Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at JAX (also: how to reserve a specific car)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know what's currently in the National fleet at JAX?

I'm specifically looking to rent a Pontiac G8 -- is there a way to guarantee that I get one? (I'm ok with paying correspondingly; otherwise I'll just get something cheap via priceline)
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Delta20
I'm specifically looking to rent a Pontiac G8 -- is there a way to guarantee that I get one? (I'm ok with paying correspondingly; otherwise I'll just get something cheap via priceline)
Delta20 - please allow me to welcome you to Flyertalk and the National forum.

Unfortunately with National, you can only reserve specific car classes but not specific models. I believe that a G8 is a fullsize (some people have said that its a premium). However, G8s are relatively rare, so I wouldn't count on it even if you reserve that "size". Fullsize, only thing close to what you can count on is an Impala, premium probably a Lucerne.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
Delta20 - please allow me to welcome you to Flyertalk and the National forum.

Unfortunately with National, you can only reserve specific car classes but not specific models. I believe that a G8 is a fullsize (some people have said that its a premium). However, G8s are relatively rare, so I wouldn't count on it even if you reserve that "size". Fullsize, only thing close to what you can count on is an Impala, premium probably a Lucerne.
I wish a G8 were a full size! I was told it was luxury!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:19 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
G8 as luxury would be outrageous since its basically a slightly upscale replacement for the Gran Prix (full size) - Bonneville (premium) was discontinued a couple of years ago.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, National Exec, WN A/CP
I have not spied a G8 in JAX although I was a second too late for a Grand Prix GTP about 3 months ago. On the aisle at JAX, you go to the parking garage and have to collect keys from the window located there (as they have no gates at the exit). Only takes a few minutes longer and they usually give you the option of what is available. I've driven Volvos, Avalons, Auras and the like there.

You have almost no options to assure yourself of a G8. I think they are premium in Florida but sometimes considered "special" and kept seperately if available at all.

Good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. I'm renting from National pretty frequently at the moment, so I think I'll keep renting mid-sized cars and just pony up the extra $$ for the upgrade if I get lucky and they have a G8 on the lot.

(I'm considering buying a G8, that's why am I so keen to get my hands on one for a few days.)
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Most likely they classify it in a way to keep it out of certain hands. Namely, they figure people who pony up the extra dough might treat it better?

That and if were a fullsize it would make it completely legit for a snotty under-25er like myself to rent it Taurus, Camry, or G8 GT, hmmmmm.......
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:24 pm

I personally returned a white G8 at Jax on Monday Oct 20, had about 4k miles on it. Took it one way from Daytona Beach and flew out of Jax. Very very nice car.

No you can't reserve a specific car, but it wouldn't hurt to call and inquire if the one I had is there on the day you want it. Maybe they'll hold it for you.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, National Emerald Club, Hilton Hhonors Gold
My update - Rented from the EA at JAX on 11/07.

The selection is very limited - about 7 cars.

There were 2 Impalas, 1 Ford Fusion, 1 Sebring, 1 Dodge Journey, 1 Mazda 5 and 1 empty spot.

Took the Dodge Journey. It was brand new - Just 10 miles driven
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
December 2012

Arrived JAX on Saturday 9:30AM :

Executive :
- Mustang, 2x Camry, Optima, Maxima, Traverse, XC60 (original choice, SiriusXM not activated), 2x 300 (final choice...active sat (for the drive to TPA)).
Aisle :
- Quick glance revealed usual sedans (200, Altima, et al)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
2/17/13 - 9am

Executive :
2x - 200
2x - Impala
2x - Grand Caravan
1 - Camry (my choice)
1 - Suburban
Specialty :
1 - Mustang
Aisle :
Empty

- Seemed as if all newly washed/cleaned vehicles were going to Enterprise/Alamo.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:10 am

3/20/13 - 6pm

EA:
3 x Impala
1 x Charger
1 x something else I don't even remember

ES:
1 x 200 (?)
2 x '13 Malibu (I took an LTZ with leather and working XM, 1200 miles)
1 x '13 Altima

Executive was a hodgepodge of full-size SUVs, "Specialty" had an Escape; that was just about all that was in the lot (I overheard a desk attendant in the terminal turning away someone apparently looking for a walk-up, saying they were sold out through the weekend).
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
This is one of the most bizarre operations I've encountered. They have both an ES and EA section with about 8 cars each. There's also very small full, premium, specialty as well as upsell sections, each with about a 3-4 car capacity. But here's where it got weird. I'm an ES customer with a Premium reservation. I checked the EA and ES aisles but nothing thrilled me (Altimas, Malibus, Pathfinders, a Sonata and a Camry). But over in the Full section there was a Taurus Limited with the Sirius still active. I checked the key tag and it was actually listed as a PXAR. Perfect. So I get to the exit booth (the only one at this location) and the agent is stumped. First she can't find my reservation. I give her the confirmation number. Then she says I'm supposed to have a minivan. Wrong, my reservation is for a Premium car. She then tells me that they've already run my paperwork and that they have me assigned to a Chrysler 300. How was I supposed to know that? And what happened to picking your own car? Is this Hertz?!

By now, there are cars stacked up behind me and I tell her that I'm quite satisfied with my selection. Exasperated, she starts keying away to trade my car out in the system. The whole ordeal takes about 10 minutes. I ask her why ES customers are being assigned cars when the whole advantage to National is selecting from the aisle. She tells me that this was her manager's idea to save time and speed up transactions. Sounds like a swing and a miss to me.

Hopefully this trial is short lived. If they really want to speed transactions, they'll find a way to add a second exit line. But this location is severely constrained for space so that isn't very likely.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Yes.
Any updats here? Hoping to get an SUV/minivan from EA next week.

Update: Got a brand new suburban!!!

Last edited by econjon; Jul 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
I was there last week. ES area was very small and only had two Nissan Altimas and two GMC Terrains available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.