Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous National rates on National rentals from Vancouver Island, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me

So I believe all National locations on V.I. are owned by the same franchisee. But a $395 drop fee to take a car one way from V.I. to the mainland? Special shout out to YYJ, Victoria airport, for charging a 13.44% "concession recoup fee" and including the drop fee as subject to that tax.
I believe this comes from the franchisee not wanting their vehicles to intermingle with the National fleet, but for that drop fee, they could airlift the the thing back to V.I. and still make money. We don't often rent originating on V.I., but when we do it'll be with Enterprise.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
So I believe all National locations on V.I. are owned by the same franchisee. But a $395 drop fee to take a car one way from V.I. to the mainland? Special shout out to YYJ, Victoria airport, for charging a 13.44% "concession recoup fee" and including the drop fee as subject to that tax.
I believe this comes from the franchisee not wanting their vehicles to intermingle with the National fleet, but for that drop fee, they could airlift the the thing back to V.I. and still make money. We don't often rent originating on V.I., but when we do it'll be with Enterprise.
Airlift the vehicle back?.. lol. For them to retrieve the car they would have to send someone over on the ferry, pick it up.. take it back on the ferry. That would take the best part of a day time wise, plus the cost of the ferry and gas plus the time and gas to drive that person to the ferry from Victoria.

Ron.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by newfbc
Airlift the vehicle back?.. lol. For them to retrieve the car they would have to send someone over on the ferry, pick it up.. take it back on the ferry. That would take the best part of a day time wise, plus the cost of the ferry and gas plus the time and gas to drive that person to the ferry from Victoria.

Ron.
​​​​Uhm, usually there's many options to rent to customers going one way the opposite way. Or you could limit the one way rentals from V.I. to the corporate vehicles that you actually have. Enterprise seems to have a much more customer friendly, less usurious approach, don't they?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
​​​​Uhm, usually there's many options to rent to customers going one way the opposite way. Or you could limit the one way rentals from V.I. to the corporate vehicles that you actually have. Enterprise seems to have a much more customer friendly, less usurious approach, don't they?
There's no guarantee they will have a corporate vehicle available. Enterprise is corporate I believe, so all vehicles are corporate. I do recall years ago that if National Victoria had a corporate mainland vehicle available at the time of your rental, you could do a one way without the drop fee. There's no way to book this in advance though.

Ron.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.