Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National Hires Robots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
National Hires Robots

So I picked up a l'il Kia Spectra from my favorite National office in downtown Edmonton on Friday. When it came time to sign the inspection form, it had written across it in big letters "CAN'T FIND BLOCK HEATER CORD". The agent explained it to me, apologized, but then said it shouldn't be an issue as we're having unseasonably high temperatures all weekend.

Block heaters are standard issue here in Alberta as we regularly go below -30 C this time of year. So how would this car get missed? Simple, it's not from Alberta. I took one look at it with its BC plates and clued in. The car hails from a part of the country that rarely goes below the freezing mark.

It gave me a good chuckle. Can our cherished lot attendants not think THAT far out of the box?

I'd welcome any similar experiences any of you might have. Be careful out there...
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Do hotels actually provide a place to plug your car in?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Yes, some do where it gets really cold.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:32 pm

Wait, you're an EE, but you're given a Kia Spectra to rent?! Does not compute.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Wait, you're an EE, but you're given a Kia Spectra to rent?! Does not compute.
Welcome to downtown rental locations in Canada. You get what you pay for. She offered me a Sentra or an Avenger for my midsize reservation. Then she tossed in the Spectra and I figured why not since I'd never driven one. When I'm just running errands for the weekend I'm not too picky. When I travel I like to have something nice.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I had a car from FL (was in CT) and it didn't have a snow brush/ice scraper. After realizing it was from FL, that's the only reason one can assume in the middle of January a car in CT wouldn't have a snow brush.

I mean, how can you let that one slip by as a lot attendant???
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kcnwa
I had a car from FL (was in CT) and it didn't have a snow brush/ice scraper. After realizing it was from FL, that's the only reason one can assume in the middle of January a car in CT wouldn't have a snow brush.

I mean, how can you let that one slip by as a lot attendant???
Did you check the back deck? That don't always put them in the door pockets.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SouthsideJAX
Did you check the back deck? That don't always put them in the door pockets.
I looked everywhere, short of seeing if it was taped under the car
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

That's something I could see the average person missing. They just figure every car is going to have a brush in it by January and not notice with the amount of one-ways that the car is from a sunshine state. But you're right, it means they didn't bother to look in the backseat or trunk for one. In my case a lot attendant actually stared puzzingly at the car and probably rooted under the engine bay looking for the non-existant block heater.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:25 pm

I was up in CT this past December, with a car I picked up at LGA. I was clearing ice off my windows with a credit card, when I saw the ice scrapper on the back deck. I had checked both door pockets, the trunk, and the back sear, but not up on the deck. I felt really stoopid!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Welcome to downtown rental locations in Canada. You get what you pay for. She offered me a Sentra or an Avenger for my midsize reservation. Then she tossed in the Spectra and I figured why not since I'd never driven one. When I'm just running errands for the weekend I'm not too picky. When I travel I like to have something nice.
The downtown location in Edmonton always upgrades me to a nice car.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyB
The downtown location in Edmonton always upgrades me to a nice car.
They used to with me as well, and YEG was impecable about it. However lately it seems their selection is dwindling. I don't blame them, I think it's more a corporate decision. Plus the staff there has gotten used to the fact that I like the Rondo so I'm usually offered that.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Rule one of my travel...

Try not to go places where the dang car needs a heater LOL!

(Sorry, but this southern girl didn't really have a clue what the OP was talking about until someone pointed out the hotels have plugs question!) BRRRR........
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
Rule one of my travel...

Try not to go places where the dang car needs a heater LOL!

(Sorry, but this southern girl didn't really have a clue what the OP was talking about until someone pointed out the hotels have plugs question!) BRRRR........
you're not one of those people who think that Canadians plug their cars into the electric outlet to charge them, are you?! (I've seen the cords dangling out the front of the engine)

Yes, I have rented a car in Edmonton in winter and no, it didn't have a block heater. Nor did it have a snowbrush. (But that was from Hertz and my record with them in snow locations is not good!)

I actually left the car buried under 30cm of snow for my colleague from Texas to return to the airport - she still brings that up years later.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Regarding scrapers, it's not like it really matters. A credit card is usually just as effective as those flimsy little plastic pieces of junk you get in rental cars.

Hertz is the worst. Somebody thought it would be cute to have an ice scraper shaped like a "1", but nobody bothered checking if it was actually effective at scraping ice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.