Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Things to do in Boston

I'm going with my cousin (who is 19) to the Red Sox game on July 30th. He has never been to Boston before, and wanted to go a couple of hours early before the game at 7PM. We are taking the T in from Riverside.

I know there is a lot of things to do in Boston, I've been there MANY times. I just need some guidance with something to do with my cousin. Looking for something he'll be interested in, easily accessible on the T, and somewhat inexpensive.

Is something like going to the top of the Prudential something good? Duck tours maybe?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Top of the Pru might not be bad, but I'd be skeptical of making it to the game on time if I did a Duck Tour.

The Christian Science Center is really nice and has that echo chamber in the mapparium which is very . About a 15 minute walk from the park.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Continental Silver, Amtrak Select Plus
how about walking along the Esplande to the park, should take 45 mins from downtown. What does he like to do?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Hmm...I think the prudential and going to the north end to get some pizza and go to mike's pastry will be good. Probably won't have the time for the science museum or that. Are there any good places in the north end that have good pizza?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
Hmm...I think the prudential and going to the north end to get some pizza and go to mike's pastry will be good. Probably won't have the time for the science museum or that. Are there any good places in the north end that have good pizza?
Enjoy the game! Sox vs. Tigers...should be a good game! At 19 he/she may not enjoy the Museum of Science but I've heard that the Antartica IMAX is pretty good.

Mike's Pastry is the best (some say Modern is better but I prefer Mike's). As for pizza, personally I like Regina's best. Of course it is also available at the Pru, South Station, Faneuil Hall and elsewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Enjoy the game! Sox vs. Tigers...should be a good game! At 19 he/she may not enjoy the Museum of Science but I've heard that the Antartica IMAX is pretty good.

Mike's Pastry is the best (some say Modern is better but I prefer Mike's). As for pizza, personally I like Regina's best. Of course it is also available at the Pru, South Station, Faneuil Hall and elsewhere.
My cousin was born in Detroit and is still a major Detroit fan only living there after he was born for a couple of years. Anyone good local pizzerias in the north end (particularly on the way between haymarket station and mike's pastry.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: Continental Silver, Amtrak Select Plus
People seem to really like Regina's which is close to Haymarket and Mike's Pastry.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...tts+02113&z=16
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tkey75
... I'd be skeptical of making it to the game on time if I did a Duck Tour.
The baseball game is at 7pm; the duck tours run all day. It would easy (and fun) to schedule both.

If you have time to come in early enough, you easily could do a duck tour AND then go the North End for pizza and pastries. If you do this, my recommendation would be:

(1) Take a duck tour that is scheduled to end no later than 5:00. It's important to get to Regina's for pizza before the lines begin. If you get off the duck tour at 5, you'll be at Regina's by 5:30 (either by taxi or public transportation). This also leaves some margin for error in case the duck tour runs late.

(2) Go to Regina's in the North End. DO NOT go to one of the mall-based locations like at the Pru. IT IS NOT THE SAME.

(3) The vast, vast majority of Bostonians would tell you that the pastries at Modern and Maria's, also both in the North End, are better than the pastries at Mike's. That said, most 19-year-olds would think they'd died and gone to heaven when taken to Mike's -- it certainly looks more impressive than Modern and Maria's, even if the products aren't as good.

(4) If you have the time to make a day of it, do everything early enough so you can get to Fenway early. It's a lot of fun to hang out at the ball park early if you can swing it. Also, consider coming to Boston, starting at Regina's for lunch, and then doing the duck tour. That way, by the time you get to Fenway, you'll be ready for a couple (or more) Fenway Franks!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
One other note: if you do decide to do the duck tour, buy your tickets on line NOW. They do sell out.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
(3) The vast, vast majority of Bostonians would tell you that the pastries at Modern and Maria's, also both in the North End, are better than the pastries at Mike's. That said, most 19-year-olds would think they'd died and gone to heaven when taken to Mike's -- it certainly looks more impressive than Modern and Maria's, even if the products aren't as good.
Amen to that. If you like cannolis, Modern fills theirs fresh. Mike's quality is not nearly as good as Modern or Maria's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.