Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Emerald Aisle" on Executive reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:20 am
Original Poster

"Emerald Aisle" on Executive reservation?

I'm one of those Executive lites, but a legit CO Elite so I don't feel too bad about taking advantage of the program, and I'm a little confused. I signed up yesterday, and added my new member number to a mid-size reservation for this weekend. I received a confirmation, but it says my "level of service is Emerald Aisle." According to my EC profile "Tier: EXECUTIVE."

Huh?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Emerald Aisle refers here to locations (see National for the list) where cars are available for self-selection.

Alternately, you may see 'Club Counter,' where contracts are pre-printed, or the dreaded 'counter' with slow just-like-a-walk-up service.

As an Exec you get to pick the full size+ cars from the Exec Select row as an upgrade from the midsize cars placed on the Emerald Aisle.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Ah. So the term Emerald Aisle is used for both the counter bypass as well as their mid-tier all "special mid-size" section? That is confusing...

Just to make sure that I understand right, and please beat me in the head with a stick if I'm just being dense, my reservation (at SJC) says Emerald Aisle so I will be able to self-select (since they have my contract particulars on file they don't need to print it out), but I can pick up a car from the EA or the EC.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:01 am

As an Executive, you can reserve a full size, pay for a mid-size and select a car from the Executive Selection.

Alternatively, you can reserve a mid-size, pay for a mid-size, and select a car from the Emerald Aisle.

Here's the relevant excerpt from their website:
Only National offers the Executive Selection - a special area of our lot featuring fullsize and higher class cars. Simply reserve a midsize or fullsize car, bypass the counter, choose your car and pay only the reserved midsize rate. Every time you rent from the Executive Selection, you receive an upgrade. As an Emerald Club Executive member, you always pay for one car class less than reserved when you book a fullsize through luxury car. (For example, if you rent a premium car, you only pay the fullsize rate.)
My recommendation: Make a full-size reservation. Verify that your level of service is "Executive Selection" and that the price is the same. Then cancel the mid-size one.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rogue409
As an Executive, you can reserve a full size, pay for a mid-size and select a car from the Executive Selection.

Alternatively, you can reserve a mid-size, pay for a mid-size, and select a car from the Emerald Aisle.
So that's where my mistake is. I was under the impression from the website that I could reserve a mid and still select from ES or EA, rather than having to reserve a full to do that. That the cost for the mid and full is the same makes the distinction kind of silly, though.

My recommendation: Make a full-size reservation. Verify that your level of service is "Executive Selection" and that the price is the same. Then cancel the mid-size one.
I'll try that.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rogue409
Every reservation I have made as an Exec in the US, without exception, for a full size car has yielded a midsize rate, confirmed on the rental receipt. This is true whether the level of service is Aisle, Club Counter, or counter. Personally, I would have found no value in the dupe resrevation method you propose.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Every reservation I have made as an Exec in the US, without exception, for a full size car has yielded a midsize rate, confirmed on the rental receipt. This is true whether the level of service is Aisle, Club Counter, or counter. Personally, I would have found no value in the dupe resrevation method you propose.
I think he made the suggestion for my particular case, just so I could compare for myself. I ended up just modifying my reservation, so it worked out the same.

The change from mid to full worked, but I still find the language confusing: Simply reserve a midsize or fullsize car, bypass the counter, choose your car and pay only the reserved midsize rate. Every time you rent from the Executive Selection, you receive an upgrade. I look at that and see that I can reserve a mid and the ES will kick in, not that I need to book a full with the mid price applied for ES to kick in.

Thanks for your help. I'll try and provide a list of the ES/EA selection at SJC sometime after tomorrow night's pickup. If everything goes well, this may replace Budget/Avis for all my rentals...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:18 am

I have executive status and when I reserve a midsize the level of service shows "Executive Selection," not Emerald Aisle.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by BETA
I have executive status and when I reserve a midsize the level of service shows "Executive Selection," not Emerald Aisle.
Same for me. Both fullsize and midsize show Executive Selection at locations that feature it. Everything else defaults to Emerald Reserve.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
No need to reserve a full size. Reserve a midsize and you can pick from the Executive Aisle. This is less confusing to many corporate travel agencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.