Wiki Posts
Search

Weather @ PWM in May

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Weather @ PWM in May

This is a bit of an open-ended inquiry, largely because I'm contemplating visiting either PWM (again) or BTV (again!) in a few months - but as I have not been to PWM in mid-May (I have been to Burlington, and it's workable, if potentially a bit on the cool side), I wanted to get more informed opinions. I have been here in late August (okay temperature but lots of rain) and late October (windy and on the colder side of cool).
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
This is a bit of an open-ended inquiry, largely because I'm contemplating visiting either PWM (again) or BTV (again!) in a few months - but as I have not been to PWM in mid-May (I have been to Burlington, and it's workable, if potentially a bit on the cool side), I wanted to get more informed opinions. I have been here in late August (okay temperature but lots of rain) and late October (windy and on the colder side of cool).
Mid-May is when Northern New England starts to become nice again. Speaking to Portland since I live nearby, that time of year is most likely to be in the 50's to low 60's during the day. Really, our weather is only barely predictable from June-October, and then from December-February. May is safe from snow, but most days won't be hitting 70 just yet.

Anyway, May's a great time to be up here because the tourists don't hit hard until school is out (mid-June), but all of the summer routine is starting - including seasonal businesses. The weather more likely than not will be nice.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What would peg probability of rain at? That's really the main (pun intended) thing I care about.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What would peg probability of rain at? That's really the main (pun intended) thing I care about.
Honestly, we don't have any dry months. You have a good shot at precipitation of some kind any month of the year. Fall is more rainy than spring, so I suppose relatively speaking May is a good time.

If you get a rainy day, spend it inside - lots of great restaurants in Portland, good beer, etc. Or have the right layers and get out in it anyway.

Personally, May is the month I'm next looking forward to. March and April are the only two months that I truly don't like here.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt/IHG DL/B6/WN/AA
Agree entirely with PWMTrav - May is a great month in Maine. The temps can be a little bit unpredictable but typically OK with a light jacket. Certainly a safe assumption it won't be much below 50 or much above 70 (though I've seen both happen on occasion).

As far as rain goes, it's very hard to say. I can remember years when it hardly rained at all, and years when I felt like I was inside all month long. For what it's worth, this has been a pretty light year for precipitation overall so there's some chance that trend could continue on through the spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.