Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Canadian non-resident insurance card? Anyone rented from near NYC to go to Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian non-resident insurance card? Anyone rented from near NYC to go to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Want to go to Canada with rented car from National for a few weeks trip and heard you need Canadian non-resident insurance card. Talked to National agent (manager) at JFK airport location twice already and they don't seem to know what it is. They said they might (depends on model) be able to print general insurance info, but have not heard anything about Canadian non-resident card.

1. Is this card required to go through the border and drive in Canada?

2. Would I be ok if I rent a car that they will print a general insurance info for?

3. Do I need anything else? National rep told me that I will need printed reservation confirmation and don't even need insurance info, is it true?
Auto Enthusiast and jizen like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I picked up a car in Buffalo and drove it across the border. Requested one with Canadian plates. Several to choose from. I’m sure the CBSA input the licence and knew it was a rental but she said nothing. However, I have a Canadian passport.

Do you have EC? If so, why not call them and ask they look into this? AAA might know.

Another possibility is to contact CBS directly. I actually found them helpful when I called. Not sure where you plan to cross but there was a number that I found with help from Google for their Niagara office. Actually got a person.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Do you have EC? If so, why not call them and ask they look into this? AAA might know.
Sorry, what is EC? I saw some references to ES /EA but not sure what they stand for. I am pretty new to this. I don't have AAA.

Another possibility is to contact CBS directly. I actually found them helpful when I called. Not sure where you plan to cross but there was a number that I found with help from Google for their Niagara office. Actually got a person.
I might try to do that.

I wonder if National allows car changes mid-way? If Canada won't let me in (if NYC location won't be able to provide this card), would Buffalo location be able to help me change the car and then come back with that car to original NYC location without extra charge or closing original reservation?
Old May 30, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by gingleboard
Sorry, what is EC? I saw some references to ES /EA but not sure what they stand for. I am pretty new to this. I don't have AAA.

I might try to do that.

I wonder if National allows car changes mid-way? If Canada won't let me in (if NYC location won't be able to provide this card), would Buffalo location be able to help me change the car and then come back with that car to original NYC location without extra charge or closing original reservation?
Keep us posted - I have a one-way rental from NYC to YYZ at the end of june.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Want to go to Canada with rented car from National for a few weeks trip and heard you need Canadian non-resident insurance card. Talked to National agent (manager) at JFK airport location twice already and they don't seem to know what it is. They said they might (depends on model) be able to print general insurance info, but have not heard anything about Canadian non-resident card.

1. Is this card required to go through the border and drive in Canada?

2. Would I be ok if I rent a car that they will print a general insurance info for?

3. Do I need anything else? National rep told me that I will need printed reservation confirmation and don't even need insurance info, is it true?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Do you own your own car? If so, your personal auto insurance probably covers you for rental cars and for driving in Canada. If so, you can ask your personal insurance provider to issue the Canadian non-resident insurance card. If not, perhaps consider renting from Budget instead, as it seems to know all about this:

https://www.budget.com/en/help/usa-f...ss-into-canada

("Can you take a rental car to Canada?")

If you must rent from National at JFK, I would call the National office at BUF Airport and explain your situation to them. They surely have a lot of rentals which cross the border, and perhaps they can provide the Canadian insurance document to you, even for a rental originating at JFK.

Your profile indicates that you are a resident of the U.S. Are you also a U.S. citizen? If so, make sure that you have the necessary documentation to visit Canada:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1116&top=16

("I am an American citizen. What do I need to enter Canada?")
Old May 30, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

I might try to do that.

EC — Emerald club.

You can always swap out a car on the same contract. I’ve done it before. They may ask a reason. Could be anything from a mechanical issue to the seat isn’t comfortable. You get the idea. Of course, they have to have cars available.

From my experience, National only lets Executive Elite members take cars across the border. Friends tried to do one way rental and were refused. I had my choice of cars. I’m not clear if you are doing a one way rental or returning back to the US.

I found the Buffalo airport location to be easy. Highway nearby that can take you to any of the 3 major crossings. There’s also a dedicated Nexus crossing which is fantastic if you have Nexus. Have never waited more than 3 min there.

Getting Buffalo to answer the phone is impossible. I tried countless times, had EC call them, message them, etc — all to no avail.

When I rent in the US, I use my credit card insurance with my personal car insurance as a backup. Assume you can do something similar.

Upthread there are posts about California requiring evidence of insurance coverage. Worth a read.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

You can always swap out a car on the same contract. I’ve done it before. They may ask a reason. Could be anything from a mechanical issue to the seat isn’t comfortable. You get the idea. Of course, they have to have cars available.
And this can be done at any location (different from original pickup location) with no extra fee?

From my experience, National only lets Executive Elite members take cars across the border. Friends tried to do one way rental and were refused. I had my choice of cars. I’m not clear if you are doing a one way rental or returning back to the US.
No, this is not a one way rental, I am bringing it back to original location, but I am Executive Elite member.

When I rent in the US, I use my credit card insurance with my personal car insurance as a backup. Assume you can do something similar.
Upthread there are posts about California requiring evidence of insurance coverage. Worth a read.
Unfortunately, I don't have a personal car, so I will have to get National one.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that Canada's insurance requirement is for proof of third-party liability insurance, not insurance for rental-car loss/damage.

I know that there are some foreign-issued Amex Platinum cards which provide third-party liability insurance for rental cars, but as far as I know, no U.S.-issued card does so.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, I don't have a personal car, so I will have to get National one.
If you are contemplating a 14-day rental, you might want to investigate the cost of a personal, non-owner, automobile-liability policy. Could be cheaper than purchasing the additional liability insurance at National's daily rate. And it will undoubtedly be cheaper if you rent cars with some regularity.

I got my non-owner policy more than a decade ago, thanks to another FTer who recommended the Campbell-Solberg Agency in Manhattan, which writes these policies on behalf of Travelers Insurance. But any Travelers agent who handles personal lines should be able to give you a quote. The only downside is that the maximum coverage is $500K, but that might be enough for you. And if you also have an umbrella policy, then the $500K limit would probably be a non-issue.

Edited to add:

More on non-owner policies here:

https://campbellsolberg.com/non-owne...surance-quote/

("Non-Owned Auto Insurance Quote")
Auto Enthusiast, jizen and JAXPax like this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 30, 2023 at 9:51 pm
Old May 31, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I just drove across the border in a National rental car. There was no insurance check, no nothing. They asked, "is the car a rental?". I said yes. Alabama plates, in Michigan/Ontario. You'll be fine.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 12:58 pm

For all EHI rentals (National/Alamo/Enterprise), they don't issue the non-resident insurance card and the third party liability insurance covers your rental in Canada with state minimum coverage.
You can purchase a non-owner third party liability, or simply buy the supplemental liability insurance with National if it's a short rental and you need more coverage.

Just remember to ask for a copy of the rental agreement with National. Check the glove box for valid proof of insurance/registration.
Not sure if everything is electronic now In the U.S but pre-covid I always pick a car with full documents.

I've done hundreds of one-ways between US/Canada and was never asked for any proof, but the CBSA agent told me it's better to have a copy of the rental agreement just in case.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jizen
For all EHI rentals (National/Alamo/Enterprise), they don't issue the non-resident insurance card and the third party liability insurance covers your rental in Canada with state minimum coverage.
You can purchase a non-owner third party liability, or simply buy the supplemental liability insurance with National if it's a short rental and you need more coverage.
FWIW, I was surprised to discover that National's SLI -- for which they charge $16.20/day at JFK -- provides only $300K in coverage. By contrast, Avis/Budget charges $14.55/day for million-dollar SLI coverage.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Isn't non-resident insurance card required by Canada? I read somewhere about up to $600 ticket if cop stops and no yellow card. So, regular proof of insurance should suffice to cross the border and drive around Canada?

Just remember to ask for a copy of the rental agreement with National. Check the glove box for valid proof of insurance/registration.
Not sure if everything is electronic now In the U.S but pre-covid I always pick a car with full documents.
Yes, that's what they told me at JFK too that the only thing I would need is rental agreement. They said proof of insurance is not in every car, I indeed didn't see it in my last two rentals. They said they have system difficulties printing proof of insurance for states from New York for some reason.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't non-resident insurance card required by Canada? I read somewhere about up to $600 ticket if cop stops and no yellow card. So, regular proof of insurance should suffice to cross the border and drive around Canada?

Yes, that's what they told me at JFK too that the only thing I would need is rental agreement. They said proof of insurance is not in every car, I indeed didn't see it in my last two rentals. They said they have system difficulties printing proof of insurance for states from New York for some reason.
A little OT, but what are you planning to do about third-party liability insurance on the rental? Just going to rely on the NYS minimums that National provides?
Old May 31, 2023, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've never heard of this requirement - and different provinces have different insurance requirements. Now common sense says that you should carry your own insurance for liability and property damage, although if you don't live in Canada, it's highly unlikely any civil matter will affect you in case of an accident, but it's always best to have insurance.

If you live in the USA, you can get a non-owner liability policy from AAA, or the agency referenced upthread - but if you own a car and have insurance, unless your policy has a restriction on extending coverage outside of the USA, that should be all you need.
jizen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.