Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Changing pick up and return times: Could that affect price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National

I have a reservation that was booked July 2021 for pickup at CHS mid-May 2022. Pick up and return a week later, both 2:30PM, cost all-in is $405. That same reservation booked today is closer to $575.

Due to a flight time change, I'm considering rebooking to an earlier flight that arrives late morning. Anyone know if I can change the pickup and return times (not the dates) on a National reservation without a price change? If so, what's the best way to go: online or phone agent? I would be sure to move both pick up and return times so that I don't incur any extra hourly or daily costs.

My first booking with National, thanks for any first-hand knowledge anyone can provide.

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks anyway, but after rebooking my flight I called National and the rep did change the pickup and return times with no change in the price. (Actually came out ahead just a bit, as some of the airport fees had actually gone down for a change.)
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by bob12403; Feb 10, 2022 at 3:27 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by bob12403
I have a reservation that was booked July 2021 for pickup at CHS mid-May 2022. Pick up and return a week later, both 2:30PM, cost all-in is $405. That same reservation booked today is closer to $575.

Due to a flight time change, I'm considering rebooking to an earlier flight that arrives late morning. Anyone know if I can change the pickup and return times (not the dates) on a National reservation without a price change? If so, what's the best way to go: online or phone agent? I would be sure to move both pick up and return times so that I don't incur any extra hourly or daily costs.

My first booking with National, thanks for any first-hand knowledge anyone can provide.

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks anyway, but after rebooking my flight I called National and the rep did change the pickup and return times with no change in the price. (Actually came out ahead just a bit, as some of the airport fees had actually gone down for a change.)
For future reference, picking up a few hours early will not affect the price as long as you return it at the same time or earlier.

Example:
Reservation at noon, pick up at 10 AM, return a few days later at 10 AM - no extra charge.
Reservation at noon, pick up at 10 AM, return a few days later at noon - extra charge.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by m907
For future reference, picking up a few hours early will not affect the price as long as you return it at the same time or earlier.

Example:
Reservation at noon, pick up at 10 AM, return a few days later at 10 AM - no extra charge.
Reservation at noon, pick up at 10 AM, return a few days later at noon - extra charge.
Thanks, I appreciate your response. However, that's not really the kind of change I was referencing. In your example, you're keeping the car 2 hours beyond a (let's say) 48 hour window, which includes the 30 minutes grace period. So they're going to charge you for at least one extra hour. That's not changing the rate, it's just a per hour charge kicking in for a late return, which would be applicable on any rental.

As I indicated in my post, I would be sure to move both pick up and return times so that I don't incur any extra hourly or daily costs. I was concerned that an apples-to-apples change in pick up and return times that did not exceed the 24 hour daily rental period might still affect the base rental price....especially given that the new base rental price is substantially higher.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bob12403
As I indicated in my post, I would be sure to move both pick up and return times so that I don't incur any extra hourly or daily costs. I was concerned that an apples-to-apples change in pick up and return times that did not exceed the 24 hour daily rental period might still affect the base rental price....especially given that the new base rental price is substantially higher.
Usually there is no need to move the rentals pick up times. I've booked 12pm before and picked up at 7pm and vice versa.
funnyfarm299 and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kxc262
Usually there is no need to move the rentals pick up times. I've booked 12pm before and picked up at 7pm and vice versa.
Thank you, good to know.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:48 am

Example:
How about the reverse? Reservation at noon, pick up at 2pm, return a few days later at 2pm. Original reservation noon - noon. Is there an extra charge, or will it be same as original reservation quote? (Assuming terms of original rental are still met - weekend restrictions, etc)
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slariz
How about the reverse? Reservation at noon, pick up at 2pm, return a few days later at 2pm. Original reservation noon - noon. Is there an extra charge, or will it be same as original reservation quote? (Assuming terms of original rental are still met - weekend restrictions, etc)
Same thing applies. National charges in 24 block windows starting with pick up time.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:32 am

Usually is a very important caveat here. I arrived 3 hours after my pickup time to Norfolk last year, and it took them around 15 minutes at the desk to adjust my reservation.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
Usually is a very important caveat here. I arrived 3 hours after my pickup time to Norfolk last year, and it took them around 15 minutes at the desk to adjust my reservation.
I would think that only applies to non-aisle locations where they open the rental before you arrive.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:56 am

I would think that only applies to non-aisle locations where they open the rental before you arrive.
Even if they do, the gate adjusts the billing time to actual pick up time. Example - Downtown BOS always opens contracts up in the morning and billing time starts at pick up. Reservation time basically is just a placeholder to hold a car for you.
Usually I also avoid the counters these days due to new hires or employees from Enterprise / Alamo - the gate agents seem more knowledgeable but YMMV.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Even if they do, the gate adjusts the billing time to actual pick up time. Example - Downtown BOS always opens contracts up in the morning and billing time starts at pick up. Reservation time basically is just a placeholder to hold a car for you.
Usually I also avoid the counters these days due to new hires or employees from Enterprise / Alamo - the gate agents seem more knowledgeable but YMMV.
In some places, even at airports, you'll get the keys from the counter agent with an already opened reservation in a location without gates. I had this happen at Norfolk like funnyfarm299 did as well. Always important to check if the minutes/hours will matter.
m907, Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.