Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:47 pm

I'll be renting from Vancouver in the coming week, except it looks like all their cars are sold out, except for Economy class. DOh, EE would be helpful in this situation.

My only choice is to rent from the South Terminal. It seems their complimentary shuttle stops running at 6:30pm, and my flight arrives at 6:30pm. What other modes of transportation are offered to get to the S. Terminal?

Also, anything tricky about the S. Terminal layout that I should know about?

Lastly, any recommended coupon codes for a Monday thru Thursday booking? Seems like most of the coupon codes are for US only.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jul 28, 2010 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I'll be renting from Vancouver in the coming week, except it looks like all their cars are sold out, except for Economy class. DOh, EE would be helpful in this situation.

My only choice is to rent from the South Terminal. It seems their complimentary shuttle stops running at 6:30pm, and my flight arrives at 6:30pm. What other modes of transportation are offered to get to the S. Terminal?

Also, anything tricky about the S. Terminal layout that I should know about?

Also, any recommended coupon codes for a Monday thru Thursday booking? Seems like most of the coupon codes are for US only.
The south terminal gets cars from the main terminal. You could always ask at the main terminal about picking up your rental there.

Ron.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
The south terminal gets cars from the main terminal. You could always ask at the main terminal about picking up your rental there.

Ron.
Hmm, good suggestion, thanks!

Looks like I might have to go to the main terminal anyway since the south terminal closes at 5:30pm.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jul 28, 2010 at 8:40 pm
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
National's inventory seems to be pretty low in YVR right now.. it's a pretty busy time.. but that can work in your favour.. I booked a full size for 5 days, great rate, picked up today at downtown location, given a 2011 AWD MKS with 4k on it.

Ron.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:10 am

National's inventory seems to be pretty low in YVR right now.. it's a pretty busy time.. but that can work in your favour.. I booked a full size for 5 days, great rate, picked up today at downtown location, given a 2011 AWD MKS with 4k on it.

Ron.
Nice, great catch!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:01 pm

YVR has some Ford Fusion Sport models in the mix now. Nice car, fully loaded minus NAV (AWD, V6, Backup Cam, Blind Spot indicator, etc etc).

Ron.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
YVR has some Ford Fusion Sport models in the mix now. Nice car, fully loaded minus NAV (AWD, V6, Backup Cam, Blind Spot indicator, etc etc).

Ron.
Yeah I've seen them floating around on the aisles. I could've had one for my drive to YYZ if I was willing to pay a $250 drop charge on top of my $200/day one-way rate. Killer deal!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Yeah I've seen them floating around on the aisles. I could've had one for my drive to YYZ if I was willing to pay a $250 drop charge on top of my $200/day one-way rate. Killer deal!
How did the one way work out? Did they make you take something specific?

Ron.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
How did the one way work out? Did they make you take something specific?

Ron.
I'll post a separate thread once I have some energy back. Right now I'm devoted to finding an apartment and getting unpacked.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:23 pm

Was at YVR today.. lot was pretty bare. Noticed a couple brand new 2011 BMW 323 sedans parked in luxury spaces. Had a look at them, cloth, base model. Luxury? Hmmm..

Ron.

Last edited by newfbc; Oct 25, 2010 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:30 am

Was at YVR today.. lot was pretty bare. Noticed a couple brand new 2011 BMW 323 sedans parked in luxury spaces. Had a look at them, cloth, base model. Luxury? Hmmm..

Ron.
I noticed those in our system last week - classified as GXAR's (Fullsize Elite Special) which is the same class as the Lincoln MKS. Ottawa has a bunch of them too - here in Halifax we're stuck with more Maxima's for the winter....

Funny though they order all wheel drive cars in the summer and rear wheel drive ones in the winter....

JasYHZ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
I arrive tomorrow night in YVR around 10pm and am curious what we are going to get. Midsize reservation but I am Executive. OW rental back to SEATAC.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
I arrive tomorrow night in YVR around 10pm and am curious what we are going to get. Midsize reservation but I am Executive. OW rental back to SEATAC.
You'll likely be forced to take a US-plated car. If you pick your own car off the aisle there's a good chance you'll be turned away at the booth. Walk past the Emerald/Exec aisle to see the regular National stalls (they're numbered). Have a look at what's there with WA/OR/CA plates as you may score a free upgrade just so they can get rid of something from the US. Make sure they don't force you to downgrade though!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
You'll likely be forced to take a US-plated car. If you pick your own car off the aisle there's a good chance you'll be turned away at the booth. Walk past the Emerald/Exec aisle to see the regular National stalls (they're numbered). Have a look at what's there with WA/OR/CA plates as you may score a free upgrade just so they can get rid of something from the US. Make sure they don't force you to downgrade though!
Good advice. Indeed they made us take a US plated car. There were two on the lot - a Cobalt and a Jeep Liberty. We took the Jeep. I had a midsize reservation and told them I was exec so I should get a free upgrade. I guess the Jeep was an upgrade. Why they get to charge us extra for a one way rental when they only give us choice of cars that have to go back anyway....
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:31 am

They charge extra probably because, technically, the car can stay where it is, as long as it's at a corporate store. Legally, there may be import laws dealing with crossing international borders, which is why if they have a foreign car, they'd rather dump it. But, again due to Canadian import laws, don't they need at least a few Canadian-plated cars for Canadian citizens going one-way from Seattle to Canada?

Just out of curiosity, what US plates did those 2 cars have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.