also have their shortest days then too of about 8.5 hrs of daylight

hard to forecast because as with all northeast storms you have a hard to predict rain -snow line.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DELee
Answer anyway is: Global Warming (i.e. what ever the weather is/will be, it will get blamed).
And whatever the cause, science deniers will deny it.
Yahtzee and truncated like this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:18 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
OK, thanks, everyone. I assumed that it would get cold, so I was packing layers. But I have no sense of balance, so if there is snow, I'll need some kind of snow boots to protect myself. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Hoc
OK, thanks, everyone. I assumed that it would get cold, so I was packing layers. But I have no sense of balance, so if there is snow, I'll need some kind of snow boots to protect myself. Thanks for the info.
It’s very unlikely you’ll need snow boots, and unless you’re packing now for your December trip you’ll be able to check the weather forecast before you travel. And even if it does snow, unless there is significant accumulation, sneakers more often than not will be fine. Businesses in the city are very accustomed to and adept at clearing snow from their sidewalks as quickly as it falls.

I was in town last month when there was a decent snowfall. While I was happy to be wearing boots (low cut boots, but not snow boots), I would have been fine wearing sneakers.

Last edited by Blumie; Mar 23, 2021 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Hoc
When in BOS, are you staying in town (urban) or suburbia? Either way, unless there's something akin to a Snowmaggedon, there's really no reason to pack snow boots specifically for BOS. If you need them for your destinations in Europe, then you'll have them anyway.

David
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
I remember growing up there the weather forecasters always said Boston had about a 25% change of a white Christmas in any given year. Most likely you won't get hit with a major snow storm but it's certainly possible. Downtown closer to the water gets more rain/sleet/mix than inland does in a lot of storms.

No need to pack a proper full on snow boot like Sorels, but a lower cut waterproof shoe/boot is very practical for New England winters. There's a reason LLBean boots are so popular around there, though that style isn't for everyone.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1) Always a chance of snow
2) Boston typically gets less snow than suburbs
3) Boston knows how to clear snow, so unless there's a huge amount it won't impair mobility and, as others say, won't require as much in the way of boots.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:26 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
sneakers more often than not will be fine..
I experienced my first snow in Spokane when I was about 20, and could not stand up straight, even with sneakers. Kept slipping and falling over while trying to stand on the sidewalk. It wasn't until I got snow boots that I was finally able to stand up. You have no idea how difficult standing in snow is if you have no sense of balance.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 7:28 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
If you need them for your destinations in Europe, then you'll have them anyway.
Well, we will have one night in London at the end of the trip, but other than that, we're going to be in Madrid and San Sebastian, so not needed there.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Boston doesn't get as much snow as it can in January or February, but it can definitely snow in Boston in December.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We got about a foot of snow in mid December 2020, so you never know
I clearly remember the first snow of the season when I was at BC for grad school in the early 90s took place on Veterans’ Day.
octr202 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.