Search

Expiring/Extending Free Days...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Expiring/Extending Free Days...

Hi all,
I have some free days expiring at the end of the year. Has anyone had any luck in requesting an extentsion? I remember doing this with some luck way back in the days of the 1-2-free days, but the rental industry has changed so much since those days. Has anyone tried requesting an extension?
Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:26 pm

I tried earlier this year to extend free days that expired in September (those which had already been systemically extended due to covid) and was denied. The rep stated that the corporate policy was those free days had already been extended enough, so it was time to use them or lose them.

For regular free days expiring EOY, I haven't tried in some time.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, national executive elite,
I have a trip planned for the first week of January to the Florida Keys. I had some free days that were expiring at the end of December 2023, while others were valid until December 2024. I contacted National to ask if they could extend the expiring days, and they were kind enough to apply those two days to my upcoming reservation. In return, they gave me back the two days that were expiring next year.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:40 pm

Weren't the last one two free days earned back in 2019/ 2020? Maybe it's just me but expecting a company to honor these years after they were issued and expired seems a little excessive.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by blufish312
Weren't the last one two free days earned back in 2019/ 2020? Maybe it's just me but expecting a company to honor these years after they were issued and expired seems a little excessive.
I think OP is referring to regular free days in their account. These do expire as well.

Ron.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
In case you didn't know, you can call and ask them to apply the free days to previous rentals.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by xienon
In case you didn't know, you can call and ask them to apply the free days to previous rentals.
Can you pick and choose which previous rental to apply it to? My most recent rentals at the airport were like $50 but the ones during the summer were $100+.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by huskyflyer
Can you pick and choose which previous rental to apply it to? My most recent rentals at the airport were like $50 but the ones during the summer were $100+.
Yes, I sent them specific rentals and they did it.
huskyflyer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wiley
Hi all,
I have some free days expiring at the end of the year. Has anyone had any luck in requesting an extentsion? I remember doing this with some luck way back in the days of the 1-2-free days, but the rental industry has changed so much since those days. Has anyone tried requesting an extension?
Thanks!
It can be done!

Called EC CS earlier today regarding several free days due to expire end of December 2023. CSR took look at my account and days in question responded with "yes, since these days were not previously extended we can go ahead...). FD now end December 2024.

These were normally earned free days, not part of OTF or other promotions, don't know if that matters just am saying...

National seems to have moved EC CS offshore since each time one calls get some sort of strange computer tone, then call is answered by persons with foreign accent. Previously even before Covid panic National EC CSR were largely home based workers at lower tier. Not sure if that still happens and offshore is in addition to or they've scrapped American workers all together for lower tiers.

Happy New Year!
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:56 am

I also had a positive experience a few days ago, The max number of days the rep would extend for me was 3.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:26 pm

Have done it for years....

You only need to tell National EC customer service which reservation/contract you want free days applied.
Having RA or contract number is helpful and speeds process along.

One thing to watch out for when applying free days retroactively is that any awards or points generated by rental may be removed or rescinded by change in final bill.

You need to pay for at least one day to earn EC credits towards free days. If you go back and pay for a reservation that was three days long with three "free days" bringing that total bill down to nil, then you may see any credits awarded rescinded.

On other side of things you also have to take into account what can or could happen with CC used to pay for rental.

Retroactively applying free days to all or most of a rental can affect things such as any sort of insurance provided by CC.

If terms of CC car rental insurance states rental must be paid for by said card and or requires specific number of days when funds are refunded (because of free days applied) rental may no longer qualify. Then several months later (it has happened) National out of the blue charges CC used stating damage was caused to vehicle or something else discovered by subsequent audit. Well since rental was no longer paid for by CC (if free days were used to pay retroactively) then issuer just very well may say "you're on your own".
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Have done it for years....

You only need to tell National EC customer service which reservation/contract you want free days applied.
Having RA or contract number is helpful and speeds process along.

One thing to watch out for when applying free days retroactively is that any awards or points generated by rental may be removed or rescinded by change in final bill.

You need to pay for at least one day to earn EC credits towards free days. If you go back and pay for a reservation that was three days long with three "free days" bringing that total bill down to nil, then you may see any credits awarded rescinded.

On other side of things you also have to take into account what can or could happen with CC used to pay for rental.

Retroactively applying free days to all or most of a rental can affect things such as any sort of insurance provided by CC.

If terms of CC car rental insurance states rental must be paid for by said card and or requires specific number of days when funds are refunded (because of free days applied) rental may no longer qualify. Then several months later (it has happened) National out of the blue charges CC used stating damage was caused to vehicle or something else discovered by subsequent audit. Well since rental was no longer paid for by CC (if free days were used to pay retroactively) then issuer just very well may say "you're on your own".
This was really helpful - yeah I want to pay by CC first then retroactively claim it partly to avoid buying EHI's CDW/LDW. How does it work to charge someone after you return a car during an audit? I assume after you return the car within 24-48 hours it is probably rented out again so how would they be able to prove and pin the damage onto you and not the subsequent renter or EHI's own staff that damaged the car while washing it etc?

By the way, I was just calling National to extend my rental days and they extended my free rental credit by a year. However, the agent said I can only redeem it on an Aisle reservation and not a LCAR reservation. However, as an EE I believe I am entitled to redeem it on a LCAR.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:11 pm

This was really helpful - yeah I want to pay by CC first then retroactively claim it partly to avoid buying EHI's CDW/LDW. How does it work to charge someone after you return a car during an audit? I assume after you return the car within 24-48 hours it is probably rented out again so how would they be able to prove and pin the damage onto you and not the subsequent renter or EHI's own staff that damaged the car while washing it etc?

By the way, I was just calling National to extend my rental days and they extended my free rental credit by a year. However, the agent said I can only redeem it on an Aisle reservation and not a LCAR reservation. However, as an EE I believe I am entitled to redeem it on a LCAR.
Ideally damage to vehicle should be spotted when returned. This either by garage/lot attendant who handles return or manager who inspects vehicles on his/her lot as part of inventory. This or certainly when vehicle is being prepped for renting again someone should note damage.

As you know return slip has tick off points and other ways to note damage to vehicle upon return. That information should or is entered into system so when vehicle is rented again damage won't be charged to whomever is taking car out.

For a host of reasons this system breaks down.

Whoever received car at return fails to note damage. Car is not taken out again and sits on lot and or whoever does cleaning doesn't report damage either.

What can and often happens is a game of "not me" or "I didn't do it" and National will go back to previous renter (or before if necessary) if current or last person to rent say's they did not cause damage in question.

There is no time limit apparently or when an audit of returned vehicle will be completed. As one stated people have received charges on CC for damage to rental several weeks or even months after completion. This is what makes retroactively applying EC free days problematic, you just don't know...

Best offense is a good defence, insisting on a full walk around by manager or other National staff at return, taking pictures of vehicle showing condition at return... But know this; department that handles damage claims one central office, not local branch. While claim for damage to a National vehicle is being disputed said customer can very well end up on National's "Do Not Rent" list. That is kiss of death because there's nothing local counter staff or manager can do to override. If system has someone blackballed only way to get off that list is by sorting things out with whatever department at National who placed "lien" so to speak.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:31 pm

How things can roll with damage claims: https://www.fox4now.com/news/local-n...he-didnt-cause

While damage may or may not have been noted at once after vehicle is returned process of assessing said damage, cost of repairs, and so on can take time. Thus, even if something is noticed right away until Enterprise Holdings has received bills for repair or estimates thereof they cannot (or will not) charge anyone.
huskyflyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

Did they extend the free day in your account or replace it with a coupon code you have to apply. Typically a coupon code free day is good for up to full size only.

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.