Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best points hotel stays in New England

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Best points hotel stays in New England

We live just outside of NYC, and haven't traveled much in our area, usually opting for faraway places.
With travel restrictions, we can't go too far as due to nature of my work I can't quarantine at home... so we are trying to find more places to go in NY/New England.
And with no opportunity to redeem points on fligths, sitting on a massive 4M point stash that we'd like to use across different loyalty programs.

We generally prefer to stay in the countryside rather than large cities, but the only chain hotels we're finding there are of Holiday Inn/Hampton Inn/Courtyard variety.

Any nice hotels in NY/New England that are located in the countryside and can be redeemed for points?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:51 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
My first thought was Wentworth by the Sea in the Portsmouth, NH area, a Marriott property. Not exactly "countryside", but there just isn't much in the luxury department outside of the major metro areas in New England.

Not sure if your points options would allow for Omni hotels, but the Omni Mount Washington in New Hampshire is magnificent.

The Doubletree Bedford Glen in Bedford, MA is not TOO far in the countryside, but it's at least a very nice property in a very wooded area.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:09 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The Four Points in Eastham isn't fancy but it is really well located for the National Seashore and exploring the Outer Cape
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

thank you for your suggestions. OMNI has not been on my radar, but there are some benefits through AmEx Plat and GHA Gold, so thanks for your suggestions!
We generally tend to favor smaller hotels and would probably select Omni Bretton Arms over Mt Washington Resort.
Any boutique-style hotels that might be bookable on points? SLH/Hyatt partnership has given us a few options, looking for more.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Portland, Maine is a great destination and has a couple of very good Bonvoy options: The Press Hotel and the Westin Harborview.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by stevento
thank you for your suggestions. OMNI has not been on my radar, but there are some benefits through AmEx Plat and GHA Gold, so thanks for your suggestions!
We generally tend to favor smaller hotels and would probably select Omni Bretton Arms over Mt Washington Resort.
Any boutique-style hotels that might be bookable on points? SLH/Hyatt partnership has given us a few options, looking for more.
We have stayed at the Bretton Arms twice and at the Main property once, and did appreciate the quiet (and close parking) of the B.A. We took our meals at the main property, and it's a pretty walk up there through a wooded path.

There can be bears there (there were 2 sighted on our last visit), but I don't think they've lost any guests making that walk from lodging to lodging. Yet.
Jon Maiman likes this.

Last edited by Out of my Element; Sep 23, 2020 at 5:55 am Reason: fixed spelling
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
You're welcome. I've enjoyed all of my stays at Omni properties.

Another two that just came to mind were the Hilton Lake Placid and the Hotel Saranac which is a Curio Collection (Hilton) Hotel. Upstate NY has been rather crowed this season, so one of the two Omnis would be my first choice.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AMflier
You're welcome. I've enjoyed all of my stays at Omni properties.

Another two that just came to mind were the Hilton Lake Placid and the Hotel Saranac which is a Curio Collection (Hilton) Hotel. Upstate NY has been rather crowed this season, so one of the two Omnis would be my first choice.
We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Lake Placid thinking it would be a better choice than Hampton Inn. It wasn't bad, but you're right, very crowded in the town. Impossible to get dinner reservations - with hotels at 100% capacity, and restaurants at 25%, getting a table was a challenge.
Maybe we'll do Saranac next time.

thank you!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We have stayed at the Bretton Arms twice and at the Main property once, and did appreciate the quiet (and close parking) of the B.A. We took our meals at the main property, and it's a pretty walk up there through a wooded path.

There can be bears there (there were 2 sighted on our last visit), but I don't think they've lost any guests making that walk from lodging to lodging. Yet.
is there much to do in the area after foliage season is gone and the winter season not yet started?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:49 am

is there much to do in the area after foliage season is gone and the winter season not yet started?
Great hiking, outlet shopping (if you are in to that), amazing restaurants, the Cog Railway, Spas, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:45 pm

Yes to the above, hiking, photography, drives. It's just a pretty area even after the foliage is gone. There are general stores, at least one cider mill, covered bridges, waterfalls, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.