Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a limit to unlimited miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Is there a limit to unlimited miles?

I am thinking of doing this long drive in a single day, its a scenic loop drive. It's 600KM (370miles) so probably 650KM (400miles). Will I run into issues or be flagged in the future if its a one day rental? Would it be safer if I made it into a two day rental to look more reasonable to avoid getting flagged as someone that puts excessive miles? I am scared after reading online that some rental companies have a soft limit on miles, but I cant find anything about this on the rental agreement beyond no excessive wear/tear and no abuse to the car. Usually, I do around 400KM (250 miles) per day on a rental max when I only rent it one day for a fun trip and that has never been an issue so far. This will be a same pickup/return if that matters and not like a one way trip.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:44 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

National should not have any issues all with you driving 400 miles in a day. No need to overthink it.
kxc262 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
National should not have any issues all with you driving 400 miles in a day. No need to overthink it.
Thanks! Is it safe to assume Enterprise would have the same policy if in my city Enterprise/National are all corporate and all cars are in EHI's name? I am thinking of choosing Enterprise to save on the "premium airport location fee" but if National being more "premium" is more lenient I can go with National
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by huskyflyer
I am thinking of doing this long drive in a single day, its a scenic loop drive. It's 600KM (370miles) so probably 650KM (400miles). Will I run into issues or be flagged in the future if its a one day rental? Would it be safer if I made it into a two day rental to look more reasonable to avoid getting flagged as someone that puts excessive miles? I am scared after reading online that some rental companies have a soft limit on miles, but I cant find anything about this on the rental agreement beyond no excessive wear/tear and no abuse to the car. Usually, I do around 400KM (250 miles) per day on a rental max when I only rent it one day for a fun trip and that has never been an issue so far. This will be a same pickup/return if that matters and not like a one way trip.
This is nothing. There was a National renter here who used to frequently one-way from LAS-MSP and vice versa.
I have done plenty of drives that across the country and clocked 5k miles over 2 weeks.
FWIW - SFO-LAX and vice versa by car is 300+ miles and there are plenty of one-ways on this leg too.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:50 pm

I thought that renter eventually got into trouble, for frequently doing such one-ways with huge mileage over so little time?
kxc262 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
From the original thread, EAN claimed that the vehicles had excessive mechanical damage consistently, but it did not seem like it was fault of OP for those issues.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:24 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Thanks! Is it safe to assume Enterprise would have the same policy if in my city Enterprise/National are all corporate and all cars are in EHI's name? I am thinking of choosing Enterprise to save on the "premium airport location fee" but if National being more "premium" is more lenient I can go with National
It should be no different with Enterprise.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I thought that renter eventually got into trouble, for frequently doing such one-ways with huge mileage over so little time?
Originally Posted by kxc262
This is nothing. There was a National renter here who used to frequently one-way from LAS-MSP and vice versa.
I have done plenty of drives that across the country and clocked 5k miles over 2 weeks.
FWIW - SFO-LAX and vice versa by car is 300+ miles and there are plenty of one-ways on this leg too.
Originally Posted by kxc262
From the original thread, EAN claimed that the vehicles had excessive mechanical damage consistently, but it did not seem like it was fault of OP for those issues.
so driving like 350-400milws on a one day rental would be fine so long as I do not damage the car mechanically?

Do they even check for mechanical wear? Often times it’s just a quick check for cosmetic damage unless you are literally turning in the car with like the check engine light on or if they check it during the clean up.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JasYHZ
Drive the crap out of it.

I rented a car last week when my Mom was in town for a quick loop through Cape Breton to see some family; I put over 1000 km on it in a 13 hour day.

Oddly enough, Odyssey has a flag on the return screen that if you drive over 1500 km in a 24 hour rental it gives a pop up to confirm the correct out/in mileages.

We actually do a lot of one day rentals with ferry and shipping companies here in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI. We’ll have three or four guys come in and do a crew change, they’ll drive all the way up to northern New Brunswick and a old crew will take the vehicle and come back to Halifax; that’s well over 1500 km in less than 24 hours.
Is Odyssey the platform/software that EHI uses on their tablets when you check in a car? Wow, 1500KM in 24 hours on a car -- that engine must be exhausted lol

Good to know - I can't wait to take this scenic drive then around BC. Ussually people take two days to do the full 600KM but for me, I am in it for the driving and not the actual hiking/sighting so one day is enough. I cant tell you how many times I have been a bit embarrassed to turn in a car with 400km (250 miles) for a one day rental or if the rental agent is going to flag me for driving too much.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:04 pm

Wow, 1500KM in 24 hours on a car -- that engine must be exhausted lol
Highway driving is much less taxing on an engine vs city driving.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I average almost 300 miles per day on my rentals. This goes back 10 years and over 120k lifetime miles.

No one has ever said a word.

As long as your rate says “unlimited”, don’t think twice.
kxc262 and huskyflyer like this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:08 pm

I think the longest I drove a rental car in 24 hours was 800 miles. No questions asked.
Old May 15, 2023, 12:49 am

I used to have a colleague who just loved to drive. I remember he rented a Cadillac that was brand new on a business trip. Instead of flying home for the weekend, he drove from NJ to New Orleans for a long weekend to watch some sports game, did some sightseeing and the following weekend drove from NJ to the top of New Hampshire. He must have put 5k miles on a brand new car in 2 weeks. Nothing happened.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfresh713
I used to have a colleague who just loved to drive. I remember he rented a Cadillac that was brand new on a business trip. Instead of flying home for the weekend, he drove from NJ to New Orleans for a long weekend to watch some sports game, did some sightseeing and the following weekend drove from NJ to the top of New Hampshire. He must have put 5k miles on a brand new car in 2 weeks. Nothing happened.
I can relate - I love to drive too and would love to have that chance to do what your colleague did.
There’s just something so fun about driving and that’s why I never use cruise control and prefer sedans. When I rent a car I probably try almost all the features and drive modes etc except for cruise control because I think cruise control takes away the fun of driving. My dad is the opposite — he isn’t into cars and probably doesn’t use any features except for cruise control…

So far my record is 300miles in a day because it was a BMW 330i and it was so fun to drive. I thought that was already super high and I was a bit nervous when I returned the car and the agent checked the miles. But reading through these threads 300 miles probably isn’t anywhere near excessive with what the agents see
Old May 15, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Older thread, but this jives with what I've seen/heard/read in other threads on FT and in my experiences within the industry:

Alamo: Unlimited Mileage Cap?

And typically, exceeding those soft limits slightly one time isn't going to do anything. The issue is mostly constrained to serial abusers who repeatedly drive >3,000 miles a month for multiple months in a row.

I was in rental cars with Hertz pretty much solidly from about 1/20 through 3/5 and probably put on a combined 4,000 miles split across 4 rentals, and I never heard word one from Hertz about anything, and (knock on wood), I don't see any suspension of my rental privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.