Insane BOS Crazy Rental Car Prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insane BOS Crazy Rental Car Prices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Priceline has $15/day. Now we're talkin'!
Sure, and that option was always there, although bear in mind that earlier in this thread you said, "I would never consider Payless or Advantage as options," and they can turn up as Priceline providers.

When the spread between A-tier providers (Avis, Hertz, etc.) and B-tier ones (Alamo, Advantage, etc.) is big enough, I am persuaded to discard the A-list.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Sure, and that option was always there, although bear in mind that earlier in this thread you said, "I would never consider Payless or Advantage as options," and they can turn up as Priceline providers.
Thankfully, no such risk. Priceline states that it will be Hertz, Avis, Budget, National, or Alamo. I can live with any of those.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just rented a mid-size SUV with pickup and return at BOS for a week in mid-Feb. Hertz price was 663 USD pay now, 851 USD pay later. The Budget web site had the same-type vehicle for 629 USD. Regular Priceline (not NYOP) had it with Budget for 262 USD. Booked it. YMMV.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Just rented a mid-size SUV with pickup and return at BOS for a week in mid-Feb. Hertz price was 663 USD pay now, 851 USD pay later. The Budget web site had the same-type vehicle for 629 USD. Regular Priceline (not NYOP) had it with Budget for 262 USD. Booked it. YMMV.
That kind of price spread between Hertz/Avis and Priceline is increasingly common in my experience. I had a call from an Avis account manager a few months ago asking why I wasn't renting from them more. I said more than half my business was now going to Dollar and/or Priceline because, when Avis rolls out a dirty 50,000 mile car with marginal tires for me, I might as well pay bottom dollar for better.

Update: I have to be in Boston for a Sunday-Monday period at the end of January and booked Alamo via Costco Travel for $32.75 / day, intermediate. Not bad. The Avis and Hertz asks were, like, 2x / 3x more.

Last edited by BearX220; Jan 6, 2015 at 2:33 pm Reason: Adding recent data point
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

MLK weekend rate has dropped to $10 per day on Hotwire for economy or compact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.