Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DCA (pre 12/10)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abefroman329
I decided to shell out the extra few bucks for a full-size so I don't get the "no, you can't have the full-size on the EA, you booked a midsize" line again.

So we'll see.
IMO, the best selections are usually Sunday night, Tuesday-Thursday mornings, and Friday afternoons around 5pm. Why Friday afternoons? Well, there are so many people clamoring for cars, that they will give you any car that they can get from the wash (barring a luxury car). So if you're lucky, you can probably get a Premium type car or full-size SUV.

Last edited by drzoidberg; May 26, 2010 at 8:19 pm
Old May 26, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, National EE, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by abefroman329
Does anyone have any recommendations on picking up tomorrow night vs. Friday morning in terms of EA selection? Any crystal ball predictions on which time might yield a better selection?

Thanks!
I'd suggest Friday morning as that will leave more cars for me to choose from on Thursday night

Seriously though, I was there Thursday night a few weeks ago with a full-size reservation. There wasn't much in the EA and the ES only had Chargers and Impalas. When I asked where to go for my full-size res, the National rep said just take anything on the ES - I grabbed a Charger with less than 2k miles on the clock.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:47 am

I'd be happy with a Charger, particularly if it has Sirius. Gas mileage sucks, though.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Is this a new low for DCA? Changed my ressie to a Premium for Memorial Day weekend, the price is $20/day.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZinDC
I'd suggest Friday morning as that will leave more cars for me to choose from on Thursday night

Seriously though, I was there Thursday night a few weeks ago with a full-size reservation. There wasn't much in the EA and the ES only had Chargers and Impalas. When I asked where to go for my full-size res, the National rep said just take anything on the ES - I grabbed a Charger with less than 2k miles on the clock.
NZinDC and Abefroman, any updates on the DCA selection from last night and this morning?
Old May 28, 2010, 12:01 pm

Thursday around 6pm. Quite a generous selection in EA, I thought.

I'm not elite, and I was looking specifically for a full size (and had a res for that size). Best EA options were a Malibu and a Ford Fusion - I took the latter. Under 4k miles, decent size trunk, comfortable seats, and sat radio (these last two were DW's minimum requirements). Good enough not to bother asking for a Impala or Charger (and will save some $$ on gas).

Also had a range of mid size and standard cars - I noticed an HHR and a VW beetle. Also some sort of Dodge minivan/SUV thing (Journey?)

Looking across the row at the ES (which I will be qualified for next time ), it was mostly Impalas and Chargers, plus I think a standard-size Jeep and IIRC maybe a Chrysler 300.
Old May 29, 2010, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Saturday morning at 8:15am; Memorial Day weekend. Had a Premium booked; they were almost out of cars.

ES: Minivans, 1 Dodge Journey
EA: VW Beetle, Toyota Corolla, Kia Forte, Chevy HHR
Premium: 1 x Grandma rquis

The guy said someone already reserved the Cadillac, doh! So I grabbed the one remaining Kia Sorento in the SUV Aisle way out back.

It was a 2010 Sorento with AWD and just 624 miles on the Odometer. Liking it so far; has satellite radio too! Made sure to play The Heavy's "How You Like Me Now".

Can't figure out if it's the base Sorento LX or the Sorento LX V-6.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Tuesday morning at 7am; very well stocked.

Premium: 2010 Ford Taurus Limited
Volvo S60
Sebring Convertible
Cadillac DTS
Buick Lucerne

(the Taurus, Volvo, and Caddy all had "reserved" signs placed in their windshields).

EA:

Kia Soul
2 x VW Beetles
Several Dodge Avengers
Chrysler Sebrings
1 x Dodge Caravan
Usual collection of HHRs, Malibus, etc..

ES:

1 x Grandma rquis
2 x 300s
Usual mix of Impalas, Chargers, Malibus
1 x Ford Focus SES parked at the front of the ES.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Also, be aware. They are checking for damage upon return now, so make sure you bring that digital camera with you and check for scratches prior to checkout!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
NZinDC and Abefroman, any updates on the DCA selection from last night and this morning?
Sorry, just saw this.

When picking up Thurs 5/27 approx. 8 pm

EA - bunch of HHRs and PT Cruisers, a Prius, a VW Beetle, some Malibus, a minivan towards the end.
ES - several Impalas, two Chargers, an Escape, a Jeep Cherokee.

Told the agent I had an Emerald Reserve reservation for a full-size, was first directed to EA, then ES. Ended up with the Escape.

On returning Tues 6/1 approx. 5 pm -

EA - picked clean
ES - tons of minivans with an Impala or two thrown in for good measure.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Picked up Saturday at 9am; tip, when picking up on weekends (e.g. Friday evening or Saturday morning), don't bother reserving anything higher than a Full-Size. All the premium cars get moved to the ES. If you have a Thursday rental, then you can still book premium and probably get a decent choice of vehicle.

Didn't get a chance to check the EA, but ES was pretty good.

ES

- 1 x Kia Sorento (that I drove last time)
- 1 x Hyundai Santa Fe
- 3 x Lincoln Town Cars
- 2 x Dodge Chargers
- 1 x 2010 Ford Taurus Limited

I took the Ford Taurus, I'm very excited to drive it, first time. Quite a catch on the ES, although it does have a slight cigarette odor from the previous renter.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:42 pm

6pm Thursday. In a bit of a rush so didn't have a good look, and didn't look at EA at all.

ES was full but only had a selection of cars, no SUVs. I saw Chargers, Impalas, a Ford Fusion and I took the first Ford Taurus I came across - haven't driven one yet and it has less than 2k miles.

Last edited by NZinDC; Jun 24, 2010 at 11:43 pm Reason: Added Ford Fusion to list
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:35 am
Original Poster

6pm Thursday. In a bit of a rush so didn't have a good look, and didn't look at EA at all.

ES was full but only had a selection of cars, no SUVs. I saw Chargers, Impalas, a Ford Fusion and I took the first Ford Taurus I came across - haven't driven one yet and it has less than 2k miles.
Nice, a Taurus Limited?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Nice, a Taurus Limited?
No - the SEL. Still seemed pretty good on the drive home from DCA. DW, who prefers driving SUVs or Malibu/Altima sized cars, has it today - we'll see how she goes parking it! (But wait, maybe it has the reverse sensing system?)
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:38 am
Original Poster

No - the SEL. Still seemed pretty good on the drive home from DCA. DW, who prefers driving SUVs or Malibu/Altima sized cars, has it today - we'll see how she goes parking it! (But wait, maybe it has the reverse sensing system?)
SEL doesn't have the standard rear-view camera that the Limited has, although it does have ultra-sonic rear parking sensors. The camera helps a lot, esp. with the high rear deck lid.

It's possible that National purchased the camera as an option for the SEL, though unlikely. Just shift into reverse; you'll see the camera (if equipped) on the driver's rear view mirror.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.