Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Rationale behind what cars makes it to ES/EA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I have noticed this a number of times. Oftentimes the cheapest day rate at my location is like $70 for ICAR/FCAR, $110-140 for LCAR/GXAR, $150 for a Mustang, $180ish for a Durango (all rates are per day). The Wrangler I think goes for like $150 per day. I always see Mustangs, LCARs, Durrangos, Wranglers etc on the aisle but never a GXAR or even RXAR. However, a GXAR/RXAR has a lower MRSP and daily rate than a Wrangler, Durango, Mustang etc.

Oftentimes, I see the Mercedes, BMWs etc, put in PS even though the A Class may have a lower MRSP than the aisle cars and a lower daily rate.

The only rationale I can think of is that they feel like it's easier to upsell someone for $ into a Mercedes A Class for the Mercedes badge than a Dodge Durango because the latter is a mainstream brand even if the Durango has a higher MRSP and a higher per day rate. Is it because one would rarely be willing to pay the standard $180 per day Durango daily rate and that's why it's put on the aisle an upgrade but there are people willing to pay for a paid upgrade or $120 per day fee for an A class so the A class doesn't go on the aisle?

I would also be curious to see what will replace the Chrysler 300 on the aisle as I feel like the Chrysler 300 is a long-running staple for the ES fleet. It probably pleases a lot of customers too who book ICAR and walk out with a car that may not be "luxury" but is still a step above a Corrolla. I love the Chrysler 300, but it burns too much gas in the city.

How does National decide what goes on the aisle?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
It used to be based on miles. In the past 2.5 years, I am not sure it is based on anything...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
You're right it is easier to upsell someone to a luxury brand vs a main-line brand thats simply more expensive.

Another reason is that the trucks/SUV's are easier to get right now (OEM's are building what they can make the most money on) so they tend to have more of them, which ultimately means more will get pushed to EA/ES.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
You're right it is easier to upsell someone to a luxury brand vs a main-line brand thats simply more expensive.

Another reason is that the trucks/SUV's are easier to get right now (OEM's are building what they can make the most money on) so they tend to have more of them, which ultimately means more will get pushed to EA/ES.
That may explain why lately I see so many pick ups on the aisle, but pick ups is not a class you can book with them on their website. I am not sure if that many people actually want to drive a pick up, especially for an airport location where it's probably tourist or business travellers as I get the sense the people who rent pick ups are local renters who need it for errands. I guess a pick up is better than no cars, but I would be pretty pissed to get a pick up when I reserved and wanted a sedan.

It also seems like the fleet is very FCA heavy at least here on the West Coast on the aisle. I guess FCA is the easiest brand to get cars from as I don't think FCA does much retail sales as most new looking FCA cars I see on the street are rentals (with the exception of some Jeep models and RAM1500s). It will be interesting to see what replaces the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger in the rental fleet as these are like two legends of the aisle. I think the branch uses these two cars to give the aisle a more premium feel compared to stocking the aisle with Malibus and Camrys, and the Chrysler 300/Charger is cheaper to stock than like a fleet of Mercedes. I actually love driving both of these two cars, but their fuel economy is annoying.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:26 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Don't overthink it.

Comes down to whatever the station has extra of, and nothing else.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by huskyflyer
That may explain why lately I see so many pick ups on the aisle, but pick ups is not a class you can book with them on their website. I am not sure if that many people actually want to drive a pick up, especially for an airport location where it's probably tourist or business travellers as I get the sense the people who rent pick ups are local renters who need it for errands. I guess a pick up is better than no cars, but I would be pretty pissed to get a pick up when I reserved and wanted a sedan.

It also seems like the fleet is very FCA heavy at least here on the West Coast on the aisle. I guess FCA is the easiest brand to get cars from as I don't think FCA does much retail sales as most new looking FCA cars I see on the street are rentals (with the exception of some Jeep models and RAM1500s). It will be interesting to see what replaces the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger in the rental fleet as these are like two legends of the aisle. I think the branch uses these two cars to give the aisle a more premium feel compared to stocking the aisle with Malibus and Camrys, and the Chrysler 300/Charger is cheaper to stock than like a fleet of Mercedes. I actually love driving both of these two cars, but their fuel economy is annoying.
Agreed. Last winter I got a Toyota Tacoma in Boston as thats all they had. It was 4wd and a crew cab, but other than that pretty bare bones. Didnt even have tinted windows. No way to comfortably leave my briefcase or luggage in the vehicle, especially once the snow started.

FCA has the highest days supply in the industry right now, so they are happy to sell to fleets.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Agreed. Last winter I got a Toyota Tacoma in Boston as thats all they had. It was 4wd and a crew cab, but other than that pretty bare bones. Didnt even have tinted windows. No way to comfortably leave my briefcase or luggage in the vehicle, especially once the snow started.

FCA has the highest days supply in the industry right now, so they are happy to sell to fleets.
Yeah, this year 40% of my miles driven have been FCA - compare that to last year when it was like almost 0%. I probably could get almost 80-90% FCA if I wanted to. I wonder if other Hertz/Avis is also pretty FCA heavy right now. I am surprised that Hyundai/Kias don't seem that common at EHI (at lest this year in Canada) -- I have been trying to try a Sonata for a while and I never seem to get it. But oddly enough the Hyundai Santa Cruz (the pick up truck) is showing up more often at the aisle. Funnily enough the rental agents have on a few occasion mistaken the Santa Cruz for the Tuscon because of how similar they look at the front until you see it's a pick up
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:33 am

I think there was a thread on this awhile back. It seems to be some combination of management at that particular location, available inventory on that particular day, number of reservations, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by huskyflyer
Yeah, this year 40% of my miles driven have been FCA - compare that to last year when it was like almost 0%. I probably could get almost 80-90% FCA if I wanted to. I wonder if other Hertz/Avis is also pretty FCA heavy right now. I am surprised that Hyundai/Kias don't seem that common at EHI (at lest this year in Canada) -- I have been trying to try a Sonata for a while and I never seem to get it. But oddly enough the Hyundai Santa Cruz (the pick up truck) is showing up more often at the aisle. Funnily enough the rental agents have on a few occasion mistaken the Santa Cruz for the Tuscon because of how similar they look at the front until you see it's a pick up
Plenty of Hyundai/Kia in the fleet if you want to come state-side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.