Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

4x4/AWD in reg. Emerald Club Aisle. . . Has Exec. Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum

Hey gang,

Coming from CLE, this is snow season, and when renting a car these days, I try to get a car with a 4x4/AWD. It doesn't have to be an SUV, persay.

Anyways, I've enjoyed using the Exec. Selection, since there's always a Volvo S80 with Winter Mode, that I don't mind driving. But this time, there was not a Volvo, or any car in the Exec. aisle with Winter mode or 4x4/AWD options. However, I saw that there were a few SUV's in the Executive VIP selection just parked there collecting ice and snow. I ran in, and asked if I could grab the Pathfinder, and the gal was saying of course not. You'll have to pay an additional 25. This irritated me a bit, because I saw a silly Pontiac Vibe with AWD in, you guess it, the basic Emerald Aisle.

It just feels weird that you've earned the status with tons of rentals, claiming that you'll be able to select from a better selection of cars, but then you have to go one tier lower just to get the car that you wanted. . .

Alas, as I returned my car the next day, the Pathfinder was still there, iced over.

What would you have done? Should I write a letter? Please advise. I love National, but I feel that if I can't get a better car from the Exec. aisle, why bother renting a ton, when I can just keep the Emerald Aisle tier.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A member qualified for Executive Selection is also welcome to take a car from the Emerald Aisle.

When I want an upgrade I expect to pay for it. Desirability of 4x4 in inclement weather runs high. $25 is a premium I have been quoted when big snow was forecasted to fall.

Exec Select is a promise of full size cars. That doesn't imply 4x4s when it's snowing, a Cadillac CTS, or a minivan when you need space for seven.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by phansy
It just feels weird that you've earned the status with tons of rentals, claiming that you'll be able to select from a better selection of cars, but then you have to go one tier lower just to get the car that you wanted. . .
I'll take glass half full. You had a choice of cars to pick from and one meeting your criteria was available so you got it! Not a Volvo but you still got a car with AWD.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
What is an EXECUTIVE VIP section? Who qualifies for it?

Ron.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
VIP

It's an invitation only club. Mainly CEOs and captains of industry, real mover and shakers.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by travelismylife
It's an invitation only club. Mainly CEOs and captains of industry, real mover and shakers.
Right on.. I've never actually seen stalls marked VIP anywhere.

Ron.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
I've seen them at ORD, ATL, BWI, MIA, FLL, and more. Usually at one end of the Exec. Selection- little sign says Exec. VIP, usually one space- up to three.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
Right on.. I've never actually seen stalls marked VIP anywhere.

Ron.
There were about 5 stalls, I think with three vehicles between them at SJC on 2/14. They were closest to the guardhouse.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A member qualified for Executive Selection is also welcome to take a car from the Emerald Aisle.

When I want an upgrade I expect to pay for it. Desirability of 4x4 in inclement weather runs high. $25 is a premium I have been quoted when big snow was forecasted to fall.

Exec Select is a promise of full size cars. That doesn't imply 4x4s when it's snowing, a Cadillac CTS, or a minivan when you need space for seven.
I can always count on You to pay attention in class and fill in for me when I am absent.
You are 100% correct. As an Exec Member you can choose from either Aisle. But you are never promised anything larger than a full size car. If you have been getting some gifts, that's wonderful! But yes you will have to pay more for the higher classes if they aren't sitting in the Exec Aisle.

The other comment about Who is a VIP...that was about correct also. There aren't many around...It's a corp owner, CEO, CFO...someone with LETTERS in their title...think of it that way...and by invitation mostly.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum
Yeah, I think I'm just used to gifts. I guess it doesn't make sense for an AWD to be in Emerald Aisle. If anything, it should be in Exec. It came with XM radio as well :-)

I had the chance to drive an '09 (in November) Maxima that was brand-new with 127 miles on it. I broke it in, and returned it with 530 miles :-) That Maxima was in the VIP section.

It's also weird. In Cleveland, not many people have Exec. status. The Emerald Aisle is used more. I'm lucky that Exec. is stocked, not going to lie.

However, I've been using the free day from Hertz for the weekend, and got spoiled with an 08 Hyundai Tucson :-)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Paminaz
But yes you will have to pay more for the higher classes if they aren't sitting in the Exec Aisle.
I have no issue with that. Seeing something I want more and paying a bit to have it. What's a reasonable amount an Exec Elite should expect to pay per day for an upgrade, say to a Premium/Lux?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:01 am
Original Poster

CLE has one of the highest taxes for rental cars, $20 on top of your daily rate. Beside NYC metro, CLE is def in the top 5 cities with high car rental prices.

With my experience, if you're Exec, and say the city is experiencing a snow storm, they will upgrade you to an SUV at no-cost (as it happened to me in PDX during the X-mas storm) At NYC, the total for the car was already $81 bucks for the F-class car, and since the storm was hitting NYC as well, I asked for an AWD, and they upgraded me to a Rav4 for $15.

If you wanted P-class and L-class, expect to pay $25-$35 to upgrade.

However, when SUV's are just sitting there, collecting ice and snow, I would think they'd let me upgrade for free since I rent from them every weekend, but then again, I got an AWD, so I should count my lucky stars.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:04 pm
Suspended

What's a reasonable amount an Exec Elite should expect to pay per day for an upgrade, say to a Premium/Lux?

This is going to depend on the supply of cars at that location. Rates change daily...sometimes Hourly!

Yes Exec members get nice discounts but just because vehicles seem to be "sitting arounds" doesn't mean they aren't booked for later reservations.

That's like saying a Hotel should give you the presidential ste cos it's empty or an airline should give you a first class upgrade for free cos the seat is empty...or heck let you stay for free cos their are empty rooms OR fly free cos there are empty seats. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. We all know that. We Wish it did!
We could beat that argument to death in many industries. Oh you're gonna teach the class anyway so why can't I take it for free cos you have emtpy seats in the class, or there is food left on the buffet that you will toss out so why can't I eat it for free, or those folks were gonna toss out those clothes or those items so why do I have to pay for it at the thrift store...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.