Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scammed by National - Cabo San Lucas

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Scammed by National - Cabo San Lucas

I was scammed and completely ripped off by the Cabo San Lucas rental location, and I wanted to share my story.

Very familiar with renting cars in Mexico, I had all damage to the car noted prior to leaving. Among the ton of nicks and dings, this also included damage to the windshield, which the woman told me had been indicated on the inspection sheet by making a dot on the windshield picture of the car. The windshield in fact had two damaged locations (a big chip and a large crack separate from the chip). I figured all was fine when I got into the car, and comfortably drove off, as the damage had been noted. Well I was dead wrong.

Returning the car less than 24 hrs later and having driven pretty much just the distance from my hotel to SJD (and, I swear, in the same exact condition I rented), the airport location claimed that since the large crack had not been noted (only the little dot marked in the center of the windshield on the inspection sheet) that I was fully liable for a new windshield, at a cost of 2500 pesos ($250 US).

I tried complaining to National customer service, and they've responded with a PDF containing the written response from the Cabo San Lucas location which confirms the windshield was damaged at pickup but that I made it "severly damaged". I find it amazing that they have confirmed the windshield had prior damage and still find me liable at the outrageous 2500 pesos charge.

Anyway, I'm protected with Visa's cdw-decline rental insurance, so I'm out nothing personally (although I know it will be months before I see money from Visa). I do intend to continue my fight with National and other legal entities (including Mexico's PROFECO) just because I'm not going to let them get away with this without some serious heartache and hopefully a lesson that they picked the wrong tourist to scam.

Please avoid National Car Rental in the Cabo San Lucas area!
Old May 12, 2008, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Sorry for your ordeal. Please keep us posted.
What can we learn for the future write on the tag " very damaged"? Ask for a different car?
Old May 13, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
Take a picture with your cameraphone and note that on the damage sheet.

Unfortunately, if you're gonna get scammed, it's probably gonna happen. You can only be so pro-active. Then you have to fight like the OP.
Old May 13, 2008, 8:33 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I was expecting one of the usual rants from an uninformed renter, but the OP's post is a good reminder for all of us to check carefully for pre-existing damage and to photograph it before (and perhaps after!) renting. ^
Old May 13, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I've only rented a car once in Mexico, and I used my cell phone camera to snap photos of damage when I picked up the car.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I almost want to never take a car out with a chip on the windshield ever again from any rental. I've had personal cars of mine have a chip and just the act of sitting in the sun after a cool night has caused it to spider out. I find it hard that a rental car company can rate the degree of severity. What may be minor damage to one person may be major to another when returning it.

Goes to show, if there's any doubt, photograph the damage before leaving. I guess you could have demanded to see the security videos for the exit you used the day before and try and show them, but I'm sure once they made up their mind to charge you, there was little you could do to change it.

I'm betting they even charged the person of the rental before you for the damage... Thus double dipping.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:34 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I've had a similar incident in Costa Rica, they wanted to charge me for
a dent on the under carriage.. (god knows how they knew about it)
I held my ground and asked the person to check the previous records.

Fortunately (after half an hour) he comes back with a report saying the dent
was charged to a previous renter.. and they had to let me off the hook.
I asked for the copy.. and I was on my way.

There is no way I would have looked under the car... I'm sure this was
one of those scams.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for listening. I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

My point was to try to come up with some way to warn people to protect themselves, but like hotdogs said, what can you really do? I figured it was enough to note damage.

kcnwa, I wish there was a security video. Not at this little dusty location.

I do have photos of the return but not the pickup (of course). For anyone curious: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2386638...7605036489668/
Old May 13, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JimC
kcnwa, I wish there was a security video. Not at this little dusty location.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2386638...7605036489668/
And I doubt it would have made any difference. I'm sure they made up their mind to charge you and there was nothing you could do to change it. Just one of those hindsight is 20/20.

Frankly, I never thought of taking a photo of my car before. But now, if there's any damage, I very well may. Even if there isn't damage, might not be a bad idea.

And just think the industry already thinks FT'ers are crazy, now we'll be taking pictures of our rental cars on the lot
Old May 13, 2008, 5:02 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with this location. I've actually rented 3 times from this branch before without any incident whatsoever. Unfortunately, it seems as if National in Cabo has succumbed to the popular unwritten rule of bilking American tourists out of as much money on every rental as they can. I have had this happen at both an Avis and Hertz down there, but one would have hoped National would be above such disgusting business practices.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Update BUMP!

-Credit card dispute: won*
-VISA insurance: initial claim submitted, paperwork not yet submitted (no point, I guess)
-PROFECO: case accepted, hearing scheduled**
-BBB: complaint forwarded to National, no response
-Attorney General (Oklahoma): complaint forwarded to National, no response
-Email complaints to National: ignored completely after first contact

* Chase has reversed the entire rental charge, not just the amount I disputed (windshield plus tax), which is interesting, although the letter notes that if National can substantiate any charges, they will be re-billed to me

** PROFECO did not specify where/when my hearing would be held, and whether it was in person (if so, where?) or by phone

I guess I can stop now, so long as National doesn't try to "chargeback my chargeback". I am very interested in the PROFECO hearing, though, as this is the entity that puts the franchise in Cabo San Lucas on notice.

My complaint to the Attorney General demands that National update their check-out procedure. We'll see, haha.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
congrats dude

thats why whenever you rent...make sure to note EVERY LITTLE THING.

thrifty tried to screw friends of mine over so many times. One time, friend rented a 12 passenger van to carry guest from a hotel to a hall...nothing was put on top of the car..apparently there was a dent on the top from a previous renter putting that on there...upon returning van....guy goes straight to the trunk..hops up and points out damage..he knew exactly that there was damage before..friend didn't check the top b/c you wouldn't think you have to check the roof..but always check everything no matter what....and note even small scratches..

it seems the employees know where the damage is before you return the vehicle..

lately, friend rented vehicle and told employee there are scratches on the vehicle...on the computer...it showed up as scratches on the back but that was before the friend noted to the checkout that there was scratches..so national knew there was scratches on the car but you are expected to tell them or they will charge you..very unethical business practices..
Old Oct 23, 2008, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to bump the thread with the final results of my fight against National.

My claim with PROFECO was decided 100% in my favor, so I had twice the money back. I reversed the credit card dispute.

Oklahoma's Attorney General was helpful but unable to get National to budge.

National Car Rental's response was pathetic. Their response from a suppose customer advocate just indicated that they never lifted a finger to try to see what happened.

I wanted to refrain from a general rant and a cliche', but I will: please avoid this crooked company! They honestly don't care when push comes to shove.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
Thanks for a good write-up and sorry you've spent so much time on this.

We're all lucky this doesn't happen very often in the US.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:24 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I am extremely careful now with noting all dents, dings, scratches, etc. Once Avis in VIE wanted to charge me $500 for a 1/2" scratch near the wheelwell. My credit card company reversed the charge as frivolous - I took a picture and you literally could hardly see it.

Another time a company wanted to charge me for scratches under the front bumper. Now I ALWAYS kneel down and look under the front bumper for damage and make sure it is noted (there is almost always damage there).

I also am sure to look at the roof and inside the doors - sometimes there is damage there.

And be sure the gas tank shows F. I have had more than one occasion where it has not been full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.