Search

Connecting in Boston airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More, Skywards
Connecting in Boston airport

Hi guys
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I need some advice.

My return flight from JFK-BHX is as follows:
Jfk-bos (dl440) then a 1hr 50 min connection then my flight from BOS-CDG.. Etc
Both my arrival in Boston and departure from Boston are in Terminal A. Do I have enough time? Will I re-do immigration? Is it doable? Sorry it is my first trip!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
As you're fying JFK-BOS-CDG and then assuming CDG-BHX you will not have immigration at JFK nor Boston. At JFK the airline will check your passport to be sure it's valid for travel and in Boston you will not interact with Immigration or customs.

If your JFK-BOS flight is delayed ask the DL representatives about switching onto an DL or AF direct flight as to not miss your connections.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jul 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Since it is not clear which airline the OP is flying BOS-CDG I am moving the thread to the New England forum.

NewbieRunner
co-mod CommunityBuzz
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Since it is not clear which airline the OP is flying BOS-CDG I am moving the thread to the New England forum.

NewbieRunner
co-mod CommunityBuzz
Jfk-bos-cdg-bhx

Bos-cdg is air france operated by delta. Flight number begins with AF.
So as per your info, I will NOT encounter immigration/customs and it is manageable??
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
As you're fying JFK-BOS-CDG and then assuming CDG-BHX you will not have immigration at JFK nor Boston. At JFK the airline will check your passport to be sure it's valid for travel and in Boston you will not interact with Immigration or customs.

If your JFK-BOS flight is delayed ask the DL representatives about switching onto an DL or AF direct flight as to not miss your connections.
Hi, I've never been to Boston, so upon arrival where will I go? Is it manageable to go from arrivals to departures? Surely there must be customs or something, or is it different for connecting passengers?

My flight is from CDG-BHX as you guessed, its Air France operated by Delta.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm taking a guess that you're on DL2987 and connecting to AF3655(operated by DL) with ~1h43m connecting time (will vary by day). Both flights arrive and depart from Terminal A. There are 2 areas of gates in Terminal A separated by a longish walkway but during all of that you simply walk from your arrival gate to your departure gate with maybe a stop for a bathroom break and/or a bite to eat or drink. Find your gate, relax and board your next flight.

The ONLY reason for you to initiate any interaction with Customs is if you're carrying in excess of 10,000$ (or equivalent monetary notes). If you're not (which is doubtful because few people do) you will do nothing but go from gate to gate in the US.

If you are delayed getting to BOS there are 2 more flights (AF333 & AF 321) after your DL operated flight leaves.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jul 7, 2014 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by yarora
Hi, I've never been to Boston, so upon arrival where will I go? Is it manageable to go from arrivals to departures? Surely there must be customs or something, or is it different for connecting passengers?

My flight is from CDG-BHX as you guessed, its Air France operated by Delta.
U.S. airports are configured very differently from most international airports. Arrivals and departures and not walled off the way they are elsewhere, with the exception of international arrivals only. So since you are arriving at BOS on a domestic flight (JFK-BOS), you will be able simply to walk to your departure gate and board your connecting (BOS-CDG) flight without having to engage in any formalities (immigration, security, or otherwise). The connection can take anywhere from 30 seconds (if your arrival gate happens to be next to your departure gate) to 10-15 minutes (if your arrival and departure gates are at opposite ends of the terminal). In any event, with almost two hours to connect, you'll have plenty of time unless the JFK-BOS flight is very late.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:08 pm

If you're arriving at Terminal A (likely) and departing from Terminal A (Not sure where DL int'l departures take place), you'll have access to the terminal. JFK-BOS is a domestic flight, so you'll arrive through the same gate that other people would depart from on the next flight - not into a sterile arrivals area. You'll exit into the same terminal you depart from, in other words.

There's a Legal Sea Foods in A that I find to be really good. I think it's Legal Test Kitchen, but it's part of that chain. That's a good spot to grab a meal - I'm a big fan of the Legal chain, and I don't really like chain restaurants in general. Plus, that A location is better than at least one of the downtown Boston locations, IMHO I'd recommend getting a meal there. Warning: The bar is EXPENSIVE.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
(Not sure where DL int'l departures take place)
All DL departures are from Terminal A.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! You're all stars. Similar question.. Once I reach CDG in Terminal 2e, i have another 2 hour connection before my final flight to bhx departs from the same terminal. Again is this manageable? Will i confront security? Is there a long distance between arrivals and departures? Connections procedure.. Many thanks
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much everyone! You're all stars. Similar question.. Once I reach CDG in Terminal 2e, i have another 2 hour connection before my final flight to bhx departs from the same terminal. Again is this manageable? Will i confront security? Is there a long distance between arrivals and departures? Connections procedure.. Many thanks
When you arrive at CDG, follow the signs to flight connections. You will have to reclear security and walk to your departure gate, but you'll have plenty of time. If you check baggage, your baggage will be checked all the way through to BHX and you will not have to claim it at CDG.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:10 am

Follow the signs to connections - you do arrive in the sterile area and have to reclear security, but it's not a huge deal. Your bags don't need to be picked up as long as they were checked through to BHX when you dropped them off.

You are lucky on having the connecting flight departing from 2E - that terminal actually has things to do. My last time through CDG involved a connection out of 2G, which is pretty much a train station more than it is a terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.