Wiki Posts
Search

IFAR rental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, UA MileagePlus, BA Executive Club, EI AerClub
IFAR rental

Have a one-day IFAR coming up at National in NYC. The site says a Toyota RAV4 or similar, so I'm wondering what I'm most likely to get. Anything from that class would be fine, except the Mitsubishi Outlander/Outlander Sport or the Dodge Journey (IDK if that is SFAR or IFAR)

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by jbk1379; Mar 12, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I've seen a lot of Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain lately. The Terrains tend to be fairly well equipped but the Equinox are close to base models.
jbk1379 and m907 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by xienon
I've seen a lot of Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain lately. The Terrains tend to be fairly well equipped but the Equinox are close to base models.
I don't even bother looking at Equinoxes on the lot because they're always base trim. Same with all Kias and Hyundais.
Ordpc and xienon like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jbk1379
Have a one-day IFAR booked at National next week in NYC. The site says a Toyota RAV4 or similar, so I'm wondering what I'm most likely to get. Anything from that class would be fine, except the Mitsubishi Outlander/Outlander Sport or the Dodge Journey (IDK if that is SFAR or IFAR)

Thanks for any insight!
Depends on if you're renting from the airport or in the city. In the city, it's just whatever they have but I have seen plenty of RAV4, Sportage, Rogues, Compasses, Outlanders, Journeys, Equinoxes, a few Terrains and rarely a Tiguan. I'd say the more well equipped are the Compass (Limited editions), Outlanders (usually the trim right before the fully loaded). RAV4 and Rogues are hit or miss; some are better equipped than others but usually in the middle of the road. Kia Sportage doesn't have many options but at least it has Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. The US made cars are all base model except as someone noted, the Terrains.

Inventory moves in and out quickly in the city. If you're picking up on a Friday, it's going to be a zoo. The closer you get to the weekend, the inventory thins out and has more of the less desirable cars. They usually have the most inventory M-W and you can probably snag something really nice if they have it, if you have status, and if you ask nicely.

At the airport, I'm sure they'll just let you pick from the aisle but I'm assuming you have a city reservation if you went for an IFAR.
Ordpc and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:50 am

National's locations in midtown will give you whatever they have- unlike pretty much everyone else at locations in NYC (Avis, Hertz in particular) though, they are friendly and if they dont have exactly what you reserved, they are more likely than others to upgrade you to whatever they do have ready to go. I was dismayed to see a slew of brand new Toyota 4Runners last time I was down there, which they were handing out in lieu of the premium/full size cars they didnt have.

But if i had to pick one spot in NYC where i was most likely to get the car I asked for/preferred, it would be National in midtown.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, National Exec
I've rented from both LGA and the Downtown Brooklyn locations and agree with everything said here -- you likely will have more options to choose from at the airport, and it will be a luck of the draw situation at the city locations. The Downtown BK location staff are great (they've given me free gas and after briefly losing my card once they gave me 2 free days). With a midsize car res over the last 6 months there I've ended up with Nissan Rogues (twice), a Toyota Tacoma 4-door pick up, and a Ford Fusion. Last time I rented from LGA (in December) I had a mid-level RAV4.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xienon
Thanks! If they have a Terrain, I may try to get one. Are those just rebadged Equinoxes in a sense? Also, do they have the 2.0 engine from the Equinox or is it the base one?

Originally Posted by m907
I don't even bother looking at Equinoxes on the lot because they're always base trim. Same with all Kias and Hyundais.
Sucks about the Kias and Hyundais, because Kia/Hyundai make some pretty good cars.

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Depends on if you're renting from the airport or in the city. In the city, it's just whatever they have but I have seen plenty of RAV4, Sportage, Rogues, Compasses, Outlanders, Journeys, Equinoxes, a few Terrains and rarely a Tiguan. I'd say the more well equipped are the Compass (Limited editions), Outlanders (usually the trim right before the fully loaded). RAV4 and Rogues are hit or miss; some are better equipped than others but usually in the middle of the road. Kia Sportage doesn't have many options but at least it has Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. The US made cars are all base model except as someone noted, the Terrains.

Inventory moves in and out quickly in the city. If you're picking up on a Friday, it's going to be a zoo. The closer you get to the weekend, the inventory thins out and has more of the less desirable cars. They usually have the most inventory M-W and you can probably snag something really nice if they have it, if you have status, and if you ask nicely.

At the airport, I'm sure they'll just let you pick from the aisle but I'm assuming you have a city reservation if you went for an IFAR.
Yep, the plan is to rent from a city location. What car Would you reccomend I ask for (I’ve got Emerald Club and I’m probably renting on a wednesday)

Originally Posted by NBNY424
National's locations in midtown will give you whatever they have- unlike pretty much everyone else at locations in NYC (Avis, Hertz in particular) though, they are friendly and if they dont have exactly what you reserved, they are more likely than others to upgrade you to whatever they do have ready to go. I was dismayed to see a slew of brand new Toyota 4Runners last time I was down there, which they were handing out in lieu of the premium/full size cars they didnt have.

But if i had to pick one spot in NYC where i was most likely to get the car I asked for/preferred, it would be National in midtown.
Getting a 4Runner on a PCAR/FCAR reservation would be weird... Honestly, National should have an RFAR category with all the bigger SFARs (including the 4Runner)

Also, I MIGHT rent from Enterprise, which is a bit closer to me, would that be a similar selection? Would you recommend National or Enterprise for a better fleet selection?

Last edited by jbk1379; Mar 17, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:22 pm

Are you asking re NYC specifically? I have only had negative experiences at Enterprise in NYC (lovely staff but always garbage options, and inability/refusal to upgrade even if they are missing the class you reserved) and only positive ones at National (always given something very new, and twice upgraded to very nice vehicles). The National garage on 57th, shared with Alamo, is significantly larger than the ones at the Enterprise locations I have been to, but it all depends on availability/randomness. So who knows
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NBNY424
Are you asking re NYC specifically? I have only had negative experiences at Enterprise in NYC (lovely staff but always garbage options, and inability/refusal to upgrade even if they are missing the class you reserved) and only positive ones at National (always given something very new, and twice upgraded to very nice vehicles). The National garage on 57th, shared with Alamo, is significantly larger than the ones at the Enterprise locations I have been to, but it all depends on availability/randomness. So who knows
alright, I think I’ll try national!
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jbk1379
Also, I MIGHT rent from Enterprise, which is a bit closer to me, would that be a similar selection? Would you recommend National or Enterprise for a better fleet selection?
National is usually going to have better cars and always going to have better service.

In that class, I would ask for a Ford Escape or Mazda CX-5 as they tend to be better optioned than the Equinox, RAV4, etc., though they are also less common.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:29 am

I can second that the Fords are always not-just-base-trim, in my humble experience, tho this is based not on National specifically. The RAV-4s and Sportages that I have been given--while brand new-- were Flinstones-like in terms of options and upgrades, for example, whereas my Edge from last week was old but nicely equipped.

But in general, at any NYC garage, they are going to be polite and then give you what they have/is convenient to bring up. Go National here.
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.