Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at Portland / PDX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Was scheduled to land at 12:30am but flight was delayed so we landed a bit after 1. By the time I got my bag and walked across the road it was 1:25. Luckily the National crew was hanging out and waiting for me. No Aisle service that late at night -- I walked around and tried a car or two which were locked before realizing this. Given this I didn't really have much of a choice since I really should have been happy to get a call at all (posted hours have them closing at 1am). They had a massive ring of keys for all the vehicles sitting in the aisles. They asked Car or SUV and I said SUV -- ended up in a Yukon XL. Not the end of the world since I'm not doing much driving so fuel economy is not critical. What I did notice on the aisles (both ES and EA) before going inside:

Suburban x2
Yukon x2
Impala ('13) x2
Altima x2
Camry x2
Malibu x2
Pathfinder
Buick SUV
Dodge RAM
Dodge Durango
Chevy crossover SUV
Ford Expedition
1 Kia Sorrento
1 Hyundai Sonata

In the Premiere section, I glanced
1 x 5 Series BMW
3 x Lincoln Sedans
1 x Hyundai Genesis
1 x Lincoln Navigator
1 x Volvo XC60
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Those are detailed vehicle lists to be making at 1AM! Thanks for the contribution.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: Emerald Club Executive
My first trip to PDX. Arrived 12/8 around 3pm.

Executive aisle was full didn't have much interesting vehicles of note:

1 '14 Expedition
2 '14 Kia Cadenza
2 '14 Acadias
1 '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Usual mix of 300's, Impalas, Camrys and Altimas

The premium section however is a different story:

2 '14 Lincoln MKS with panoramic sunroof
2 '14 Infiniti QX80
1 '14 Acura RDX (GXAR which I took on a LCAR reservation)
2 '14 Lincoln MKZ
2 '14 Escalades
.........and 2 '14 Jaguar XF 3.0!!!!

Wanted to take one of the Jags but the $75/day upgrade fee was a little too much for me with this trip. I did snag the Acura RDX, though since ATL will probably never get to see one anytime soon. Must say it was a good first impression for PDX.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:15 pm

Acuras and Jaguars!?! Was this some kind of parallel universe?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:03 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Acuras and Jaguars!?! Was this some kind of parallel universe?
Maybe this is the intention for Premier Selection
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:04 am

Arriving somewhere on Christmas night is always a bit of a crapshoot...and sure enough, there were a grand total of 3 cars in the Executive area last night. 2 Dodge Challengers and a Ford Expedition. Lucky for me, however, they had set aside a nice little Christmas upgrade for me...there was a Cadillac XTS waiting for me!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Picked up Saturday morning around 10am.

Place was a ghost town; between the ES and EA there were 5 cars -- a pickup, a small Chevy SUV, a Prius, a Nissan Altima and a minivan. All other reserve sections were empty save for the minivan section which had 4 or 5 vans in it. The Premiere section had 1 Navigator and 1 Lincoln MKZ. Next to the Emerald booth was a Jaguar XF.

I had a 1-day reservation for a Premium, using a free day coupon that was expiring at the end of the year. They didn't really have any Premiums around. They tried to upsell me on the Premiere vehicles but I was not budging. Finally they agreed to let me go with the Jaguar for $15.

Driving around in the Jag was a unique experience -- it certainly got a lot of eyeballs. The car actually felt like it was unhappy driving at 40-50 in traffic -- it wasn't until traffic thinned on I-5 and all of a sudden I could open it up and was doing 90 and the car felt like it was finally approaching its stride.

I returned it less than 6 hours later, 200 miles more on the odo (taking it up to 11K). Interestingly enough when I returned it, they tried to charge me $150 for the upgrade. It took a trip to the counter to get it sorted and a lot of typing; in the end the took the UG charge off, so I got out of there for .70. I'd say best use of my free day cert ever

It was a fun rental, and perhaps as a solo renter I'd go for it again if the upgrade price was right, but not ideal for a family trip and I can't ever imagine buying one. Much better value out there in cars. The agent in the return line said that they (EAN) have 4 Jag XF's in the fleet in PDX (they had license plate frames from a local dealership FWIW) and they rotate them around between Enterprise and National in the garage.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:12 am

PDX seems to have gotten a shipload of Chevys. Executive Selection was filled with Impalas and Chargers. There were also 2 Altimas, a Kia Optima and 3 Sonatas. I checked out a couple of the Sonatas, but they were all pretty high mileage (15-20K). Decided to go with something I hadn't had before - Ford Taurus Limited (17K on the clock).
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:55 am

Been a while, but was back at PDX yesterday evening around 5:30 pm. There were maybe 12 cars in the Executive area, although, they weren't really cars. There were only 3 non-giant SUV/truck things - a VW Tiguan, a Subaru Outback and an electric blue Mustang. Otherwise, your options were Dodge Ram 1500, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, etc.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
Originally Posted by Buster
Been a while, but was back at PDX yesterday evening around 5:30 pm. There were maybe 12 cars in the Executive area, although, they weren't really cars. There were only 3 non-giant SUV/truck things - a VW Tiguan, a Subaru Outback and an electric blue Mustang. Otherwise, your options were Dodge Ram 1500, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, etc.
I almost took the Mustang but ended up with a brand new Durango, leather and all. Not bad but you're right it was all Impala's and Chargers if you didn't want a van/ SUV.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by payingdues
I almost took the Mustang but ended up with a brand new Durango, leather and all. Not bad but you're right it was all Impala's and Chargers if you didn't want a van/ SUV.
that literally is the only non SUV in the list - Tiguan and arguably Outback are SUV-like.
Old May 19, 2014, 1:11 pm

Late night (12:30am) pickup on a Thursday night/Friday morning. Aisle was still open, which was a surprise to me as my reservation said counter and my previous late night pickups found counter only.

The aisles (EE and EA are across from each other) were pretty bare. I saw
- Dodge Journey 2WD
- VW Tiguan
- 2x Altima
- 1x Camry
- 1x Impala (old style)
- 1x Jeep Patriot
- 1x Ford Focus
- 1x Nissan Rogue
- 1x Chevy Malibu

I needed something a bit larger so I asked the attendant what he had. He pointed me to the Journey and said that the cargo room was very good. Having previously rented this car I opted against, and asked what else. He said, "well I've got a suburban over there" and pointed to the VIP area, which contained 2x Suburbans, 2x Cadillac crossovers, 1 BMW 3 series, 1 Genesis, 1 Lincoln Navigator.. and in the corner a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 2500 miles which I was able to get without any upgrade fee.

GREAT ride for the trip up to Seattle and back. I averaged about 19.5 MPG between the highway and city which is not great, but given the weight of the car not a surprise. The sunroof (more like a glass roof) was great and my kids really liked it. I found the seat very comfortable, the audio excellent, and the drive was fun. It seems like they really thought of all the features on this thing -- from the automatically lowering mirrors on reversing, to the front and rear seat warmers/air conditioners, even the silly (yet nice to have) steering wheel heater!
Old May 19, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Did you notice the price of the Genesis upgrade? I'm assuming this was a '15 model, correct?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Did you notice the price of the Genesis upgrade? I'm assuming this was a '15 model, correct?

Thanks!
No, this was a 2014. I was surprised to see it there. I'm guessing it had fairly high mileage. No UG tag was hanging, it was just in the VIP stalls.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by noah
No, this was a 2014. I was surprised to see it there. I'm guessing it had fairly high mileage. No UG tag was hanging, it was just in the VIP stalls.
I have yet to see a 2015 model of any car in PDX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.