Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel practice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Fuel practice

I rented from National in Orlando International while on vacation there. Returning the car last week, late as usual, I completely failed to find a gas station anywhere around the airport so I had to drop the car off with between 1/3 and 1/2 full tank. I assumed that they'd check the fuel and bill me the exorbitant rate later but looking at my receipt I see that I'm charged for 13 gallons immediately. Given that I just failed to spend $20 (at $1.79) to fill to the brim when the indicated fuel had been empty for rather too long for comfort, I am not unnaturally unhappy.

Anything I can do?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:46 pm

They calculate based on the miles driven (current odo reading - rental reading) and estimated MPG and assume that you've not purchased any gas during the rental.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:26 pm

What happens when you had the car for a week and put 1000 miles on it?
The $1.79 is not bad. National gets $4.78 per gallon in some markets to "top off the tank."
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Fuel

I actually had the car for 17 days and put 900 miles on it.

Looking at the terms of the rental, it actually has 2 conditions.
a) if the vehicle hasn't been refuelled then the mileage calc as above.
b) if it has been refuelled then the tank refilling amount.

To be fair to National, I emailed them pointing out that I had an indication between 1/3 and 1/2 full and they refunded me for half a tank. At $4 odd a gallon they're still making their good deal of course.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A little Different Twist that Surprised me

This week I rented in ATL. When I got the car it only had 7/8 in it so I told the guy at the drive-thru when I left to make a note.

So I was trying to put 7/8 back in it yesterday at a Gas Station, but the gauge went slower than the pump and it ended up at full.

So I checked in the car, and they gave me a two gallon credit @ $1.99 per gallon. I had never seen that before, usually if you put too much in, too bad.
Old May 21, 2004, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
This week I rented in ATL. When I got the car it only had 7/8 in it so I told the guy at the drive-thru when I left to make a note.

So I was trying to put 7/8 back in it yesterday at a Gas Station, but the gauge went slower than the pump and it ended up at full.

So I checked in the car, and they gave me a two gallon credit @ $1.99 per gallon. I had never seen that before, usually if you put too much in, too bad.

I got the credit as well one day. I used a free day coupon that day in Seattle and the CS agaent credited me back the gas which actually was worth more than the taxes on a one day rental! I think it happens alot in the non airport locations. ^
Old May 23, 2004, 5:08 am

Programs: DL Humble Silver, Amex plat, Hilton Hhonors Gold,Elite Exec National
Welcome to Flyertalk, ordskier!

May I just ask you about pick up in Seattle? Understand that it is at the Hilton. We will be turning up in taxi with loads of luggage. Where is the best place to get dropped off? We are Emerald Club and have ordered in Intermediate. Apparently there is no Emerald Aisle Service, so how does the rental pick up go?
Thanks for your help.

Pinkies
Old May 23, 2004, 10:19 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by pinkies
May I just ask you about pick up in Seattle? Understand that it is at the Hilton. We will be turning up in taxi with loads of luggage. Where is the best place to get dropped off? We are Emerald Club and have ordered in Intermediate. Apparently there is no Emerald Aisle Service, so how does the rental pick up go?
Thanks for your help.

Pinkies

Pinkies,

It was quite easy. The counter is right by the front entrance to the hotel. The bell stand occupies the same general area. No aisle service but the folks behind the counter were very good ( some of the most knowledgeable I have seen behind a counter)

Your one catch is that once you sign in the counter, you will need to go up a few levels in the garage to get the car. I guess you could leave the bags with the bell stand and get the car down to the street. I believe there was a load/unload space right there. The exit and the bell stand are on different streets so you will need to circle the block.

You shouldn't have any major problems.

ordskier
Old May 23, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Humble Silver, Amex plat, Hilton Hhonors Gold,Elite Exec National
Thanks for your help, ordskier. Much appreciated.

Pinkies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.